It Feels Like Carr Is the Guy, Right? (1 Viewer)

Really think the Jets end up with Rodgers
Has Rodgers even expressed interest in playing for the Jets? He’s already been on record saying that trade talk is nonsense because he hasn’t even decided if he will play again. I’m sure he has a no trade clause in his contract as well.

EDIT: He does not have a no-trade clause, but he has a retire any time I want clause.

The Jets still seem like a long shot, I think mentions of the Raiders make more sense because they pair him with a WR he already has chemistry with. Also, the Jets risk missing on a FA QB while waiting on Rodgers if they really think that they are a QB away from contending.

Last edited:
I think you have misplaced blame towards DA. It is Loomis who has brought us to this point. Post Sean, Loomis has been an abject failure as GM, as I have explained ad nauseam.

Failing to provide a QB solution over the last 3yrs and hiring DA over a much more qualified coach w/ skins on the wall, was a bigger blunder than anything DA has done this season. All DA did was accept the job and fail at it. We will not become a winner again with Loomis at the helm.
I agree that ML is part of the problem but he's cemented as part of the org for the rest of his life...so I look at it as a "what is more likely to change" type of thing...and aim my ire at that thing that can be changed. DA about to have me casually watching football like I did the last 4 games of the season. The Cle game...missed it completely, first game I missed since like '07

I don't either. I hope he's cut and we can go after him as a FA. Whether he gets cut is still an open question tho.
He'll be cut, everyone knows he has a higher cap hit after a certain date.

I worry about paying Carr $30-40 million a year for 3 years. It will keep our cap in and shape and we won’t take a swing at a young QB.
I’m getting the feeling Carr is going to be out of our price range, even though I can see upside in bringing him in given we have a similar play calling system/philosophy to the one where he had his best years. He has also never had a defense, and we would probably have the best one he’s ever played with.

That said, other teams with more draft capital and cap space can go into the offseason with the same game plan (sign a solid veteran and draft a rookie to develop), and we will have a hard time finding the cap dollars to bring him in. He should be prioritizing a large guaranteed sum after this latest multi year contract is being cut short after just one year.

I think that Goff/Wentz/etc price range is the low end, and those contracts are a few years old. I don’t think it would be crazy for him to see $40m+ annually.

I think if there are teams that are going to value him at $40 million a season then it becomes more likely that trade interest materializes. That’s basically what he’s set to make on his current deal. Why wait for him to hit the market if you’re just giving him the same money?

Of course anything can happen but I think if the there is mutual interest between Carr and the Saints, then the numbers can get worked out. That obviously comes at a cost in other areas but if we don’t figure out QB, how much does that really matter?

if we don’t figure out QB, how much does that really matter?
I don’t think anyone disagrees with this point, I’m probably just finding reasons it won’t work so I can be prepared for the inevitable disappointment when he signs with the Jets, Texans, or anyone else. He shouldn’t cost anything in a trade since the Raiders have no leverage.

I don’t think anyone disagrees with this point, I’m probably just finding reasons it won’t work so I can be prepared for the inevitable disappointment when he signs with the Jets, Texans, or anyone else. He shouldn’t cost anything in a trade since the Raiders have no leverage.

Yeah, it definitely might not happen. If there’s a team out there that is willing to go all-in on him, the Saints probably can’t compete. I’m leaning on the hope that his close relationship with Allen gives the Saints an edge, assuming they can still come in strong enough, but it’s certainly true that there could be better landing spots for him, depending on what he’s looking for and what the market ends up being for him.

It's so weird to see so many fans who basically are opposed to anything that isn't a rookie or a sure thing Top 10 QB. It's predicated on the idea that a decent/mediocre QB will give DA just enough life to not get s-canned, and folks want him to fail badly enough for a Top 5 pick and a new coach in 2024.

If literally every conversation is tailored to what is most likely to help DA fail as quickly as possible, the Saints become the Falcons to their own fanbase.

Carr is not who I want. His personality grates and he's a proven mid option. I'd like the team to take a shot, whether it's in 2nd or 3rd round or even end of 1st, on a young QB to at least have a lottery ticket and to take a shot on one of the young 1st round "busts" from prior years.

But it'd be perverse not to hope to get a better QB than we have. Carr is obviously younger, better, and has higher ceiling than Andy Dalton, and salary ain't my concern with the monopoly money the Saints account with. It's pretty obvious that a Saints team with Carr and a healthly Lattimore would've clearly made the playoffs this year.

I rather a 9-8 playoff team that likely won't win the SB than a 3-14 team staring at a high QB pick.

I like Carr and think you see a good QB on a train wreck of a team and organization.

That being said, I don’t want him. The saints have to get their cap under control and clear out the long term spend on a credit card action they have been doing. To get Carr would mean that can would have to be kicked down the road further. Sure it may help next year. But 2-3 years of continued rammed up against the cap, I’m not certain if it pays off

Yeah, it definitely might not happen. If there’s a team out there that is willing to go all-in on him, the Saints probably can’t compete. I’m leaning on the hope that his close relationship with Allen gives the Saints an edge, assuming they can still come in strong enough, but it’s certainly true that there could be better landing spots for him, depending on what he’s looking for and what the market ends up being for him.
I keep seeing people say that Carr has a good relationship with Allen. I’m not up to date on this but I’m assuming from DAs time at Oakland? My question is- if Carr played for Allen on multiplie teams that topped out at 4 wins, why would he want to play for him again?

I know there’s probably more to it than win/loss but i doubt Carr looks back on it like they did great things together (if the connection I’m imaging is what is being put forth)

I’m not saying it’s wrong or anything, I’m just curious why you’d wanna play for a guy that didn’t seem to do well at all the last time he was running your team.

I keep seeing people say that Carr has a good relationship with Allen. I’m not up to date on this but I’m assuming from DAs time at Oakland? My question is- if Carr played for Allen on multiplie teams that topped out at 4 wins, why would he want to play for him again?

I know there’s probably more to it than win/loss but i doubt Carr looks back on it like they did great things together (if the connection I’m imaging is what is being put forth)

I’m not saying it’s wrong or anything, I’m just curious why you’d wanna play for a guy that didn’t seem to do well at all the last time he was running your team.

Allen drafted Carr the season he was fired. I’m assuming they got close through the scouting process and their short time together as Raiders. Carr has said they have stayed in touch, talk regularly, and in his words, he loves Dennis Allen.

Of course that doesn’t necessarily mean he’ll end up in New Orleans, but it comes straight from Carr that there remains a good relationship between them.

Allen drafted Carr the season he was fired. I’m assuming they got close through the scouting process and their short time together as Raiders. Carr has said they have stayed in touch, talk regularly, and in his words, he loves Dennis Allen.

Of course that doesn’t necessarily mean he’ll end up in New Orleans, but it comes straight from Carr that there remains a good relationship between them.
I definitely don’t think it’s a case of us getting any kind of discount, but I think if that relationship is as good as reported, if might be our only chance at landing him. Plus as of now we don’t have a first rounder to draft his future replacement.

Carr is our best shot at winning now!

We were picked by most of the experts to win 13 games this year.
Due to injuries, our QB situation, and very conservative play calling, we under performed substantially.

It is interesting that so many people on the forum think that Loomis is the problem...
You don't get lucky with a Drew Brees type player in FA very often & you don't get a Franchise QB past the 5th pick in the draft very often especially in today's NFL.
Loomis is still one of the better GM's in the league.

So we were due for a left down after Drew's retirement or we had to get extremely lucky in the draft... Which as we know didn't happen.

If we want to have a winning record next year Carr is our best option.
Mayfield would be option #2.

Carr is our best shot at winning now!

We were picked by most of the experts to win 13 games this year.
Due to injuries, our QB situation, and very conservative play calling, we under performed substantially.

It is interesting that so many people on the forum think that Loomis is the problem...
You don't get lucky with a Drew Brees type player in FA very often & you don't get a Franchise QB past the 5th pick in the draft very often especially in today's NFL.
Loomis is still one of the better GM's in the league.

So we were due for a left down after Drew's retirement or we had to get extremely lucky in the draft... Which as we know didn't happen.

If we want to have a winning record next year Carr is our best option.
Mayfield would be option #2.
Who picked us to win 13 games this year?

Last edited:
Who picked to win 13 games this year?
On the ESPN morning show First Take, NFL analyst Bart Scott picked New Orleans to win the division over Tampa Bay, noting the greatness of quarterback Jameis Winston:

Most of the sports betting services had them pegged at 7 to 8 wins but quite a few preseason pundits thought Winston would step up and the Saints would give the Bucs competition for the division...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom