It is as simple as lack of turnovers (1 Viewer)

dvdman

All-Pro
Reaction score
Turnovers, turnovers or lack of them has been the Saints main issue. The year we won the Super Bowl we had a bottom tier defense (funny how some things never change under Payton) yet we had 39 turnovers. In recent seasons we just can't create them. It was the difference yesterday.
Because of our poor defense we need them to level the playing field.

Well you can see it from the LB and CB they are always running down the field with there back to the QB. Face Guarding. Its almost as if they are being coach to play that way.

I found these statistics for the saints from a year ago:

W/L record with:

Zero turnovers (31-1)
When they “win” the turnover battle (24-4)
When they are “even” in the turnover ratio (19-9)
When the Saints LOSE the turnover battle (19-47)

That was a major thought I had yesterday.

How many teams win an NFL game in which they garner 0 defensive turnovers? It's gotta be pretty low.

The fact is, even with the offense totally perfect, you still usually need a game changing defensive play to win in this league. A short field, a pick 6, a sack/fumble, etc.

I guess the good news is that we are "due" to get one this week, right?

Every year in camp in recent years, we hear about how THIS team will be the one that finally gets turnovers. And every year, they fail to get them in actual games. When they do get one, it's like spotting a unicorn.

I understand it's only week one. A lot can change from here on out, but right now this looks like more of the same. Just one turnover would've made a huge difference in yesterday's game.

No turnovers, heck i don't even think the Saints had any QB hurries in the game.

Many turnovers come from pressure on the QB. 2 or 3 hurries against a QB like Carr or any QB in the NFL isn't going to cut it.

Bottom line: we've got to find a way to effect the QB.

Right!

There's no better indicators of a defense than turnovers and 3-and-outs. Fewer big plays are important too.

The offense needs to help the defense by getting ahead and running the ball. Any defense that stays on the field too long because of the offense will eventually fail.

The running game can almost be considered part of the defense.

The Raiders were killing themselves all game to the tune of 137 penalty yards. We were able to capitalize on those penalties on one TD drive and one 3 and out. However, the dome noise was likely responsible for most of those.

I thought the tackling yesterday was atrocious b/c we were trying to strip the ball instead of tackling the ball carrier. It's one thing to create turnovers, but it's more important to tackle the guy with the ball.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom