Is this a new era in pro football $$ (1 Viewer)

State Of Affairs

Just a dude...
Gold VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Man, I've never seen anything like this year.... I mean unless you are truly a difference maker with good character and hard worker, you're not getting a big contract...

We don't care what you did in the past, you'll get paid for what you will do on the field this year...

Is this a new mentality of NFL executives or is it just temporary until 1015, when the new tv contract kicks in and the salary cap goes up? I don't know, but I like it.... Tired of hearing "he's in a contract year", someone pays you $3mm, $5mm or even $7mm to play football only to get a half effort after you get that big contract....

I think it's a privilege to play in the NFL and make that kind of money doing it and I don't think guys like Vince Young and Jared Gather should get another chance to make big money... To get all that and behave that way after they fill there pocket with money then not put it all out there for the teammates, city, fans and GM that put his neck and job on the line to sign you...

Cap is tight for everyone, teams have entire departments now devoted to spending wisely. Teams are using analytics more than ever. The days of guys like Haynesworth getting 100 million dollar contracts are gone.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

There is no meteoric rise in cap coming in 2015. This has been debunked numerous times already.

I think with the way that NFL is trying to make the game safer, improve the image of the league and teams being burned by suspensions, fines, off-field matters...it was only a matter of time.

You can only dig into the wallet so many times and get burned before you stop handing out the cash. Contract year or not...these athletes are looked at as "heros" or "public images" of the team and community. Sure, you're going to find teams with solid front offices and coaches taking a flyer every once in a while, but no one wants to shell out bucks for a guy who no matter how well he plays...can't get on the field because of the things he's doing wrong off of it.

Well, there's still a big spending spree in the first two or three days where certain players are overpaid. What seems different is no one's paying big money to players - even big name players - on the wrong side of 30. With the rookie salary cap, it's cheaper to try to get good players from the draft and develop them, and then keep the ones who are core players when the time for their second contract comes up - but they're still young.

This is a short term reaction, but it will last another year and many players will be forced to sit out or retire for a year. Most of the teams are feeling the effects of the flat cap and just are trying to maintain their current players under contract. Some are renegotiating their players for cuts. If that is the case on a team then overpaying at this time will create some bad blood within the locker room.

Teams also realize that next year their committed contracts will require them to keep their free agent spending down all this offseason. I think after the draft there will be more FA cuts and if they want to make a team roster they will need to sign contracts which are more cap-neutral, that means taking a salary between 1-2 million per year.

I think the Saints can offer some bargain 3-4 players lots of advantages on their defensive side, as this team can take on players who would compete for a starting spot. If they can prove their value then they can sign an extension next year that matches the cap rate going forward.

I think the biggest change is the rookie salary cap. Teams are unlikely to pay high salaries for "questionable" talent when they can get younger "questionable" talent via the draft at a far lower cost. Before, high draft choices often got a lot more money than known FA talents.

Also, the cap is tight for a lot of teams.

And the draft is deep

Put those together and you have this year. Future drafts are unlikely to be as deep. It will be interesting to see what happens next year and the following.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom