Is week one against the Raiders a MUST win? (1 Viewer)

Is week one against the Raiders a MUST win?

• Total voters
It's not technically a must-win.

But informally? Yeah, I think it is. It's a home opener to boot. The great seasons we've had typically start with us looking good right out the gate.

Granted, our best team ever lost the opening game of the season against the Packers. But it wasn't a home game. And it also was a very hard fought game that we lost due to special teams issues, that Colston fumble, and not converting short yardage situations.

But for this team, after two straight 7-9 seasons? Winning vs an up and coming Raiders team would set a glorious tone for the season and keep a lot of doom and gloom from taking root on this forum.

One game usually doesn't make or......nope, forget that. I want this win. I want our D to step up and be decent. I want those Guards to give Drew some time. I want this one.

Yes it's a game we should win, winning the ones you should win is a must

My belief is that every game is a must win right up until you lock up the highest seed possible which you can't advance any higher. Then, every game that follows that is a must win as well, obviously.

If you look at our history under Payton, we've started 0-1 five times. 2011 is the only season we went on to finish with a winning record. The other four occasions we finished 7-9 and missed the playoffs.

Conversely, we've started 1-0 under Payton five times, as well. Four of those seasons we finished 10-6 or better and made the playoffs. 2008 was the exception.

Is it an absolute must-win? No. But, if we lose, history shows we don't stand much of a chance of making the playoffs. We haven't been able to say we have a winning record in two and a half years. We really need to wash the stench of the last two seasons away.

Obviously, it's not a must win but it's a needed win from a confidence and momentum standpoint. We need to get our "Domefield" advantage back. Teams use to come into our house expecting a loss. We need to get that aura of invincibility back, and the only way to do that is to win and win decisively at home.

It can be a must win, and I hope we dont think we are facing the last decade Raiders. Our O-line will have a tough assignment, Breaux will have to lock down Cooper, and Carr is not an inexperienced QB anymore. We should win this one, but it can be painfully close

Anything lesser then a 2-2 start and pack it up.

If you don't think it matters, you don't remember how much of a difference those first three wins in 2006 (one-by-one) made to the Saints.

We entered the game as underdogs (having had the disastrous 3-13 Katrina season a year before). But playing undefeated vs. the Falcons was a factor that ADDED to our confidence.

Is it a do-or-die game.... uhhhhh..... nnnnnooooooottt quite. But it is very important that we get a quick start. As Taker597 & Jrich7720 already mentioned, the juggernaut 2011 team started 0-1...,
2011 New Orleans Saints Statistics & Players | Pro-Football-Reference.com

...but winning the season opener is a whole lot better, IMO.

:gosaints:

It's a game we should win so yes. You have to win the games vs same caliber teams or less. Those are the must wins. Those are the games good teams win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom