It Feels Like Carr Is the Guy, Right? (1 Viewer)

Certainly not. He’s going to be cut. The Raiders have no choice.

I absolutely agree!

"Even with Carr signing the extension, moving on from him -- either by trading him (he does have a no-trade clause) or straight up releasing him shortly after the Super Bowl -- wouldn't cripple the Raiders financially. Perhaps benching Carr right now allows Vegas to showcase his availability a bit early, giving teams the opportunity to discuss the three-time Pro Bowler as a trade option before the wave of offseason moving and shaking. If no quality offers materialize, the Raiders can just cut bait with a manageable dead-money hit."

Last edited:
I absolutely agree!

Yeah...don't buy at the garage sale....hang out at the goodwill donation bin and grab him for free when they toss him out.

Yeah...don't buy at the garage sale....hang out at the goodwill donation bin and grab him for free when they toss him out.
No one will trade for him, but we can't afford a bidding war. Although I don't want to draft a QB with the current regime, we need to get our cap under control and Carr would set us back with 100 mil + contract over 5 years.

No one will trade for him, but we can't afford a bidding war. Although I don't want to draft a QB with the current regime, we need to get our cap under control and Carr would set us back with 100 mil + contract over 5 years.
100/5 ? As in a hunnid mil over 5 years? There's no way in hell he should get that much

100/5 ? As in a hunnid mil over 5 years? There's no way in hell he should get that much
I said 100+, the average franchise qb salary is in the high 30s. LJ is about get 40+ on a tag, and Aaron signed a 3 year 15 mil extension last year (fully guranteed I think). I don't think he's worth that much but other teams have cap space and we don't. I know he has ties to DA but he's not going to pass up more money to come to an unstable situation.

3 yrs @ 30 + million a yr.

3yr @ 22M/yr with a bunch of incentives so it reports as 27M.

Carr could be Wentz, an aging QB with lower body injuries and declining production that gets overpriced.

I'd be fine with Carr, but unless there's no competition for him (unlikely) he'll probably cost more than some are thinking. The floor for starting quarterbacks not on a first year contract seems to be about $30M/year, and he's making about $40M/ year currently so I'd expect he'll want to beat that or at least get as close as he can.

1674846233423.png

I'm in the anti-Carr group. IMO, Carr has not shown me he can do the things that help a team get to the SB. The next starting QB for the Saints is more likely to be someone like Dalton who brings the team a decent yet inexpensive QB option while a draft pick get's their legs under them. Carr could to that, but there are others who could do it also, without costing as much.

I'd be fine with Carr, but unless there's no competition for him (unlikely) he'll probably cost more than some are thinking. The floor for starting quarterbacks not on a first year contract seems to be about $30M/year, and he's making about $40M/ year currently so I'd expect he'll want to beat that or at least get as close as he can.

1674846233423.png
Yep...starting/franchise quarterbacks (not elite) are definitely going to cost you $30 million per year (unless you hit on a draft pick). Amazing Brady still accepts less. Also amazed the Colts paid Matt Ryan $100 mill guaranteed to play 12 games and then get benched. What a business!

I don’t like spending that type of cap for a regular QB when we need to fix the team more long term. I can live with a bad season if we are also purging our cap problems and we can only do that if we’re paying a lot less then 20mil a year on a QB. So I’ll take a 10mil Andy Dalton over a 20mil David Carr.

unless we can get a great QB in the draft I also think we should pick other positions where we need to purge salary cap from and go there With picks and look towards the following Draft for a QB.

I'm in the anti-Carr group. IMO, Carr has not shown me he can do the things that help a team get to the SB. The next starting QB for the Saints is more likely to be someone like Dalton who brings the team a decent yet inexpensive QB option while a draft pick get's their legs under them. Carr could to that, but there are others who could do it also, without costing as much.
Who else is out there that DA would be comfortable with? I am not anti-Carr but he fits DA's no-risk it profile. I don't think he's elite, but he's a B-tier qb.

1674846233423.png
Looking at this, he has at minimum be in Cousins-Goff-Wentz territory, which is $32-35m AAV. As much as he’s growing on me, I’m not sure he’s the one piece away from taking this team to the next level.

1674846233423.png

I'd argue the QB market is broken. The ceiling is Mahomes at 45M. The 4 QBs above him are not worth their A/Y based on recent performance or comparison and are so bad as to contribute to those teams' poor performance. Allen is reasonable at 43M. Stafford was 27M before winning a SB, now 40M. Dak's 40M contract was very questionable coming off an injury and for making 12% more than Cousins 35M when he isn't 12% better. Cousins, Goff, and Tannehill seem reasonable by comparison and I'm not sure I'd want Carr over any QB listed between Rodgers and Goff with the exception of Watson. Carr will be cut is because he isn't worth 40M, but he also isn't worth 30M either based on this list.

Wentz was twice traded and kept his 32M when he isn't worth half that. Ryan's contract will by a 100M loss for Indy who is now twice a loser on bad QB contracts/trades.

Can Carr be the reason you win a playoff game? If the honest answer is "no", then you spend money elsewhere and draft a QB. I think 22-27M is what he gets.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom