Isn't Sean Payton's contract up next year? (MERGED) (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Why not extend his contract? Mike McCarthy took his team to the NFC championship game this year and got a 5 year extension. I personally think SP is a better coach. Will Payton get an extension?

i think he has one more year, if not two or three.
definitely extend it if he doesn't
give him 2 more years to build a superbowl team

Oops, I just posted a similar thread. Sorry about that. I hope the mods will merge them.

Thanks in advance.

i'm really not worried about Coach Payton, I think his deal gets done, no problem...the only question is...how soon?

With Mr. Benson, there is a premium on being in control. Loyalty is very heavily weighted in the equation. He is falsely accused of being spendthrift in all matters. While the organization is not nearly as lavish on the perks as some others, he has spent on coaches and personnel and, more importantly, has not been hesitant to eat the last year of a contract (even if he doesn't like the taste and asks for the money back).

He was hesitant to quickly lock up or extend Haslett after his early success, probably feeling twitchy after the Ditka debacle.

Haslett obviously didn't get it done, and it also didn't seem like it ever would. (Hard to imagine a Jim Haslett-coached team in the Super Bowl, at least one with Rick Venturi on the staff, isn't it?) A combination of factors indicated that he had worn out his welcome

The key word, as always, will be loyalty. It is the no. 1 criterion for employment in a Benson organization. And in a Benson organization, the word is narrowly defined. If Loomis thinks Payton shows enough of those qualities, he will risk his own career with Benson by extending Payton.

On the other hand, if Payton shows any signs of perhaps just playing out his contract and seeing what transpires instead of taking the offered extension, there is, although not up to 50%, at least more than a small risk that they show him the door. My guess is they'd promote Vitt.

Not trying to get ahead of ourselves, but it is what it is.

I dont want sean payton as our coach. He would be a better coach in college. How many points could we have had this season if we didnt go for it when we did. Why do a cutesy reverse when you need to run the clock out. on fourth and 1 we do a bomb to colston when reggie is 75% on 3rd or 4th and 1. Why does he do the same 3 run plays right up the middle on 2nd 3rd and 4th down from the one when we have colston and billy miller that can catch the ball for sure. I'm sure there are more but i just cant think of them right now.

The key word, as always, will be loyalty. It is the no. 1 criterion for employment in a Benson organization. And in a Benson organization, the word is narrowly defined. If Loomis thinks Payton shows enough of those qualities, he will risk his own career with Benson by extending Payton.

It has been reported that Payton refused to even talk about the Michigan job, and for what I read he understands also the promotional side of his job, not having a problem socializing with corporate sponsors. He has brought an exciting product on the field that has translated in season ticket sales (it is not all him, but certainly he has contributed).

I presume that Tom Benson is very happy with Sean, and it seems that he is also having a good work relation with Mickey Loomis. Finally, he has a very good reputation in NFL circles.

All of this should be working well with Mr. Benson.

I think there are more chances of seeing him signing a new contract then allow him to leave after finishing it. Just my opinion.

It has been reported that Payton refused to even talk about the Michigan job, and for what I read he understands also the promotional side of his job, not having a problem socializing with corporate sponsors. He has brought an exciting product on the field that has translated in season ticket sales (it is not all him, but certainly he has contributed).

I presume that Tom Benson is very happy with Sean, and it seems that he is also having a good work relation with Mickey Loomis. Finally, he has a very good reputation in NFL circles.

All of this should be working well with Mr. Benson.

I think there are more chances of seeing him signing a new contract then allow him to leave after finishing it. Just my opinion.

Guillermo, I agree with everything you wrote, and I too would be very surprised if Sean Payton did not receive a significant raise along with an extension before any "lame duck" risks raised their head, even after the Ditka extention + firing.

On the other hand, since 2001 I've already been very surprised twice: on the days that Randy Mueller and Arnie Fielkow were fired without warning or meaningful explanation.

While Mueller's firing in hindsight looks defensible on the football merits given what transpired in Miami (although we may never know the full story of control/input in the Saban/Mueller/Cameron era), what you have is the sudden whacking of two of the more promising young football executives in the NFL in a four-year stretch. All I'm saying is, whatever else you bring to the table, you've got to satisfy one particular, and rather stringent, requirement, or it's no deal, Monty.

The team went 7-9. Let's wait and see what direction this team takes this year. I don't want to see Haslett Part II. I like Payton as a head coach but I've learned to wait on these things.

Benson and Loomis learned this lesson the hard way when they extended Haslett's contract early. Now it's in Payton's hands and depends solely on the upcoming season. If he wants to stay as Saints' HC all he has to do is win.......

Benson is in a tough situation here. HC should get 4 yr deals on their first contract for situations just like this. Payton overachieved year 1, underachieved in year 2, year 3 and the lame duck year is a ??.

In this situation I would offer Payton an incentive contract. A two year extension with a small bump that would add years and dollars for a playoff berth. Its a risk on both sides and I think Payton likes coaching for the Saints. I don't see any great HC openings coming up next offseason that he would look at as a better opportunity than what he has in New Orleans. Chicago is not going to fire Lovie 2 yrs after a superbowl trip.

There is a difference what McCarthy did and what Sean Payton did.....Payton had success in his 1st year, and that looks a lot like what Haslet did.......McCarthy on the other hand had the same success in his 2nd year....he started slow, and then build up on his 1st year's mediocre season. That is viewed a lot more favorably, exactly for the reason that the direction of the team is upward......unlike the Saints, which tanked out in the 2nd season under Payton, and are heading downward, instead of going upward.

Benson learned this the hard way with Haslet, and he is not going to make the same mistake again.....if the Saints are stagnating again this year, Payton's tenure as the Saints HC might be short lived, I'm afraid....

There is a difference what McCarthy did and what Sean Payton did.....Payton had success in his 1st year, and that looks a lot like what Haslet did.......McCarthy on the other hand had the same success in his 2nd year....he started slow, and then build up on his 1st year's mediocre season. That is viewed a lot more favorably, exactly for the reason that the direction of the team is upward......unlike the Saints, which tanked out in the 2nd season under Payton, and are heading downward, instead of going upward.

Benson learned this the hard way with Haslet, and he is not going to make the same mistake again.....if the Saints are stagnating again this year, Payton's tenure as the Saints HC might be short lived, I'm afraid....

Agreed, if it was 7-9 in 2006 and NFCCG in 2007, he'd already be locked up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom