Is this team still responding to Payton? (1 Viewer)

Big Up Bush

Super Bowl Bound
Reaction score
I love Payton. He's done a lot for this team. But, looking beyond the goodwill generated from the SB win and those playoff runs, there have been some questionable personal and personnel decisions that really fall on his shoulders. At almost any other club, Payton would've been fired a long time ago. My main problem is that the season is already starting to feel like a few of the past seasons where we were given reasons for hope (i.e. Falcons and Panthers losing, all we have to do is win!)... When I see the issues we've faced over the last 2 years -- turnovers, extremely sieve-like defense, penalties, inability to win at home or with crowd noise -- I can't help but think that the Payton team "swagger" we remember is gone. Why aren't we looking for a new coach now?

Eman5805

Soulful Voice Actor
Reaction score
It's not like we haven't shown improvement in areas. Clearly our offense is firing on all cylinders. I know some will say that the brilliant formations and playcalls are somehow all Brees, but that's just absurd. Even after 10 years, our offense remains one of the top offenses in the entire league. The only constants for most of this time have been our offensive coaches, Payton, Brees, Evans and Strief.

So no, I can't say our problems are tied to Payton not getting through to our team. I mean, since the season began we've lost Breaux, Williams, Ellerbe, Moore, and Anthony. To say nothing of how we'd lost Rankins in preseason, had to cut Lewis, and Kikaha and Wilson were lost in mini-camp.

So, I say. Let's shelve this topic, see how we look once Breaux, Rankins, Moore, and Anthony come back. Ellerbe too, I guess. No guarantees there, but whatever. I'm always optimistic. He at least showed up to practices last week. Tomorrow is an off day. We'll have more info Wednesday.

DJ1BigTymer

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
There aren't many members of this team that has been on the roster greater than 4 years. How could his message or coaching style be lost on them?

Joodas Avila

MillenniaMMA.com
Reaction score
Listen to Vaccaro speak. Cam, Breaux, Brees, Strief, M. Thomas, Cooks, Snead, all of them. They seem clearly on board to me. We have injuries at key positions. Not to mention the fact that we're in the process of restocking and rebuilding the team. I personally think it's the "fans" who arent exactly responding to Payton anymore. But as for our players, theyre totally gonna ride or die with Payton, and so am I.

zippy

Veteran
Reaction score
Listen to Vaccaro speak. Cam, Breaux, Brees, Strief, M. Thomas, Cooks, Snead, all of them. They seem clearly on board to me. We have injuries at key positions. Not to mention the fact that we're in the process of restocking and rebuilding the team. I personally think it's the "fans" who arent exactly responding to Payton anymore. But as for our players, theyre totally gonna ride or die with Payton, and so am I.
how's that 7 yr rebuild working for ya? :jpshakehead:

Trey W.

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Our offense has been one of the best and has ranked in the top 5 for just about every year since Sean arrived. The problem has lied with the defense and special teams during Sean's tenure and sadly the only thing that has changed on the defensive side of the ball has been the DC. Our D-line and Linebackers coaches have yet to develop a player from good to great. Other than Vilma who was already a season vet and pro-bowler, no other player on the front 7 has accomplished much and this has hurt our defense.

Sean's one major flaw is his loyalty to Bill Johnson, Joe Vitt, and McMahon. These three have produced nothing since they've been here yet remain on the staff. You always hear that this is a "what have you done for me lately" league, well they haven't done anything but collect pay checks and it's time to stop.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Like the way SP says "don't get injured" and the damn fools go out and get injured anyway?

Back in my day of peewee football, if coach told you not to get injured you better listen or your butt wasn't playing

0rion

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
being on this board the last couple seasons has been like dating a bi-polar chick. One week we're a step away from the superbowl and the next week we need to fire everyone and start over.

bobad

Son of Adam
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Until I hear Payton covering for bad player (he's a heckuva player), or until the players quit on him because he won't start their favorite QB (Titans VY). i'll believe the team is responding to Payton.

bobad

Son of Adam
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Like the way SP says "don't get injured" and the damn fools go out and get injured anyway?

Back in my day of peewee football, if coach told you not to get injured you better listen or your butt wasn't playing
He should give Breaux and Rankins 1000 up-downs for disobeying him.

los226

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
The defense will always have the same problems until another regime takes over. Unfortunately, by the time there is a new regime Brees will be gone too. Just set your expectations low for W/L and enjoy our high powered offense make plays week in and week out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)