Israeli-Hezbollah War? (1 Viewer)

dapperdan

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm wondering if the recent car bombing of Imad Mugniyah is going to ignite an Israeli-Hezbollah war. I wonder if Israel conducted this hit in order to draw Hezbollah and Iran into a war. Both sides certainly have incentives to go to war.

http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2008/02/hezbollah_terrorist.php

Imad Mugniyah, the leader of Hezbollah’s military wing and a senior officer in Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps, was killed in yesterday’s car bombing in Damascus, Syria. Mugniyah was behind multiple terror attacks against US, Israel, and other nations, and most famously the 1983 Beirut suicide attacks which killed 241 US Marines and 58 French paratroopers.

http://www.debka.com/headline.php?hid=5030
Israel’s army chief orders IDF land, sea and air forces to prepare to defend the country’s northern borders and interests

Defense minister Ehud Barak said the entire national defense system is fully prepared and alert as heavy Israeli reinforcements, including homeland defense units, were rushed Thursday to northern Israel.

Lt. Gen. Gaby Ashkenazi gave these orders Thursday, Feb. 14, 24 hours after a bomb killed Hizballah’s military commander Imad Mughniyeh in Damascus.

DEBKAfile’s military sources report that he took these unprecedented steps following a stream of incoming intelligence updates reporting that Iran, Syria and Hizballah had decided not to let Mughniyeh’s death pass without an immediate response.

Israeli forces have been placed on the highest level of preparedness against possible Syrian or Hizballah cross-border strikes. Rocket attacks by Hizballah against Israeli civilians are also taken into account, as well as possible Syrian air force incursions into Israel air space.

Jerusalem has denied Hizballah and Iranian allegations of responsibility for the death of the Lebanese master terrorist.

Possibly, but I doubt it. It's standard practice for Israel to assasinate terrorist leaders. This combined with Israel's bombing of some facility in Syria this past summer is also a reminder to Syria, Iran, etc that Israel has the capability to strike within the heart of their countries.

I'm wondering if the recent car bombing of Imad Mugniyah is going to ignite an Israeli-Hezbollah war. I wonder if Israel conducted this hit in order to draw Hezbollah and Iran into a war. Both sides certainly have incentives to go to war.

They can only hope.

Israel has made its living on the provocation-revenge cycle. They can usually push the right button that gets the Arabs to respond recklessly, which allows them to escalate.

In the end they get more territory.

I thought the Israel - Hezbollah grudge match was an on-going and unending war with occasional lulls in the mayhem and carnage. :covri:

I thought the Israel - Hezbollah grudge match was an on-going and unending war with occasional lulls in the mayhem and carnage. :covri:

Pretty much.

It mostly never makes the US papers but they nudge each other constantly.

Even before the war in 2006 Israel violated Lebanese airspace on a regular basis. And they still hold a partiuclalry valuable slice of territory claimed by Lebanon that they refuse to withdraw from, probably because it is fertile land and water resources, like the Golan Heights:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shebaa_Farms

http://www.shebaafarms.org/briefhistory.html

It's all about land. The rest is just background noise.

Very interesting comments by DNI McConnell regarding the killing of Mugniyah. Hints that the Mugniyah killing have been an internal dispute within Hezbollah or Syria.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,330974,00.html

WALLACE: Director McConnell, you don't appear on Sunday shows often, so I'd like to take this opportunity to ask you about some of the threats that you do face around the world.

First, the assassination of terrorist Imad Mughniyeh this week — did the U.S. have anything to do with that?

MCCONNELL: No, Chris. I'm aware of the circumstances around it, and we are now — interestingly, from the kinds of capabilities we're talking about, we can see how various parties are commenting and so on.

And the big question, of course — Hezbollah has blamed Israel. But there's some evidence that it may have been internal Hezbollah. It may have been Syria. We don't know yet, and we're trying to sort that out.

They can only hope.

Israel has made its living on the provocation-revenge cycle. They can usually push the right button that gets the Arabs to respond recklessly, which allows them to escalate.

In the end they get more territory.
I don't like Isreal's stance on getting more territory, but I won't shed a single tear when they kill memebers of any terroist organizations.

I don't like Isreal's stance on getting more territory, but I won't shed a single tear when they kill memebers of any terroist organizations.

Hey!!!

Agreement for once.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom