Is throwing your cigarette out the window littering? (1 Viewer)

Is flicking your cigarette butt littering ??

• Total voters
It is another thing that inconsiderate smokers do. I hate smokers btw. Kill innocents, litter everywhere, stink like hell, and always complaining about taking breaks at work.

DOWN WITH SMOKERS!

ty for knowing nothing about me but assuming you do.

I hate when *** ***** dump their ashtray on the ground at a redlight.....

The paper may be biodegradable, but I doubt the filter is. Off to the research dept for a follow up.

I hate when *** ***** dump their ashtray on the ground at a redlight.....
Man I didn't even realize people still use their car-ashtrays for that purpose anymore. Back when I smoked, I'd ash out the window and flick the butt out the window too and that's the way all my other smoker friends used to do it. The only people I knew who used the car ashtray for its, i guess intended purpose, were senior citizens. Heck, my dad got a certified pre-owned BMW a couple years ago and one "feature" that particular car came with it was a "Smokers Package" which included a cigarette lighter port thing and an ashtray, so I guess car ashtrays aren't even standard accessories anymore.

i used to do it. i haven't done it for a long time, and i won't do it again. i didn't need some cop to tell me not to, either. i just considered how nasty it was for whoever has to pick them up.

littering is littering whether it's enforced or not.

i, for one, have served enough community service hours to know what the side of a road (or a shoreline) looks like, when every d-bag out there thinks (s)he is the only one who got the original idea to flick butts out the window.

i have also ridden on enough motorcycles, and in enough convertible automobiles, to develop a full appreciation of how, when something on fire is tossed out of a window, it doesn't just revert to anti-matter or get sucked into the space-time continuum.

There is even a handy ashtray that comes standard in every vehicle manufactured in about the last forty years. i don't even think opposable thumbs would be entirely necessary to operate said ashtray. Which should be good news for the type of creature who thinks it's no big deal to throw burning trash out of a moving car.

Well, a buddy of mine got pulled over for speeding. As the cop was filling out the ticket the guy flicked the cig out the window. Consequently he got a ticket for littering as well. So, yes, it is considered littering. I used to do it but I quit smoking. 2 weeks now. Phew. Hardest thing I've ever had to do. The things guys do for women.

i used to do it. i haven't done it for a long time, and i won't do it again. i didn't need some cop to tell me not to, either. i just considered how nasty it was for whoever has to pick them up.

littering is littering whether it's enforced or not.

i, for one, have served enough community service hours to know what the side of a road (or a shoreline) looks like, when every d-bag out there thinks (s)he is the only one who got the original idea to flick butts out the window.

i have also ridden on enough motorcycles, and in enough convertible automobiles, to develop a full appreciation of how, when something on fire is tossed out of a window, it doesn't just revert to anti-matter or get sucked into the space-time continuum.

There is even a handy ashtray that comes standard in every vehicle manufactured in about the last forty years. i don't even think opposable thumbs would be entirely necessary to operate said ashtray. Which should be good news for the type of creature who thinks it's no big deal to throw burning trash out of a moving car.

:plus-un2:

Not to mention what they look like all over the ground at a city park. I must have picked up a million of them.

They might be ugly on the ground....but so is dog poo. They'll both go away eventually though.

Not to thread jack, but why do people justify smoking by stating they only do it when they are drunk?

I have the unfortunate habit of chewing, but I have no desire to chew when I am drinking. I'd rather buzz off booze than tobacco.

I chew because it gives me a good buzz when I'm in a non drinking situation.....I would never put a big wad of tobaccy in my mouth if I'm at a bar.

I dont think people should throw butts out of windows but I guess throwing your butt out the window is not so bad in city because the city pay people to pick up trash and not doing it might get someones job cut. Throwing butt out in the country is very bad manner

I think it is littering but I don't really care its a tiny piece of paper it will dissolve.
They might be ugly on the ground....but so is dog poo. They'll both go away eventually though.

Not to thread jack, but why do people justify smoking by stating they only do it when they are drunk?

I have the unfortunate habit of chewing, but I have no desire to chew when I am drinking. I'd rather buzz off booze than tobacco.

I chew because it gives me a good buzz when I'm in a non drinking situation.....I would never put a big wad of tobaccy in my mouth if I'm at a bar.

Actually it is one of the most environmentally damaging types of litter.

It is estimated that several trillion cigarette butts are littered worldwide every year. That's billions of cigarettes flicked, one at a time, on our sidewalks, beaches, nature trails, gardens, and other public places every single day. In fact, cigarettes are the most littered item in America and the world. Cigarette filters are made of cellulose acetate tow, NOT COTTON, and they can take decades to degrade. Not only does cigarette litter ruin even the most picturesque setting, but the toxic residue in cigarette filters is damaging to the environment, and littered butts cause numerous fires every year, some of them fatal.
What happens after that butt gets casually flicked onto the street, nature trail, or beach? Typically wind and rain carry the cigarette into the water supply, where the toxic chemicals the cigarette filter was designed to trap leak out into aquatic ecosystems, threatening the quality of the water and many aquatic lifeforms. Cigarette butts may seem small, but with several trillion butts littered every year, the toxic chemicals add up!
http://www.cigarettelitter.org/

Thomas Novotny, a professor of global health at San Diego State University who supports the San Francisco proposal and beach bans elsewhere, said recent experiments had shown that one butt has enough poisons to kill half the minnows in a liter of water — a standard laboratory test for toxins — in 96 hours.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/29/us/29cigarettes.html

Last edited:
Where I come from its not only littering but geting close to arson.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 143

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom