Is this Our Pick in the 2nd Round.... J.J. Arcega-Whiteside WR from Stanford. (1 Viewer)

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
Just got finished reading an article on Arcega Whiteside. This WR is scary good. He had the tops in the nation of winning contested catches last year- nearly 2x his closest competitor. I'll post the link to the article below

However, what the class of 2019 lacks in can't-miss studs, it makes up for in depth. There are a number of Day 2 prospects at wide receiver who have a good shot at becoming quality starters.

Stanford's J.J. Arcega-Whiteside won't be the first wideout selected on Day 2. But with a tantalizing combination of size, strength, speed and the best high-pointing skills of any receiver in this draft, Arcega-Whiteside could wind up being the best wide receiver selected outside the first round in 2019.

As a matter of fact, the 6'2", 225-pounder may wind up the best wideout from this class, period.

Whiteside is a monster at high pointing the ball and he seems to be on a fierce mission to win every contested ball

To say that he excels at making catches in traffic is an understatement. The son of professional basketball players, Arcega-Whiteside is a master at using his size and 33¼-inch arms to make contested grabs. Arcega-Whiteside didn't just lead the nation with 19 such receptions in 2018—he had nearly twice as many as the next-closest receiver, per PFF.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...om&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_medium=referral

The negatives on him seem to be speed. He only ran a 4.45 at pro day. Some say he is not explosive off the line, but he creates separation very quickly and this is a big strong WR with 33" arms.

If we go WR in the 2nd round, this could be our guy

Last edited:
Am I wrong, but isn't that pretty much what Urban Meyer was saying about Michael Thomas before he was drafted by us. Not as fast as others but fought for every contested ball and was great at winning those battles

Am I wrong, but isn't that pretty much what Urban Meyer was saying about Michael Thomas before he was drafted by us. Not as fast as others but fought for every contested ball and was great at winning those battles

Luke-the more I read about this kid, the more I was impressed. And much sounded like the billing on MT before the draft. Apparently, Whiteside's dad was a pro basketball player and taught his kid what it would take to be a pro. He is constantly studying to get better, to learn more routes, more tricks to gain separation and he seems to have the intangibles to succeed.

I think he would be a great pick. The only question I have has to do with what SP wants. Does he want another big strong WR like MT or does he want a speed replacement for Ginn?

Chad Reuter thinks so.
chadreuter 12.17.35 PM.png
Thanks again for posting Luke. So Whiteside may not be as sexy as some of the others we have discussed on the board, a number who likely will not be there at #62, but he sounds like a low-risk, high upside pick

Personally, I hope Ireland finds a gem O-lineman at #62, but if we go Whiteside, I'd quit trumping Tommy Parsons for a week :funny1:

Just got finished reading an article on Arcega Whiteside. This WR is scary good. He had the tops in the nation of winning contested catches last year- nearly 2x his closest competitor. I'll post the link to the article below

Whiteside is a monster at high pointing the ball and he seems to be on a fierce mission to win every contested ball

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...om&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_medium=referral

The negatives on him seem to be speed. He only ran a 4.45 at pro day. Some say he is not explosive off the line, but he creates separation very quickly and this is a big strong WR with 33" arms.

I dont want another player from Standford. #ProjectPeat

However, most of the players from tOSU have become tier 1 or 2 players.

If N'Keal Harry, H Butler, or Deebo were off the board, I would 1Mil% be all gravy w/JJ.A-W as the pick. He's literally a bigger more athletic version of Anquan Boldin coming out of Florida St. JJ.A-W is the perfect fit for our O.

He looks like the second coming of Chris Carter in 50/50 situations.

The problem is that he isn't as consistent in non-jumpball situations, is a long-strider, and is not the best route-runner.

There are several more complete Receivers available but if a situational guy is what they are after then so be it.

I like receivers that use body control to position for the catch. Guys that go get it with their hands. Sounds like a good pick to me.
Now if only he could do that to become more consistent underneath.

Boldin and Mike Thomas were much more consistent at catching short passes.

Just saying.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom