It is time for a new adventure (Payton's saints, version 3) (1 Viewer)

guillermo

Visible minority
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Unlike many of you around here, I am not mad about losing yesterday or even angry about the last four years. Actually, I am grateful, even when we didn't get to the big game.

I think that the job of the coach and general manager is to constantly put the team in a trajectory to make the playoffs, and once we are there, anything can happen.

And everything DID happen, a miracle play, a terrible call, two really disappointing loses.

I do kind of laugh when I listen to the talk of the saints being underachievers. Really? Besides New England, tell me which team can claim being divisional champions for 4 straight weeks. Have a touch of reality, at least 25 teams will love to have our record.

Coud we have done better? Of course we did. That and only that can be the nature of our dissapointment.

And how about Drew? I think there is no contest he is the best PASSER in the history of the league, but his playoff record will harm them in the talk of being one of the best quarterbacks ever. Not too shabby on my book.

Now, it's time for another adventure, and I am excited for it. We are starting Sean Payton's saints v3.0.

To me, priority number one is to find the resources to keep Marshon Lattimore and Ryan Ramczyk on long term deals. This is even priority over the quarterback of the future.

If we can find money to hold to Trey Hendrickson, that will be a huge bonus.

Regarding who will play quarterback, I think it will be Taysom at least on a transitional period, if not more.

Why Taysom and not Jamies? Easy. Money. The priority is to earmark money for Lattimore and Ramczyk. It Jamies wants to be our quarterback, he will have to do it on the cheap for a couple of years. We simply don't have the money to pay him.

Can it be another guy currently on the league? Before starting posting exotic trade options (like Watson's), please consider that trades have cap considerations, that 31 General Managers work for the best interest of their teams, and finally, that other teams have more cap space and trade assets (players and draft picks) to trade for NFL stars. I'll give you an example: Watson wants out. He likes Robert Saleh. The Jets have the second overall pick and Sam Darnold, If I am Caserio, I am sure I can take more from the Jets than from the Saints.

I am excited because I can see Sean Payton re-designing the team. We can see an offense similar to the ravens if Taysom is the long term answer. We can return to the vertical game is Jameis is the guy. And we can see something specific if we get a player on a trade or at the draft.

We are in a good division to be competitive soon. Yes we are old, but so the Falcons and Bucs. The panthers are young but with ways to go. We don't need to be lethal in order to be competitive.

So once that the anger passes, treasure with joy what we lived the last four years, and be prepared to a new adventure. It is going to be fun.

This is a nice post that will probably get pushed down the board by others. I feel like, after 4 years of this, I need to accept that SP is a very good regular season coach, is capable of winning a lot of regular season games... But since 2009 has been average at best in the playoffs. Starting to get a Marty Schottenheimer vibe

This is a nice post that will probably get pushed down the board by others. I feel like, after 4 years of this, I need to accept that SP is a very good regular season coach, is capable of winning a lot of regular season games... But since 2009 has been average at best in the playoffs. Starting to get a Marty Schottenheimer vibe

Not to make this another "Brees sucks" argument, but I don't see how you can point the finger at Payton when every playoff loss sans the Vikings WC loss last year can be attributed to either fluky plays, bad defense, or Brees.

You had me until Taysom
I think you’re exactly correct implying that the board could benefit from a bit more perspective and realize winning is hard and winning consistently is much harder

but if coach thinks Jameis is a much better QB than Taysom (and I’m guessing he does) then Loomis will have to make that happen

Just making sure we are thinking on the same page. Did Sean Payton Saints 2.0 version start in 2013 after bounty gate episode or in 2017 when we started our Division dominance?

Great sentiment, guillermo. Not getting to Super Bowls does not equal utter failure. The team had a solid shot every year over the past four throughout Brees' declining years.

You're right -- it's time to turn the page. And you're right to recognize that the Saints' team as constructed can't keep everyone. Excellent players will end up on other teams -- just the nature of the business.

I'm willing to give Loomis, Ireland, Payton, and staff another shot to build a title contender.

... but if coach thinks Jameis is a much better QB than Taysom (and I’m guessing he does) then Loomis will have to make that happen
Right. Extremely important for the fan base to remember -- Winston is not under contract. If he sees a better opportunity, Winston is free to pursue it and the Saints will have to adjust.

Agree on all points.

- It has been a great four years. Division champs four times and 6-2 against the Falcons.

- Re-signing Lattimore is key. The tight coverage we have been seeing (even yesterday) is a spectacular improvement from the days of 2012-2016.

- We don't have the money to pay a FA QB and we need to hoard picks as long as we have Ireland to use them.

You had me until Taysom
I think you’re exactly correct implying that the board could benefit from a bit more perspective and realize winning is hard and winning consistently is much harder

but if coach thinks Jameis is a much better QB than Taysom (and I’m guessing he does) then Loomis will have to make that happen

Guido, I am not pushing for Taysom over Jamies. I frankly am not passionate about either of them.

My point is, before figuring the quarterback, we should find money to lock Lattimore, Ramczyk and possibly Hendrickson to long term deals.

After that, we can consider the quarterback. Jamies made 2 million this year (I think) and he can easily double or triple his salary if he decides so (just look at some back-up money currently paid).

I would love to keep Jamies, and love to have a quarterback competition, but I don't think we can afford it.

Actually we do have the money to pay him. It's just cap wizardry of giving Winston a backload deal.

Guido, I am not pushing for Taysom over Jamies. I frankly am not passionate about either of them.

My point is, before figuring the quarterback, we should find money to lock Lattimore, Ramczyk and possibly Hendrickson to long term deals.

After that, we can consider the quarterback. Jamies made 2 million this year (I think) and he can easily double or triple his salary if he decides so (just look at some back-up money currently paid).

I would love to keep Jamies, and love to have a quarterback competition, but I don't think we can afford it.
I didn’t take your post as pro-Taysom, and it makes much sense $ wise; I just think SP will tell/ask Loomis to figure out the way to keep Jameis

Not to make this another "Brees sucks" argument, but I don't see how you can point the finger at Payton when every playoff loss sans the Vikings WC loss last year can be attributed to either fluky plays, bad defense, or Brees.

I know you can't account for fluke plays and refs etc, but something has just seemed "off" with the defense (in this game and the Minn playoff game last season). A lack of fire, and pressure that they normally had during the regular season didn't get to the opposing qb. I don't know what it is, just didn't seem like the same. I don't know what it is or how to describe it. I think SP has assembled a good regular season team, just something is missing in the playoffs, something that they are lacking to get them over the hump so to speak

I'm not satisfied with the offense wilting once again in the playoffs and SP and staff have to shoulder a lot of the blame for that. He has become a lesser version of Andy Reid in Philly....since 2010.....I'm really starting to think he perhaps the largest part of this team's playoff failures....

Great post. The more I think about Taysom vs Winston you're right. Payton has to design completely different offenses for both.

Big no to Taysom at QB. We saw enough in four games to see he’s not it.

The money argument loses steam when your alternatives are Jameis (who won’t command much more than the minimum) and a draft pick (which you’ll have to pay anyway).

You’re paying him regardless. Don’t throw good money after bad.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom