It’s Gonna Be On Ownership To Let Go Of Allen… (1 Viewer)

Saint Jack

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The ownership is gonna need to be proactive if you want DA gone.
With the way the division is set up, the Saints are likely to get 7-8 wins and the division title by default.
As much as people are hoping for a 3-4 win season, it is unlikely.
Proactive ownership means letting go of a HC despite winning a severely weak division.

...loyal to a fault just like her late husband.
I don't dispute your larger point about Gayle, but that's not the book on Tom. Make no mistake, he was a shark when it came to business,,,and the Saints were a business to him. A shrewdly patient shark, certainly, but a shark nonetheless.

I have posted several times since the end of the season that Gayle was not going to fire him after one season. She is loyal to a fault just like her late husband. They all like each other a little too much for that to happen.
Someone correct me if I’m wrong because I’m going beyond my timeframe with the Saints, but I do see shades of how Tom Benson operated the team.
Even Ditka got three seasons.
Personally, if he goes 8-9 even with a NFCS title, I’d let him go.
Even a 9-8 depending on how weak the wins are.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong because I’m going beyond my timeframe with the Saints, but I do see shades of how Tom Benson operated the team.
Even Ditka got three seasons.
Personally, if he goes 8-9 even with a NFCS title, I’d let him go.
Even a 9-8 depending on how weak the wins are.
You and I are thinking like loyal fans, though. Running a big-time biz like a pro sports franchise(s) is quite different. Parentheses inserted because she owns the Pelicans, too.

Suggested reading is “A Millionaire’s Journey,” about Tom Benson. Book chronicles his life through right about the time of the court cases with the Three R’s. You’ll find he had too many irons on the fire, so to speak, to care about the football team until wayyyy later on in his ownership. Multiple business interests besides cars that I didn’t know about.

You and I are thinking like loyal fans, though. Running a big-time biz like a pro sports franchise(s) is quite different. Parentheses inserted because she owns the Pelicans, too.

Suggested reading is “A Millionaire’s Journey,” about Tom Benson. Book chronicles his life through right about the time of the court cases with the Three R’s. You’ll find he had too many irons on the fire, so to speak, to care about the football team until wayyyy later on in his ownership. Multiple business interests besides cars that I didn’t know about.
So just judging by Gayle, since she doesn’t have any big time side businesses to distract her, to my knowledge, do you think she’ll be more impatient?

So just judging by Gayle, since she doesn’t have any big time side businesses to distract her, to my knowledge, do you think she’ll be more impatient?
I suspect she'll go along with whatever Loomis and Lauscha recommend. But I DON'T think Loomis will be "loyal" to DA. Patient? Yes. Loyal? No.

I suspect she'll go along with whatever Loomis and Lauscha recommend. But I DON'T think Loomis will be "loyal" to DA. Patient? Yes. Loyal? No.
You put the O/U at three seasons.
Let’s just say for argument, the Saints go 9-8, which is extremely possible in this division, DA has a 16-18 record.
Would you keep him? You think Gayle/Loomis will keep him?

I think the assumption that we might win the division by default due to weakness is misplaced. While anything can happen and the offseason has barely started, I see, unfortunately, the Saints and Bucs on the downtrend with the other two teams (not going to mention them) having at least a small amount of hope of an uptrend. I wouldn't be surprised to see one of them get lucky with one their young QBs and make a positive move in 2023.

Of course, depending on what the Saints do at QB could change our fortunes also to an extent. I'm just down on the DA as HC and the inaction I've seen so far out of the front office. I think Loomis / DA might be thinking the same thing about division weakness and being able to make minor tweaks to get to back to a division crown. If so, doubt it works.

I think the assumption that we might win the division by default due to weakness is misplaced. While anything can happen and the offseason has barely started, I see, unfortunately, the Saints and Bucs on the downtrend with the other two teams (not going to mention them) having at least a small amount of hope of an uptrend. I wouldn't be surprised to see one of them get lucky with one their young QBs and make a positive move in 2023.

Of course, depending on what the Saints do at QB could change our fortunes also to an extent. I'm just down on the DA as HC and the inaction I've seen so far out of the front office. I think Loomis / DA might be thinking the same thing about division weakness and being able to make minor tweaks to get to back to a division crown. If so, doubt it works.
I wanna say by no means I’m penciling in a automatic division title in 2023. I wanna make that clear.
But compared to some other teams in about the same situation; Denver has to chase Mahomes, the Browns have to chase the Bengals, and the Dolphins and Patriots are chasing the Bills; it is not as dire.
There is no standard in the South right now.
The Bucs are in a post Brady stage.
The Falcons coach got swept by DA!
The Panthers have the most stable coach, but that’s not saying much.

I wanna say by no means I’m penciling in a automatic division title in 2023. I wanna make that clear.
But compared to some other teams in about the same situation; Denver has to chase Mahomes, the Browns have to chase the Bengals, and the Dolphins and Patriots are chasing the Bills; it is not as dire.
There is no standard in the South right now.
The Bucs are in a post Brady stage.
The Falcons coach got swept by DA!
The Panthers have the most stable coach, but that’s not saying much.
True, we are not chasing K.C. But, I'm not seeing a sense of urgency out of Loomis. At least, not yet. All it takes is for another NFC South GM to make an aggressive move (and with more cap maneuvability) with some luck and decent QB play. Then, we are right back looking up at another team in the standings.

I just don't know yet if Loomis is just biding his time with DA on a short leash or if he is going to fully accommodate DA and cause more short and long term pain for the franchise.

I don't disagree with her really. You can't judge a coach on one year. I know you guys can but rational people can't. Haha
I personally wouldn't want leadership that makes a decision then a year later changes direction. That, to me, would tell me they didn't do their homework to begin with.

True, we are not chasing K.C. But, I'm not seeing a sense of urgency out of Loomis. At least, not yet. All it takes is for another NFC South GM to make an aggressive move (and with more cap maneuvability) with some luck and decent QB play. Then, we are right back looking up at another team in the standings.

I just don't know yet if Loomis is just biding his time with DA on a short leash or if he is going to fully accommodate DA and cause more short and long term pain for the franchise.
I would say this. Whenever there isn’t a team like KC, the Saints from 06-19, or the Steelers, there isn’t a sense of urgency; if that makes any sense.
You’re not forced to make drastic decisions.
And this doesn’t just apply to the South, but to every division.

You put the O/U at three seasons.
Let’s just say for argument, the Saints go 9-8, which is extremely possible in this division, DA has a 16-18 record.
Would you keep him? You think Gayle/Loomis will keep him?
Me? Absolutely not!!

If it were me, I would have taken Denver's first NEXT year (plus additional high 2024 and 2025 picks to equal the point value of a 2023 mid-round first); kept DA another year; managed the roster to get cap space starting next season; and traded who/what I needed to maximize 2024 and 2025 picks; and stock a solid OL awaiting my rookie QB.

Loomis? In your scenario? I think he sends DA on his way after next season unless:

- they invest heavily in a veteran QB this year; and
- your argument's 9-8 season includes a string of solid late season victories won with a humming offense that Carmichael has figured out for that veteran QB.

But I don't see that happening.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom