It Feels Like Carr Is the Guy, Right? (1 Viewer)

On the ESPN morning show First Take, NFL analyst Bart Scott picked New Orleans to win the division over Tampa Bay, noting the greatness of quarterback Jameis Winston:

Most of the sports betting services had them pegged at 7 to 8 wins but quite a few preseason pundits thought Winston would step up and the Saints would give the Bucs competition for the division...
You are correct; the general thought was we were done, but more than a few pundits said we were a sleeper team with Winston. That feels like ancient history now.

I agree that ML is part of the problem but he's cemented as part of the org for the rest of his life...so I look at it as a "what is more likely to change" type of thing...and aim my ire at that thing that can be changed. DA about to have me casually watching football like I did the last 4 games of the season. The Cle game...missed it completely, first game I missed since like '07
I feel you. We will know more when FA and the draft happen.

If the Raiders cut Carr and his relationship with DA brings him here I'm all for it, but I would not be for trading for that contract and I think the Saints still need to invest a draft pick into the position either way.

Last edited:
If the Raiders cut Carr and his relationship with DA brings him here I'm all for it, but I would not be fore trading for that contract and I think the Saints still need to invest a draft pick into the position either way.
I get not trading for his contract, and I lean towards trying to get him as a FA, I don't think he's gonna be that much cheaper as a FA. In all likelihood, some team is gonna offer him a contract that comes close to his current contract. The price for an experienced NFL qb is going up all the time.

Edit: The upshot is if he's a free agent, then Loomis has more flexibility in structuring a team/cap friendly contract that still pays what he's looking for.

Last edited:
I get not trading for his contract, and I lean towards trying to get him as a FA, I don't think he's gonna be that much cheaper as a FA. In all likelihood, some team is gonna offer him a contract that comes close to his current contract. The price for an experienced NFL qb is going up all the time.

Edit: The upshot is if he's a free agent, then Loomis has more flexibility in structuring a team/cap friendly contract that still pays what he's looking for.
If that's the case then a team would be willing to trade for him and his existing contract If he is straight up released (as being reported as an option of no team trades for him) he will more than likely have to reestablish his value to a new franchise and will come on a team friendly performance based contract.

Based on last season’s performance Carr is middle of the pack according to ESPN stats.

Carr seems like the play. His floor is probably a notch above Dalton's best. And his upside in skill and age are much better. You likely have to draft a QB unless he renews his career. You never know until you try and that's just where the saints are right now.

100/5 ? As in a hunnid mil over 5 years? There's no way in hell he should get that much
No one will trade for him, but we can't afford a bidding war. Although I don't want to draft a QB with the current regime, we need to get our cap under control and Carr would set us back with 100 mil + contract over 5 years.
You mean the guy who got benched at the Raiders, who's coach basically called him a weak punk, who wouldn't stay in the pocket and take the hit. That guy???

He is not going to command a long deal, but is talented enough to get compensated well in a short (3yr) deal.

You mean the guy who got benched at the Raiders, who's coach basically called him a weak punk, who wouldn't stay in the pocket and take the hit. That guy???

He is not going to command a long deal, but is talented enough to get compensated well in a short (3yr) deal.
I was trying to avoid saying all that but....yeah

The only way it makes sense is if the Saints can get him on a reasonably short deal that doesn't further cripple the team financially.

The only way it makes sense is if the Saints can get him on a reasonably short deal that doesn't further cripple the team financially.
Carr would have to want to play for the coach who drafted him, and in a system he already knows. Which is really just the Gruden west coast offense. Sean and Gruden's scheme share the same DNA. It would be the easiest transition for Carr.

I don't think he's going anywhere on a discount.

This is a league that has traded for Carson Wentz's bloated contract...TWICE.

I do think that wherever he goes it will probably involve a new contract. It will probably look similar to what Jared Goff got from the Rams + cap inflation.

The length is for cap purposes. Even if he was going to take a bargain deal, we can't afford to pay that money straight up over three years.
Also, no one think he was benched because of performance, he was benched to prevent a potential injury. If he got injured the 40 mil would have been guaranteed.
Again, I'm not saying I think Carr is great I'm only talking about the market.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom