It’s Florida time! (1 Viewer)

Krodwhodat

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The usual incident occurs with bumper stickers that contain profane language or pictures. For example, in 1999, a Florida woman was cited for her sticker, “fork you, you forking fork.” The charges against Laura Elizabeth Barron were eventually dropped.

https://www.freedomforuminstitute.o...l-public-expression-overview/bumper-stickers/

I'll let the lawyers here settle this one, but I assume at one point this will get dropped or thrown out. Whether it ultimately could stand a constitutional challenge, again, I'll let the lawyers have their say.

@superchuck500 give me a rundown on this type of law and freedom of speech?

Without doing any updated research, I think that purely vulgar speech is not protected from regulation for use in public (such as a bumper sticker). Where the speech uses profanity but makes an underlying expression that is more conventionally protected by the First Amendment, that can be different. So for instance a "fork Democrats!" bumper sticker is probably protected speech. But "I like to fork!" is not. This seems to be more like the latter than the former.

EDIT - Waymer's post might suggest otherwise. I don't know the full nuances in this area. Would have to do some reading.

wait... am i reading it right? the sticker says “i eat a__”?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom