Is this the year for a late season run? (1 Viewer)

I'll repeat what I wrote in another thread yesterday. We are only a couple of defensive players coming back away from a win streak. If you think that won't make a difference, all you have to do is look at the game where Breaux went out & how it changed the whole game. And...with that said....we have been in every game this year. You can't say that about the last couple of years where we were absolutely destroyed in a few games. Our offense is having an incredible season & getting a couple of key defensive players back can turn the season around. But, that is all predicated on getting those players on the field for quality snaps within the next 2 weeks.

the slow start followed by catching fire and improbably making the playoffs type of season. If ever there were a time to believe it, I think it is now. The offense is particularly awesome this year and will only get better once we get a couple of lineman back in rotation. The defense has been decimated by injury. But we've got some very key positions that should be getting healthy.

I'm not saying it's going to happen. But there is reasonable cause for hope. LRB may play this weekend, which could alone have a noticeable effect against a struggling Seahawks offense. The following week could see the return of both Breaux and Rankins. That's 3 starters (arguably) back against another questionable offense. If we somehow manage to get to .500 in the next two weeks, game on!

My fondest dream! *Payton has a history of long win streaks. *Teams that kill it in December are more likely to advance in the playoffs.

To lend credibility to the above, our offense is on fire, and our defense is beginning to make stops.

Remember when the giants went 9-7 in 2011, they enter the playoffs as a wild card? I am starting to get that type of vibe. If the defense can improve each week (once Rankins and Breaux get healthy that is) we will soon be contenders again.

On the road to another 7-9 season

This is very accurate. Sadly.

Year, Record (6 games), (8 games), Final Record

2007 2-4, 4-4, 7-9
2008 3-3, 4-4, 8-8
2012 2-4, 4-4, 7-9
2014 2-4, 4-4, 7-9
2015 2-4, 4-4, 7-9

History doesn't paint a very positive picture of things.

With our remaining schedule 7-9 would be a major achievement.

I've seen seemingly bad teams turn it around and catch fire. With our offense it's certainly not beyond the realm of possibility. If we can ever get our dudes healthy on defense we could have a shot. Time is running out though. We've got to get to .500 ASAP but I just don't see many wins over the next handful of games.

with Drew I feel we are in just about every game. we have to find a way to improve on defense. and it doesn't have to be major improvements. in every game except atlanta, we were a defensive play, stop, whatever away from possibly winning the game. last game was a big step back for the defense. yes, we have a large amount of injuries and that has to have something to do with the amount of points we are giving up. when we get Rankins and Breaux back and in game shape, maybe it won't be too late to make a push. As long as atlanta continues to keep us in contention for the South crown we always have a chance. We still play Tampa twice so we control our destiny there. But we HAVE to win this game Sunday. This 0-3 start hurt most because we needed a fast start in order to have a chance during these next few tough games.

with Drew I feel we are in just about every game. we have to find a way to improve on defense. and it doesn't have to be major improvements. in every game except atlanta, we were a defensive play, stop, whatever away from possibly winning the game. last game was a big step back for the defense. yes, we have a large amount of injuries and that has to have something to do with the amount of points we are giving up. when we get Rankins and Breaux back and in game shape, maybe it won't be too late to make a push. As long as atlanta continues to keep us in contention for the South crown we always have a chance. We still play Tampa twice so we control our destiny there. But we HAVE to win this game Sunday. This 0-3 start hurt most because we needed a fast start in order to have a chance during these next few tough games.

I really feel like the defense played well enough to win last week. The offense gave the ball over twice, once for 7 points, which turned out to be the difference in winning and losing.

No. This coaching staff can't get the players to do the basic things week in and week out on defense.

I know it's not likely given past results. But let's allow ourselves the indulgence of hopeful thinking for a moment.

We've had a few different types of seasons under Payton. We've had the 13-3, dominating campaigns on two occasions. We've had the early win streak to allow a mid range team to overachieve into the playoffs type seasons.. And we've had the legitimately mediocre 7-9 to 8-8 type seasons. Thankfully we have never had a completely terrible 3-13 type of team. And I don't think that happens this year.

But there's another type of season that we have not had that I've always thought would come under the Brees/Payton era. And that's the slow start followed by catching fire and improbably making the playoffs type of season. If ever there were a time to believe it, I think it is now. The offense is particularly awesome this year and will only get better once we get a couple of lineman back in rotation. The defense has been decimated by injury. But we've got some very key positions that should be getting healthy.

I'm not saying it's going to happen. But there is reasonable cause for hope. LRB may play this weekend, which could alone have a noticeable effect against a struggling Seahawks offense. The following week could see the return of both Breaux and Rankins. That's 3 starters (arguably) back against another questionable offense. If we somehow manage to get to .500 in the next two weeks, game on!

I have thought this was that type of year from the start with the youth of the defense and SR going down with his broken leg in the PS I thought we would get him back and start gelling. This was/is my preseason game by game prediction on how we would get to 10-6 with a slow start and a strong finish:

Oak L 0-1
@ NYG L 0-2
Atl W 1-2
@ SD W 2-2
Car W 3-2
@ KC L 3-3
Seat W 4-3
@ SF W 5-3
Den L 5-4
@ Car L 5-5
LA W 6-5
Det W 7-5
@ TB W 8-5
@ Az L 8-6
TB W 9-6
@ Atl W 10-6

So far we are 1 game off the pace with ATL being the only one I got wrong.

I really feel like the defense played well enough to win last week. The offense gave the ball over twice, once for 7 points, which turned out to be the difference in winning and losing.

they played quite well in the second half. They need to play together all 4 quarters. I think they can do it. They are just young and inexperienced. That is what I mean they need to step up.

I've seen seemingly bad teams turn it around and catch fire. With our offense it's certainly not beyond the realm of possibility. If we can ever get our dudes healthy on defense we could have a shot. Time is running out though. We've got to get to .500 ASAP but I just don't see many wins over the next handful of games.

Agree, Time is running out really fast. Our next 3 are Sea, SF, and Den. It's very possible we are sitting at 3-6 after 9 games.

I said in pre season that this team would have growing pains early and considering the number of injuries this team has actually played well.

The kids and off the street guys have stepped up haven't played that bad.

We get some guys back healthy and I don't know if they'll make a "run" but they will be a better team the second half of the season.............:mwink:

After losing Ca, NY, and Ga early, I just don't see a path to 270 this election cycle. Sorry, on the PDB too much lately.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom