Is throwing your cigarette out the window littering? (1 Viewer)

Is flicking your cigarette butt littering ??

• Total voters
Cigarette butts are biodegradeable-eventually. They take 1-5 years to decompose. In the meantime they clog drains and sewers, and diminish the beauty of the landscape. I've done enough highway cleanup to see just how many there are. The state of Texas alone estimates drivers throw about 130 million a year out the window. I've seen them lying around public buildings and on the beaches, just about anywhere there are people.

I've visited Maine, and while runnig on the back roads there I don't see one bit of litter. I run on the back roads here on the lower eastern shore of Maryland and it's absolutely disgusting, many people can't even be bothered to clean the litter from in front of their homes much less on a back road. It's obviously a mindset in certain areas whether or not littering is acceptable.

Take 'em with ya, it aint' that hard.

It is another thing that inconsiderate smokers do. I hate smokers btw. Kill innocents, litter everywhere, stink like hell, and always complaining about taking breaks at work.

DOWN WITH SMOKERS!

Yeah, only those of use who smoke do those things. Glad to know you hate us though. Thanks for clearing the air and erasing that trepidation I had.

Yes, butts are litter. When driving, I use the ash tray for the butts, but ashes go right out the window. When walking outside, I field strip mine and pocket the butts until I come upon a trash can.

Normally I can find a trash can/ash tray nearby so it's not an issue. In my car I usually have a used water/coke bottle I can use. If there is no place I'll flick out the butt and put it back in my pack. It's pretty easy not to litter but old habits die hard for many people. This country has not always been so environmentally conscious.

Yes, what is even worse is when you come up on a spot where someone empted their ashtray on the ground or parking lot. Could not be a police officer, because I would spend all day writting these littering tickets to smokers and people who have to throw their fast food bag out the window.

Hard to believe the OP was even a question. What else would it be? :mad:

While I hate to see butts tossed anywhere (Q: How many of you smokers flick butts on your own lawns and leave them?), it's rewarding for me to lean on my horn when I'm behind a car smoker who litters.

My five-second horn blast is much more annoying than any birdfinger that gets flipped my way. :hihi:

I am curious to see what the majority says .. I cant stand it when people flick their butts out the window or on the sidewalk or anyplace other than the garbage .. but it seems like a socially acceptable practice to flick a cigarette butt anyplace at anytime.....

is it just me or is this littering???

I think its the worst kind -- it can easily start fires under the right conditions -- so not only is it littering but its dangerous

Cigarette butts are biodegradeable-eventually. They take 1-5 years to decompose. In the meantime they clog drains and sewers, and diminish the beauty of the landscape. I've done enough highway cleanup to see just how many there are. The state of Texas alone estimates drivers throw about 130 million a year out the window. I've seen them lying around public buildings and on the beaches, just about anywhere there are people.

I've visited Maine, and while runnig on the back roads there I don't see one bit of litter. I run on the back roads here on the lower eastern shore of Maryland and it's absolutely disgusting, many people can't even be bothered to clean the litter from in front of their homes much less on a back road. It's obviously a mindset in certain areas whether or not littering is acceptable.

Take 'em with ya, it aint' that hard.

Drove back and forth to Wisconsin a couple of years ago and the wife and I marveled at how clean and litter-free the interstate was. On the way back we laughed as we said it will be much different once we get home(Louisiana). Low and behold, the moment we crossed the state line back into Louisiana on
I-55 there lays a big fat mattress on the side of the road. Styrofoam cups and plates scattered around. Its amazing. Even Mississippi was spotless. We still laugh about that til' this day.

Yes and it's damn nasty, too. Really makes me mad to see people do it. I always immediately think "that is a trashy person in that car."

Drove back and forth to Wisconsin a couple of years ago and the wife and I marveled at how clean and litter-free the interstate was. On the way back we laughed as we said it will be much different once we get home(Louisiana). Low and behold, the moment we crossed the state line back into Louisiana on
I-55 there lays a big fat mattress on the side of the road. Styrofoam cups and plates scattered around. Its amazing. Even Mississippi was spotless. We still laugh about that til' this day.

Here, it can vary from county to county. The upper shore--Kent, Queen Anne, Talbot--spotless. The lower, slower shore--disgusting.

Yes it is. I can't wait till the national DNA database is complete so they can catch all of these litterbugs.

We've hosted a Fri night poker party at our house for about 6 years now. We have enough players for 2 tables so we do an inside table and an outside smokers table. I have several ashtrays around the table and a can for the butts. About 6-7 months after we'd started I went out back and noticed that in one area of the backyard (we have rocks, no grass here in Havasu for "yards") it was covered in butts. It took me hours to clean up the entire area...they must've flicked a thousand freakin' cigarette butts into the gravel in my backyard instead of putting them in the butt can. Policy changed immediately, but I still have to go out and clean the backyard area because one or two can't remember to not flick their butts on my yard.

I see it out on the lake a LOT. Especially out in the coves where there are hundreds of people partying. I saw a guy on the boat in front of us flick his butt over the boat into the lake and then a girl (who apparently was a local) on a boat nearby went completely ape-**** yelling at the guy not to throw his butts in her lake and the dude went in after it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom