Is Will Smith Tradable? (1 Viewer)

Consigliere

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Is the cap-hit from re-signing Will Smith so great to prevent us from trading him for a 1st or 2nd round pick, if Hargrove/Spicer/McCray do well enough in the first four games?

i would love to see it happen next season if he doesnt regain pro bowl status this season. how will the cap hits affect an uncapped year?

Not tradeable this year. he got 26mil guarranteed for 6 years which means 4.3mil per year plus salary. The charge on a trade (I think I'm right here) is this years and next years guarranteed money. 8.6mil hit wouldn't be possible.

I think the 4 game suspension and his lack of production over the past couple of seasons is what prevents us from trading him. Plus whatever overloaded contract he has at this point.

Not a chance we'd get a 1st or 2nd round pick for him. The production just hasn't been there the past couple of years.

Not tradeable this year. he got 26mil guarranteed for 6 years which means 4.3mil per year plus salary. The charge on a trade (I think I'm right here) is this years and next years guarranteed money. 8.6mil hit wouldn't be possible.

OK thanks. And Charles Grant's cap hit would probably be worse, right?

Neither one of them are tradeable. No one in their right mind will take on their monster contract/mouse production. They are at best backups on just about any other team in the league as well. They may be backups on this team as well.

I think the 4 game suspension and his lack of production over the past couple of seasons is what prevents us from trading him. Plus whatever overloaded contract he has at this point.

i cant hold the suspension against him... he is more or less a victim of the internal politics of the nfl. the league has to fight rigorously for this "sentence" even though if this were a criminal or civil case it would be thrown out. the league has to have its own "poison pill" clauses :)

the thing i am wondering is if next year is uncapped how will that affect the releases of veterans and will it allow teams to sign players with HUGE 2010 numbers and have tiny numbers after that year....

i should be more interested with sports contract law lol

Why on earth would you trade the player who is having the best camp of "ANY DEFENSIVE PLAYER" according to Jeff Duncan.

after further review.... will smith's camp is rumored to be phenomenal and what i saw of charles grant in the bungals game he was all over the place hustling. last year they wer not only hurt physically but mentally as well with the star caps bs...

i am looking forward to a great 19 games from them (preseason, 12 games, and super bowl win)

Neither one of them are tradeable. No one in their right mind will take on their monster contract/mouse production. They are at best backups on just about any other team in the league as well. They may be backups on this team as well.

This. Their top 15 DE contracts and bottom 15 production make them impossible to trade. But this may spur both to produce this season. Both have to know that if they underachieve yet again that they will be released and will not receive anywhere close to the money the Saints are currently paying them. Due to that alone I expect much better play from both......

Is the cap-hit from re-signing Will Smith so great to prevent us from trading him for a 1st or 2nd round pick, if Hargrove/Spicer/McCray do well enough in the first four games?

Why would anyone give up a 1st or 2nd for a guy who makes a ton of money and had a bad season last year? We would be lucky to get a 5th round pick for him.

2009? No, And probably not 2010 either. Its a Catch-22.

If he plays well enough to garner trade offers, then why not just keep him?

If he plays lousy and we want to trade him, there probably won't be any takers.

This thread: Another example of why we're not coaches and GMs in the NFL.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom