Is this racist? (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Over the years in many movie threads (some started by me) including the most recent: Favorite But Underrated Movies

I've said that I love Asian movies, Korean movies in particular.

When I meet a Korean person I tend to bring up how much I love the movies

I've had great conversations with people, who seem surprised and pleased that I've seen so many.

Sometimes I've seen more than they have.

I hardly know anyone else who likes them so I'm happy to have the conversations too.

I've given reccomendations and gotten recommendations

Then someone said, "you don't think that's a little racist?"

That honestly never crossed my mind and when I did think about it this was my thought

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX19-S4-V54

I guess if it happened to me and someone came up to me and said, "I love Superfly and Fresh Prince" I might think that was at least a little weird

To me? No.
I think there is rampant racism in this country/world but sometimes some are just kind of looking for it, even when it isn’t there. Just my .02.

I can’t for the life of me figure out how, in that context, that could be construed as racist.

And I grew up with Fresh Prince and loved it. How the heck is that weird? I also grew up in an amazing all black church. I don’t choose to make color or race the first thing I see in a person, or judge them off of either.

(I’m white)

Aren't you just appreciating a culture? I thought racism should be, you know.. bad things.

Definition of RACISM

I mean, if you said to every Korean that they must be good at math.. that's a bit racist, in a positive way. But you still are appropriating a characteristic or action to their race alone in that case.... But saying you enjoy a certain genre of movie doesn't seem to be the same thing.

There's a guy here who every time he sees me wants to talk about New Orleans. He has asked me if know how to make gumbo, told me about the time he volunteered in Nola after Katrina this other time, and of course Mardi Gras, Jazz Fest, etc. The last time I saw him was on Tuesday, he asked if I was watching Sydney Torres' show.

It gets a little annoying, but he means well. He's interested in the culture so I humor him.

If you replace Korean with American, is this even a question?

Each country has its own culture, even the ones who are homogeneous racially.
Korean is not the same as korean.

It's not racism.

Just cultural appropriation. Shame on you.

Hope this helps. :)

not racist - not even that weird (my african american rather 'woke' wife loves all things British - doesn't seem weird)
it's bigoted if you start to make broader cultural assumptions based on your appreciation of k-movies and then racist if you acted and expected certain things based on the bias (if you saw 8 korean girls and assume they were k-pop and requested a song - not cool) - or as DC is saying, trying to talk N Korean politics w a korean-american friend (like pushing the conversation that direction)

BUT this topic opens a whole can of worms for me - next post...

Me loving Belgian beers and saying so doesn't make me a Flemist.

On the other hand, if you like Blaxploitation films from the 70s . . . Foxy Brown, Shaft, Super Fly, etc . . . well, you really had to be there. The 70s without the music from some of those movies, especially Shaft, wouldn't have been the 70s. Blacula on the other hand, was just plain cheesy. But it was meant to be that way. Go look up the video to Basketball Jones, they showed that in theaters nationwide! Gawd, I miss the 70s. Is that racist? :hihi:

On that note @DadsDream , there was some reverse racism movie I think starring John Travolta (I think)...I’ll have to dig and try to find the one I’m thinking of. Like a reverse oppression type movie if I remember correctly.

Found it. White Man’s Burden.

You already know the answer. It's not racist. I like brown girls. Is that racist?

Well, technically, yes it is. But popular opinion likely wouldn't consider that racist.

Now if I said "I like white girls" that'd be different. Saying you like white girls is not much different than saying you like brown girls. But when you're a white American it's different. "White" is the key word that makes you racist.

You Liking Asian movies is similar I'd say.

On the other hand, if you like Blaxploitation films from the 70s . . . Foxy Brown, Shaft, Super Fly, etc . . . well, you really had to be there. The 70s without the music from some of those movies, especially Shaft, wouldn't have been the 70s. Blacula on the other hand, was just plain cheesy. But it was meant to be that way. Go look up the video to Basketball Jones, they showed that in theaters nationwide! Gawd, I miss the 70s. Is that racist? :hihi:

I just watched blacula for the first time earlier this year

Yeah, that could have been better

Thanks everyone, it was actually bothering me a bit

from college to my marriage this is my track record for 'major' relationships:
-- 1/2 japanese, 1/2 texan. she was a grad theatre student and i was an undergrad, she def was pursuer and steered the relationship. if there was a root cause to what follows, it's probably her
(nice jewish/italian girl)
-- older (36 to my 22) full japanese - born in japan - married then separated
-- same age as me full korean - her parents were born in korea, she was born here and went to Brown then Yale
-- 1/2 chinese, 1/2 scandanvian - 6ft tall incredibel dancer, we were together 7 years
(tatted up coonash girl living in tx)
-- 1/4 japanese, 1/4 korean, 1/2 mexican woman from tx
-- reunited with korean after 9/11 eventually we get engaged, live in NO, but her parents breakm us up
(and now my lovely wife)

ok, seems a bit problematic on the surface, but here are my caveats
-- aside from the korean and 1st gf all are dancers and there are a LOT of asian dancers
-- when i first got to NY i worked in chinatown with a chinese-american dance company - also danced for japanese-american, another chinese and a phillipino company
-- none of the women are remotely similar (except for long dark hair)
-- to the best of my knowledge, none of the women dated asian men except for the full japanese women when she lived in japan

alright, i've stated my case and await your verdict

\

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom