Is there really a market for Teddy Bridgewater? (1 Viewer)

LOL, I see what you did with 45 on the list. I would hate to see him go to a division opponent but he is a Florida guy and Arians would let him open it up more. I just hope we're not in a NE situation watching a guy potentially lead his team to the SB while we get nostalgia with the an aging QB.

In college, he had 9.3 yards per attempt which was top 10, and higher than any year of Trevor Lawrence or Joe Burrow, except for Burrow this past year.

In 2013, He was 13th of all QBs in plays over 30 yards, and 12th of all QBs in plays over 20 yards. If you look (wayyy) down that list, you'll see a couple players that you might recognize:

The notion that Teddy is this super conservative QB is misguided. He was with the Vikings who at that point (and even still, somewhat) ran one of the most conservative, molasses offenses in modern NFL history, and the Saints who were very clearly running a conservative offense as well.

He's not a conservative QB, but he's capable of running a conservative game plan, which are two different things that a lot of people have a hard time separating.

He would thrive in Arians' or Brady's system. I hope it doesn't happen.

Teddy has stated (reportedly) that he needs a “special situation” to leave N.O.

I think that situation is with the Chargers. The Chargers have a solid OL, an accomplished vet WR in Keenan Allen, an explosive up-and-comer in Mike Williams, a young TE in Henry, and a very good young receiving RB in Ekeler... they may also keep Melvin Gordon.
The Bolts also have a defense full of talent on every level.

If I were a betting man, I think Bridgewater lands with the Chargers

LOL, I see what you did with 45 on the list. I would hate to see him go to a division opponent but he is a Florida guy and Arians would let him open it up more. I just hope we're not in a NE situation watching a guy potentially lead his team to the SB while we get nostalgia with the an aging QB.
For the NFC South's Bucs or Panthers to not only get their new QB, but take away the Saints' future QB at the same time is an element that the Saints and those other teams will certainly factor in as far as all 3's pursuance of Bridgewater. The vision of Teddy excelling with one of those teams while the Saints struggle to replace Drew over years is something those teams must weigh, as it could potentially haunt any of them by their action or inaction. But it's a factor. And if anyone thinks teams don't like to stick it to other teams are fooling themselves.

Teddy has stated (reportedly) that he needs a “special situation” to leave N.O.

I think that situation is with the Chargers. The Chargers have a solid OL, an accomplished vet WR in Keenan Allen, an explosive up-and-comer in Mike Williams, a young TE in Henry, and a very good young receiving RB in Ekeler... they may also keep Melvin Gordon.
The Bolts also have a defense full of talent on every level.

If I were a betting man, I think Bridgewater lands with the Chargers
thankfully for Teddy there are multiple "special situations" out there this offseason. One thing he absolutely will not do is play the part of a "bridge QB" while the team drafts a rookie. That was his hesitation with the Jets, which is why he put the kibosh on the initial deal and squeezed out another million from them, knowing the odds were high they would draft a QB. which they did (Sam Darnold). And from there Teddy was "politicked" out as his knee held up beautifully and he killed it in the preseason, so the Jets jettisoned Teddy before Darnold began his rookie year, because every failed game the drum would've beat harder and harder to start Teddy, and the Jets org did not want any apparent competition or doubt in their #3 pick Sam Darnold.

This is also one of the prime reasons why Teddy ultimately declined the Dolphins offer to start and to pay more than the Saints had. Dolphins were in position to draft a QB weeks after Teddy would've signed, or been prepping to draft a QB a year later. Either way Teddy would've been in that same Jets spot again. Teddy Bridgewater will not be a "bridge" QB for any team ever again. If you sign him, he's your #1 guy period. THAT'S what he means by his conditions.

I think the days of the 'stay in the pocket' QB in the NFL are becoming a thing of the past..with the speeds of defenses this day an time you need QBs that can make plays with there legs,, I also think that going forward if we are to be successful, when you see your qb taking sacks and not able to elude the rush, you need to make an adjustment right then, whether it hurts some peoples feelings or not...
Rodgers, Garopollo, Mahomes and Tannehill have combined for about 400 yards rushing this season. That breaks down to about 12 yards per game per QB. If each player completed just 4% more of their passes it would have equated to more yards while taking less hits.

Lamar Jackson, Cam Newton, Watson, Kyler Murray, Josh Allen, Gardner Minshew and every single other QB in the top 12 in rushing yards this year will be able to use their athletic ability to run around and find TV's to watch the rest of the playoffs.

Rodgers, Garopollo, Mahomes and Tannehill have combined for about 400 yards rushing this season. That breaks down to about 12 yards per game per QB. If each player completed just 4% more of their passes it would have equated to more yards while taking less hits.

Lamar Jackson, Cam Newton, Watson, Kyler Murray, Josh Allen, Gardner Minshew and every single other QB in the top 12 in rushing yards this year will be able to use their athletic ability to run around and find TV's to watch the rest of the playoffs.

A QB that is able to move the pocket and roll outside of it (every QB left in the playoffs) is not the same thing as a QB that runs a bunch. You're making a false equivalence. The poster you quoted said that statue pocket QBs are on their way out (they are), not that running QBs are the future (to be determined)

I think the days of the 'stay in the pocket' QB in the NFL are becoming a thing of the past..with the speeds of defenses this day an time you need QBs that can make plays with there legs,, I also think that going forward if we are to be successful, when you see your qb taking sacks and not able to elude the rush, you need to make an adjustment right then, whether it hurts some peoples feelings or not...

Every time a "trend" of mobile QB's come into the league people start talking about the pocket QB becoming a thing of the past and there are rock solid wrong.

I've been watching NFL football for over 50 years and if there is one thing that has remained a constant is the pocket passer. There are far too many dynamic pocket passers to even think that that talent will become obsolete even by todays NFL standard. Not every good or great passer can beat defenses with their legs or mobility. There's no switch that can be flipped in that regard.

There are exceptions like Lamar Jackson but in all honesty how long will he last with his style of play? How long did RGIII last? How many championships did Vick win?

There will always be room for pocket passers in the NFL.

Washington ain’t going anywhere with Haskins. He wasn’t even good at Ohio State. They’ll trade him to make room or make him the backup. Bridgewater would have a good situation there with that defensive line, and no young replacement since they’re drafting Chase Young instead of a QB.
He was good enough to beat out Joe Burrow. Jones was the surprise pick not Haskins, he put up good numbers at a top notch program. They're going give him at least another year.

A QB that is able to move the pocket and roll outside of it (every QB left in the playoffs) is not the same thing as a QB that runs a bunch. You're making a false equivalence. The poster you quoted said that statue pocket QBs are on their way out (they are), not that running QBs are the future (to be determined)
Exactly what we need. Somebody that can roll out avoid the rush long enough for a wr to get open. Would actually love to see taysom have a chance to run these type of plays in the upcoming preseason. He would definitely tie up a defender just to spy on him.

Every time a "trend" of mobile QB's come into the league people start talking about the pocket QB becoming a thing of the past and there are rock solid wrong.

I've been watching NFL football for over 50 years and if there is one thing that has remained a constant is the pocket passer. There are far too many dynamic pocket passers to even think that that talent will become obsolete even by todays NFL standard. Not every good or great passer can beat defenses with their legs or mobility. There's no switch that can be flipped in that regard.

There are exceptions like Lamar Jackson but in all honesty how long will he last with his style of play? How long did RGIII last? How many championships did Vick win?

There will always be room for pocket passers in the NFL.
Russell Wilson is the best example because of his longevity and he knows how to slide.
I think the running, mobile, and pocket QB are getting conflated. Outside of this board, most people will say that Mahomes and Rogers are the prototypical QBs. Neither of them are runners but they can extend a play when needed and have rocket arms. Plus if you need to pick up a first down by runnin 10+ yards they can do it.
LJ is the best combination i've seen so far but he has to stop taking those hits. I think pocket model of Brady and Manning might be coming to an end because I do think you need to move around better with these athletic D lineman. Our current offense is not built around the "running" QB but the traditional pocket passer. This why think Teddy is the more logical successor than TH.

In that case, using highsight, I agree because they've been obsolete for some time now. Even the really slow guys like Manning and Brady could step up and slide inside the pocket to find throwing lanes and avoid pressure better than most mobile QB's. I actually think we should roll Brees out more, he's been absolutely fantastic the past few seasons when rolling out and inside the pocket he is as good as I've ever seen with his footwork and ability to slide combined with his instincts feeling the pressure.

Yeah but so far the only running QB that has lasted more than a hot minute is Wilson. Some of that is his body type/build and some of it is the fact that he's also an elite passer. You can't spy him because he'll chew up your defense in the middle once he's got your Mike on a yo yo. I think you really need to rule Wilson out of the conversation. He's like a top 5 passer currently regardless of his legs. His legs have let Pete Carroll skimp on offensive line and good weapons for too long and it finally caught up to them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom