Is this team still responding to Payton? (1 Viewer)

The defense will always have the same problems until another regime takes over. Unfortunately, by the time there is a new regime Brees will be gone too. Just set your expectations low for W/L and enjoy our high powered offense make plays week in and week out.

Besides Byrd, this team is playing its heart out. That's what's fun about watching this team. The offense is a joy to watch and the defense with all the street players plays hard all the time. This is fun rebuild to watch.

im not putting all the blame on sean, but it is pretty convenient for him how this whole GM/HC relationship keeps either from owning up to their mistakes. we can't be surprised about injuries when we keep drafting/signing injury prone players to insane contracts. of course there are gonna be players trying to squeeze in another contract and obviously we're a prime destination considering our track record. it's just awful all around and its a shame that no one who manages this team ever faces any consequence, be it roster decisions or poor coaching, or even responsibility for the environment they've helped foster. it's just a sad situation all around that is magnified by our aging hall of fame quarterback. we've somehow managed to not put a single functioning unit around him. no good running backs, poor defense, atrocious special teams. these are things our coaches and front office haven't been able to turn around for years. i get it we have a lot of injuries but we'd also have some quality depth if our money situation weren't as sad as it is. just all around depressing and seemingly hopeless. we'll get guys back just in time to win enough games to keep us from getting a top 5 pick.

every team has injuries, that is a lame excuse. The front office and decision makers are lacking in depth positions for the team
I'm with you on the excuse of injuries. I remember the 2010 Packers were decimated by injuries (15+ IR iirc) & they went on to win the SB. Totally FO & lack of depth is why we've been in this mess for some time.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I'm with you on the excuse of injuries. I remember the 2010 Packers were decimated by injuries (15+ IR iirc) & they went on to win the SB. Totally FO & lack of depth is why we've been in this mess for some time.

It's really hard to be in the process of rebuilding and have depth.

Now, ideally teams are always replenishing the shelves, but there is really only one damn team that seems to do that consistently.

Every team should be REASONABLY protected with good depth, but when an entire squad is injured, they simply can't account for that. No team has a bench 5 deep at DB, believe me.

That's why I'm totally against super star WR's, RB's, and DB's. Huge salaries paid to them eventually hurt your depth at OL, DL, QB, and LB, which are the foundation of any team.

I love Payton. He's done a lot for this team. But, looking beyond the goodwill generated from the SB win and those playoff runs, there have been some questionable personal and personnel decisions that really fall on his shoulders. At almost any other club, Payton would've been fired a long time ago. My main problem is that the season is already starting to feel like a few of the past seasons where we were given reasons for hope (i.e. Falcons and Panthers losing, all we have to do is win!)... When I see the issues we've faced over the last 2 years -- turnovers, extremely sieve-like defense, penalties, inability to win at home or with crowd noise -- I can't help but think that the Payton team "swagger" we remember is gone. Why aren't we looking for a new coach now?

Take a look at the photographs from the locker room after the Panther victory and tell me Coach has lost the team.

Every team should be REASONABLY protected with good depth, but when an entire squad is injured, they simply can't account for that. No team has a bench 5 deep at DB, believe me.

That's why I'm totally against super star WR's, RB's, and DB's. Huge salaries paid to them eventually hurt your depth at OL, DL, QB, and LB, which are the foundation of any team.

So then who do you blame ?

Just like Vaccaro said in his locker room interview...the players who aren't executing and are repeat offenders. He said they didn't run a single play that hadn't been studied on tape in the week leading up to the game, but people still were missing their assignments and blowing containment.

I blame Payton for some of the weaknesses in the bench, but for our entire db squad being wiped out, I blame bad luck. We're lost so many DBs it's a miracle we can cover a 1-legged geriatric WR.

Just like Vaccaro said in his locker room interview...the players who aren't executing and are repeat offenders. He said they didn't run a single play that hadn't been studied on tape in the week leading up to the game, but people still were missing their assignments and blowing containment.
I was talking about lack of depth & FO decisions for the product that's on the field and not because of injuries. 2010 Packers as an example.

Overall, some of the blame falls on Peyton because he is the HC. However, he was an offensive minded coach and the offense is doing their job. Here are some of the other issues I see that contributing to the losses/morale:

1-Cap
2-Personnel Depth
3-Injuries to Key players
4-Some bad position coaches on Defense/Special Teams

Actually, I'm surprised how close this team is to contending. They've shown they can play with anyone, even with a decimated secondary and other key injuries. We're just not quite good enough to overcome the major turnovers and brainfarts.

For as much plug-n-play roster shuffling we've had to do, I'm impressed with the caliber of play from the team. And that's not sunshine pumping or black and gold glasses speak. Some of these UDFAs and street pickups have held their own.

This is the down period we anticipated as we kept trying to milk another big season by borrowing on the future. We're paying that debt now and the drop hasn't been as low as expected, IMO. If anything, the coaching is getting more out of these players than thought possible.

we need another solid draft which focuses on OL, LB and DB. we need to get a DL in FA. jarrius byrd needs to walk when it is most convenient to cut his sorry ***.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom