Is there really a market for Teddy Bridgewater? (2 Viewers)

I personally think Brees is retiring and TB will be the Saints starter. However if I am wrong I would guess TB ends up in Miami or NE.

I think TB is the smart choice for Miami because they know what they are getting and they can use the draft to build a young core around him. The Miami situation this offseason is much different than last year when Payton convinced TB to stick around.

I can see NE being very interested in TB based off his 5 game run with the Saints. He showed a lot in that stretch that Bellicheck has to like but the problem here is TB is a much different QB than Bellicheck has ever coached.

Andy Dalton is the wild card in QB free agency. He is under contract but it would take a mid round pick to get him and word is NE is interested. I could see him fitting in nicely with the Chargers as well. He is a QB I thought would fit well with Payton after Brees but I go with TB for a longer upside at this point.

I personally think Brees is retiring and TB will be the Saints starter. However if I am wrong I would guess TB ends up in Miami or NE.

I think TB is the smart choice for Miami because they know what they are getting and they can use the draft to build a young core around him. The Miami situation this offseason is much different than last year when Payton convinced TB to stick around.

I can see NE being very interested in TB based off his 5 game run with the Saints. He showed a lot in that stretch that Bellicheck has to like but the problem here is TB is a much different QB than Bellicheck has ever coached.

Andy Dalton is the wild card in QB free agency. He is under contract but it would take a mid round pick to get him and word is NE is interested. I could see him fitting in nicely with the Chargers as well. He is a QB I thought would fit well with Payton after Brees but I go with TB for a longer upside at this point.
I get what you're saying except for that part.

I don't think Brees is retiring so I think it probable that TB will go to another team this off-season, but the pickings are slim. Frankly, I believe it most likely he'd end up in Pittsburgh.

You can add Tennessee to that list. There is no way they will be happy with just 100yds passing in these last two games. Yes they have a run game but they will be looking to improve.

Ryan Tannehill has done amazing since starting for the Titans. The final 8 games of the regular season alone he passed for 2,093 yards, 23 TDs, and 5 INT. (Overall this season he has 2,742 yards, 22 TD, 6 INT.) They just have switched to an even more run heavy game since the playoffs started because Derrick Henry is a freak and the run game is winning a lot of games in this years playoffs. The Titans are definitely fine with Ryan and his 160 combined playoff passing yards

I get what you're saying except for that part.
He's not the typical pocket QB that Belichick has had in his offense. TB is not a running QB but he is able to do a lot more than Brady and Bledsoe before him and I would be curious as to how Belicick would adapt to the change to his typical prototype QB.

He would be an upgrade to the current (2019) starter for these teams:

- Cincy
- New England
- Carolina
- Tampa
- Chicago
- San Diego
- Pittsburgh (probably better than whatever Big Ben will be in 2020 as well)
- Tennessee
- Miami
- New York Jets
- New York Giants
- Oakland
- Jacksonville
- Washington
- LA Rams

The only ones I think we can definitely eliminate are:
- Cincy will draft Burrow.
- Giants will try to develop Jones.
- Jacksonville is not going to invest more money into QB with the Foles contract and Minshew on the roster, even if Teddy is better than either of them.
- The Rams are too heavily invested in Goff, even though he's trash.

That leaves 10 teams. With about half of those ten having a clear need (Tampa, Chicago, SD, Miami, maybe NYJ), and the other half being potential suitors depending on how those teams see their future.

Out of those 10 teams, his competition is: Rivers, Brady, Roethlisberger, Newton, Carr, D'Arnold, Haskins, Winston, Tannehill, and Tua. He's better than all or most of those guys. You'd have to think every single one of those guys is better than Teddy to believe there won't be a market for him as a starter this offseason.

There is going to be a market for him.

He would be an upgrade to the current (2019) starter for these teams:

- Cincy
- New England
- Carolina
- Tampa
- Chicago
- San Diego
- Pittsburgh (probably better than whatever Big Ben will be in 2020 as well)
- Tennessee
- Miami
- New York Jets
- New York Giants
- Oakland
- Jacksonville
- Washington
- LA Rams

The only ones I think we can definitely eliminate are:
- Cincy will draft Burrow.
- Giants will try to develop Jones.
- Jacksonville is not going to invest more money into QB with the Foles contract and Minshew on the roster, even if Teddy is better than either of them.
- The Rams are too heavily invested in Goff, even though he's trash.

That leaves 10 teams. With about half of those ten having a clear need (Tampa, Chicago, SD, Miami, maybe NYJ), and the other half being potential suitors depending on how those teams see their future.

Out of those 10 teams, his competition is: Rivers, Brady, Roethlisberger, Newton, Carr, D'Arnold, Haskins, Winston, Tannehill, and Tua. He's better than all or most of those guys. You'd have to think every single one of those guys is better than Teddy to believe there won't be a market for him as a starter this offseason.

There is going to be a market for him.
About 9 of those teams have an investment in a young QB right now and I do not think they are ready to take on a veteran QB salary in addition to or in place of the one they have.

Don't rule out Oakland. I'm not going out on a limb here and predicting that, I'm just saying, the fit could be right.

It's probably likely they stick with Carr, but they can get away from him for only $5M in dead money, and could split that across two seasons if they use a 6/1 designation on him.

And Gruden was very much enamored with TB in his old days running ESPN draft specials. (To be fair, Gruden may not have publicly spoken a bad word about any player.) But he and Payton have a solid relationship, and if TB was theoretically going to go somewhere, Payton probably wouldn't mind "pushing him" out of division and conference.

Again, in no means am I saying it will happen, but just a spot most people don't mention.

This off season is going to be the most interesting in years. First, Brees does he play or retire? While I‘d make a terrible gambler, my money would be on his retiring. Then what do the Saints do? Taysom or Teddy? Teddy proved he could win subbing for Brees. It wasn’t always pretty but he won. Taysom is still something of an unknown. How would he do as a full time QB? Can he learn to slide and not run like a fullback? Lots of questions. And if either guy does leave who will Saints bring in at backup (both Bridgewater and Hill have long, long injury histories)?

Next what happens with Brady? There are rumors that Brady wants to secure his legacy by going to another team and winning without Belichick. There are also strong rumors that Belichick was ready to move on from Brady by making Jimmy Garoppolo his starting QB a few seasons ago but Pats owner Robert Kraft interceded on Brady’s behalf. Kraft basically told Belichick that Brady would be the Patriots starting QB until he said otherwise and the team would be trading Garappolo. Belichick wasn’t happy but he wasn’t about to abandon a record setting perennial Super Bowl contender in a terrible division tailor made to get them into the playoffs every season. I suspect that given Kraft’s love for Brady and Belichick having no other option that Brady gets a huge payday to finish his career a Patriot.

And yes there will be a market for both Teddy and Taysom. I’m just hoping the Saints can hold on to one of them.

If you want to wager anything on brees retiring i'll take that bet. We can find an escrow

I remember Teddy saying in an interview something to the effect that he wasn't trying to be a Drew Brees on the field...he just wanted Coach to call the plays and he'd go out there and execute. What I saw on the field was his ability to progress through his receivers, but was reluctant to pull the trigger on tight coverage where he had to throw them open.

That said, he seems like a role player that can execute a game plan, but not exactly a guy that will carry a team on his shoulders if one, or many, of the other role players fail to execute. How many of those other teams looking for QBs are looking for a super star vs a solid game manager / field general?

I remember Teddy saying in an interview something to the effect that he wasn't trying to be a Drew Brees on the field...he just wanted Coach to call the plays and he'd go out there and execute. What I saw on the field was his ability to progress through his receivers, but was reluctant to pull the trigger on tight coverage where he had to throw them open.

That said, he seems like a role player that can execute a game plan, but not exactly a guy that will carry a team on his shoulders if one, or many, of the other role players fail to execute. How many of those other teams looking for QBs are looking for a super star vs a solid game manager / field general?
This is one the best & accurate analysis I've read on TB.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom