Isn't Martez Wilson the fastest player among all front 7 in the NFL? (2 Viewers)

ndcc

Saints' fan 4ever
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sad to leave NOLA to AZ; going into ministry
IIRC, coming into the league, his 40 time was even faster than Von Miller. If he's not the fastest, there can't be more than a handful who are more fleet of foot than Martez.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JxYmIcYopig" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:gosaints:

Which is why hes a waste as a passrusher.

Thts the guy i want running sideline to sideline making plays

Not rushing thd qb for 3-4 seconds then becoming a non factor one tge ball is released

Hes probably the best form tackler on the team

Which is why hes a waste as a passrusher.

Thts the guy i want running sideline to sideline making plays

Not rushing thd qb for 3-4 seconds then becoming a non factor one tge ball is released

Hes probably the best form tackler on the team

He'll be natural OLB in a 3-4 I think. Galette is the one who have to learn how to play standing up.

He'll be natural OLB in a 3-4 I think. Galette is the one who have to learn how to play standing up.
<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NlDC4zygeGA" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

He was having trouble disengaging and was getting blown off the line even before getting held.

I wouldn't want to put Wilson on the edge against the run in a 3-4 for the same reason I don't want Dion Jordan there. Gallete knows how to keep himself clean.

Man... If Martez Wilson cant play LB in a 3-4 we'll be in a world of hurt. We don't have enough draft picks to shore up all the deficiencies we have on defense. We don't have any money for free agency either. I hope this defensive scheme change isn't going to be as painful as it sounds like it could be.

I happen to think that Galette will struggle as an OLB in a 3-4. He's 6'2" and 260lbs. That isn't exactly an ideal size for the position, not to mention I've never seen him drop into coverage in the NFL. I hope Payton has an answer for all of these deficiencies or else this could be painful.

I still think that the largest position of need is NT.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NlDC4zygeGA" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

He was having trouble disengaging and was getting blown off the line even before getting held.

I wouldn't want to put Wilson on the edge against the run in a 3-4 for the same reason I don't want Dion Jordan there. Gallete knows how to keep himself clean.

Yeah he didnt anchor well@ all.

Lofton got moved quite a bit too

With thg being said...cam jordan was not too far behind prob. Go big boy!!

I do think he's best fit will be inside. I think his instincts and speed work better for him in that position as opposed to the outside where his responsibilities are more outside his knowledge and abilities.
Just because he's fast, doesn't mean the outside is where he needs to be. We do need fast inside LBers to go from sideline to sideline and to cover down field.
I'll trust the coaching staff to put him in the right place. He's another example of us trying to fit a square peg into a circular hole(in a 4-3). The 3-4 will definitely fit him and give him a more natural position.

Man... If Martez Wilson cant play OLB in a 3-4 we'll be in a world of hurt. We don't have enough draft picks to shore up all the deficiencies we have on defense. We don't have any money for free agency either. I hope this defensive scheme change isn't going to be as painful as it sounds like it could be.

I happen to think that Galette will struggle as an OLB in a 3-4. He's 6'2" and 260lbs. That isn't exactly an ideal size for the position, not to mention I've never seen him drop into coverage in the NFL. I hope Payton has an answer for all of these deficiencies or else this could be painful.

I still think that the largest position of need is NT.

I think we'll be fine.

Galette engages tackles better and has better hand quickness then wilson.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0LcZmAddyXk?list=UUxRsXERvbmRk_OYwHbiHeIQ" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

His Change of direction coming forward and size is exactly what you look for in a ROLB. It takes a different skillset to play on the Left which is a larger concern but i agree that you don't want Galette and broughton to be our primary coverage guys. That's why you put them on the right.

Broughton might be able to handle both and looked so comfortable on the line that he played NT last year in the preseason and got a few pressures and a Sack. I think that gallette will start on the right and that broughon will back up galette on the outside and wilson in the middle. He looked uncomfortable at weakside linebacker and LDE last year to me.

LOLB is what troubles me the most. We really don't have that one big, athletic edge-setter which is why I like Ansah. He's like Ahmad brooks on Steroids. Corey Lemonier or Devin Taylor are lesser players who might also fit the bill though.

Just because he's fast, doesn't mean the outside is where he needs to be...

Yeah.

Courtney Watson was fast... and you see how far that got him in the NFL. :jpshakehead:

To me, Martez is gifted athletically, reads & reacts well, takes correct angles, and can tackle. He's also pretty good in coverage. His only Achilles heel is shedding blockers.

With good coaching, we should find a spot for him amongst the 4 linebackers. I suspect inside is where he'd be better suited.

:gosaints:

I think we'll be fine.

Galette engages tackles better and has better hand quickness then wilson.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0LcZmAddyXk?list=UUxRsXERvbmRk_OYwHbiHeIQ" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

His Change of direction coming forward and size is exactly what you look for in a ROLB. It takes a different skillset to play on the Left which is a larger concern but i agree that you don't want Galette and broughton to be our primary coverage guys. That's why you put them on the right.

Broughton might be able to handle both and looked so comfortable on the line that he played NT last year in the preseason and got a few pressures and a Sack. I think that gallette will start on the right and that broughon will back up galette on the outside and wilson in the middle. He looked uncomfortable at weakside linebacker and LDE last year to me.

LOLB is what troubles me the most. We really don't have that one big, athletic edge-setter which is why I like Ansah. He's like Ahmad brooks on Steroids. Corey Lemonier or Devin Taylor are lesser players who might also fit the bill though.

How in the world did the two guys at 1:55 miss that tackle? Galette forced the guy to them perfectly and then had to come back across the field to clean up their mess.

Martez is a str8 line player. He might run a faster 40 than Von Miller, but he has no where near Von's explosion off the snap, agility, dip, moves, power, etc.

Martez, in my opinion, would be a stud Inside LB in a 3-4. Have him blitzing the A gap on some passing downs, drop him into some zone coverages, or line him outside on some down.

He is not, nor never will be an OLB pass rusher IMO. He is just not built that way.

Our linebacking core is desperately dying for some athleticism, and we have him right there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom