Israel approves large expansion of Westbank settlements (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
(Reuters) - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has told senior ministers he is lifting restrictions on settlement building in East Jerusalem, a statement said on Sunday, immediately after the city's municipal government approved permits for the building of hundreds of new homes in the area.

"There is no longer a need to coordinate construction in the Jewish neighborhoods in East Jerusalem. We can build where we want and as much as we want," the statement quoted Netanyahu as saying, adding that he also intended to allow the start of building in the West Bank.

"My vision is to enact sovereignty over all the settlements," the statement also said, pointing to Netanyahu's apparent bid to win greater support from settlers and appeal to a right-wing coalition partner.
https://www.google.com/amp/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1560CZ?client=safari

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Basically Israel has no interest in peace and wants more terrorist attacks. Great.....

sigh.

Last edited:

efil4stnias

Play at your own risk
Reaction score
this is the first in a long list of world leaders that are going to "test" the resolve of DJT.

im not as well versed in Israeli/US relations, but the announcement just 3 days ago of "talks" to move US Embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem and now this?

another one of my fears...that DJT is so worried about "protectionism/nationalism" and so woefully versed in geo-politics, that this is going to be the norm going fwd.

whats that old sayin? Its easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission.

Here we have a close ally in the ME that is going totally against what we would ultimately want in that region. Peace.

I think the President needs to address this in the next 24 hrs. Everyone ( leaders ) is watching. Staying silent is not the way to go here. Has to either condemn or stand in approval - but SOMETHING has to be said.

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
this is the first in a long list of world leaders that are going to "test" the resolve of DJT.

im not as well versed in Israeli/US relations, but the announcement just 3 days ago of "talks" to move US Embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem and now this?

another one of my fears...that DJT is so worried about "protectionism/nationalism" and so woefully versed in geo-politics, that this is going to be the norm going fwd.

whats that old sayin? Its easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission.

Here we have a close ally in the ME that is going totally against what we would ultimately want in that region. Peace.
I think this has been brewing and would have happened regardless. The question is how the US and UN as a whole respond. My guess is the UN wont' be happy, and the US will now back Israel to be as stupid as they want to be.

VDK

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score

And the policy agenda of Trump is simply to do the opposite of the previous guy. That's the extent of it.

efil4stnias

Play at your own risk
Reaction score
I think this has been brewing and would have happened regardless. The question is how the US and UN as a whole respond. My guess is the UN wont' be happy, and the US will now back Israel to be as stupid as they want to be.
there is no doubt its been "kicked around" - Article clearly stated as much ( they werent pushing it under Obama )

But they are taking clear advantage of DJT here. Whether it be for lack of knowledge or perceived "approval" from him for this....regardless, this has to be addressed.

soon.

OP
superchuck500

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score

I think the President needs to address this in the next 24 hrs. Everyone ( leaders ) is watching. Staying silent is not the way to go here. Has to either condemn or stand in approval - but SOMETHING has to be said.

I don't think Trump, Flynn, Bannon, etc have any problem with this. Don't forget that Trump's named ambassador to Israel expressly rejects the two-state solution and supports settlement expansion.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cn...s-friedman-axe-files/index.html?client=safari

JimEverett

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
I don't think Trump, Flynn, Bannon, etc have any problem with this. Don't forget that Trump's named ambassador to Israel expressly rejects the two-state solution and supports settlement expansion.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cn...s-friedman-axe-files/index.html?client=safari
Israel has offered up two-state solutions on different occasions - most recently at the Annapolis Conference where Israel offered to leave the West bank, put jersualem under international control, and offer a limited right of return. Abbas rejected it because, he says, he couldn't look at a map.

not sure how you can expect Israel to continue serious moves after that.

efil4stnias

Play at your own risk
Reaction score
Israel has offered up two-state solutions on different occasions - most recently at the Annapolis Conference where Israel offered to leave the West bank, put jersualem under international control, and offer a limited right of return. Abbas rejected it because, he says, he couldn't look at a map.

not sure how you can expect Israel to continue serious moves after that.
http://www.jmcc.org/fastfactspag.aspx?tname=62

So yeah....wasnt Rejected because Abbas couldnt look at a map.

It was broken by the Israelis who began settlement construction a mere 6 months after the accord was struck.

JimEverett

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
The map is an excuse.
This is the real reason

https://www.memri.org/tv/chief-pale...en-rejected-israeli-proposal-annapolis-arafat

In November 2008… Let me finish… Olmert, who talked today about his proposal to Abu Mazen, offered the 1967 borders, but said: “We will take 6.5% of the West Bank, and give in return 5.8% from the 1948 lands, and the 0.7% will constitute the safe passage, and East Jerusalem will be the capital, but there is a problem with the Haram and with what they called the Holy Basin.” Abu Mazen too answered with defiance, saying: “I am not in a marketplace or a bazaar. I came to demarcate the borders of Palestine – the June 4, 1967 borders – without detracting a single inch, and without detracting a single stone from Jerusalem, or from the holy Christian and Muslim places. This is why the Palestinian negotiators did not sign…

efil4stnias

Play at your own risk
Reaction score
The map is an excuse.
This is the real reason

https://www.memri.org/tv/chief-pale...en-rejected-israeli-proposal-annapolis-arafat

In November 2008… Let me finish… Olmert, who talked today about his proposal to Abu Mazen, offered the 1967 borders, but said: “We will take 6.5% of the West Bank, and give in return 5.8% from the 1948 lands, and the 0.7% will constitute the safe passage, and East Jerusalem will be the capital, but there is a problem with the Haram and with what they called the Holy Basin.” Abu Mazen too answered with defiance, saying: “I am not in a marketplace or a bazaar. I came to demarcate the borders of Palestine – the June 4, 1967 borders – without detracting a single inch, and without detracting a single stone from Jerusalem, or from the holy Christian and Muslim places. This is why the Palestinian negotiators did not sign…

Ok so Israel was going to retain East Jerusalem?

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
No, Trump ******* up and backing down is something we'll see a ton of. He already backed down with China. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he backs down when he's about to get ****ed up, especially because I think he was wrong both times, but the man makes Paul Ryan look like a brave risk taker when push comes to shove.

He's a typical windbag, loud as hell, but folds like a chair under pressure. Normal bully profile.

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Mr. Trump told an Israeli newspaper that settlements “don’t help the process” and that he did not believe that “going forward with these settlements is a good thing for peace.” He also did not reaffirm his past vow to move the embassy, saying that it “is not an easy decision” and “we will see what happens.”
Seems pretty close to what I said earlier..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom