It is time for a new adventure (Payton's saints, version 3) (1 Viewer)

My point is that besides the teams that have won the Super Bowl in the last 4 years, I think almost every team would love to have the same record the same did. I mean even Green Bay, Seattle, Pittsburgh and all the darlings of the league can't challenge our record.

Since as I wrote, the goal is to be able to get to the playoffs, I don't think we underachieved, but also we were not able to reach the final goal.

2018 we underachieved. All the other years we just weren’t a Super Bowl team. This team could have been but we had injuries at the worst time and we were never able to play together, which hurt us. And Brees aging rapidly.

Agree Guillermo that now is not the time to bash Payton or Brees. Payton has done a great job making the team consistently competitive after the Bounty Gate travesty. I don’t think Taysom is the answer, though. He takes too long to read coverages, and his style of plays lends itself to injury. Maybe Jameis is the guy. We haven’t gotten to see him in practice or hardly at all in a real game as a Saint, so it’s hard to say, but maybe he will be affordable since he’s no longer a starting QB?

Not to make this another "Brees sucks" argument, but I don't see how you can point the finger at Payton when every playoff loss sans the Vikings WC loss last year can be attributed to either fluky plays, bad defense, or Brees.
Easy he's the head coach and play caller how can you consistently come out flat in the playoffs or not take advantage of field position and score when you need to or something that should be easy get 1 first down to ice a game.
Its easy to always point to defense but the past few seasons the defense has kept the game from being blown out only to but gassed at the end because of being on the field for so long

This team will be totally different. This will be a retooled team. You can’t pay everyone. I believe Hendrickson, Marcus Williams, Rankins, Janoris Jenkins, Anzalone, Jared Cook, and Kwon Alexander will be gone.

1st priority is to sign and extend Ram and Lattimore. Next priority will be to sign Winston(from reports, Saints really want him). Saints will not pay Hendrickson will be looking for big pay and some team will. It won’t be the Saints.

I don't know if we'll be "totally different", but I do expect some significant (and perhaps unexpected?) turnover. We're slammed against the cap, the cap is supposedly going down by about $20M next year, and another $20M will be due against Brees' contract (assuming retirement). That's a LOT of salary cap trimming to do, before you can even get to the extensions of some of our fantastic 2017 picks.

100% agree on Ram & Lattimore. Mainstays & building blocks. In Payton's terminology...."MUST HAVES". As for the others, my personal opinions are as follows:

Hendrickson - I think he played himself out of our price range. Like to keep him, but can't afford him. Someone will show him the money. I think it'll be a mistake for him to leave, as I'm not sure his blossoming isn't the product of playing on a Dline with no weak links. He's a "WANT", but he's gone, IMO.

Williams - I'm torn on this one. So much promise and potential. So many stupid mistakes and too often out of position. I was ready to move on from him last year, but playing next to Malcolm, he seems to be coming together again. Is he a late bloomer? Or just needs someone to coach him on the field? Might be the same situation as Hendy...."WANT" him back, but likely can't afford to keep him.

Rankins - I'm torn on this one too. Was turning into a ferocious monster in the middle before he blew his achilles, and seems to be bit by the injury bug since. But he was solid this year, and seemed to be regaining form. I WANT him back, but we've got good depth behind him and we don't lose much, if anything, when the depth is playing. I think he's gone.

Janoris Jenkins - With Lattimore on the other side, opposing teams look away from Lat's side of the field. Anyone remember what it's like to have a shutdown corner on the field that never gets thrown at because the CB on the other side gives up every throw? And the depth behind him is nothing but guys that he was brought in to replace. Don't know if we can afford him, but we need to keep him.

Anzalone - such great promise as a rookie. But derailed by injuries and hasn't progressed. If anything, seems to have regressed. I'm fine letting him pursue other opportunities, even though our depth APPEARS to be thin. I'm hoping Baun, Ellis, and Hanson elevate their game enough to surpass what AA provided. I'm also fine keeping him for depth, but wouldn't be matching other offers.

Jared Cook - had such high hopes for this signing. A HUGE man with power & speed, coming off his best season with Derek Carr. Pairing him with TE-friendly DB9 seemed like the perfect tonic to rip apart opposing defenses, pass by pass. But the man seems to have butterfingers at the WORST possible moments. whatever the reason, he hasn't progressed, or even performed to expectations. Let's see what Trautman can do.

Kwon Alexander - maybe it's a coincidence, but the defense started playing lights-out once he broke into the starting lineup. and maybe it's a coincidence, but the defense seemed to regress a little when he hit IR. Whatever "it" is, he seems to bring a spark to the defense. I'd like to keep him, but at a reasonable price. He seems to be injury prone, but sure is a difference maker when he's in there.

These are just my opinions. But I'll quickly add that the Saints staff have earned my trust when it comes to personnel decisions. These aren't the "same ole Saints" who sign washed up QBs and RBs based on past accomplishments, but are now looking for one last payday; and we aren't the same Saints who trade away HOF left tackles because of locker room disputes with "replaceable players", or let the Dome Patrol LB core leave piece by piece with nothing to show for it (other than the pick we turned into Roaf), or let your teams leading all-time scorer leave acrimoniously, only to have these players terrorize us with their new teams. No....in today's world, when the Saints let you go, you mostly just disappear and are never heard from again (with very few noted exceptions). So if the Saints brass goes against my opinions, I'll know it's because THEY KNOW SOMETHING that I do not. And I'll be fine with that...

Unlike many of you around here, I am not mad about losing yesterday or even angry about the last four years. Actually, I am grateful, even when we didn't get to the big game.

I think that the job of the coach and general manager is to constantly put the team in a trajectory to make the playoffs, and once we are there, anything can happen.

And everything DID happen, a miracle play, a terrible call, two really disappointing loses.

I do kind of laugh when I listen to the talk of the saints being underachievers. Really? Besides New England, tell me which team can claim being divisional champions for 4 straight weeks. Have a touch of reality, at least 25 teams will love to have our record.

Coud we have done better? Of course we did. That and only that can be the nature of our dissapointment.

And how about Drew? I think there is no contest he is the best PASSER in the history of the league, but his playoff record will harm them in the talk of being one of the best quarterbacks ever. Not too shabby on my book.

Now, it's time for another adventure, and I am excited for it. We are starting Sean Payton's saints v3.0.

To me, priority number one is to find the resources to keep Marshon Lattimore and Ryan Ramczyk on long term deals. This is even priority over the quarterback of the future.

If we can find money to hold to Trey Hendrickson, that will be a huge bonus.

Regarding who will play quarterback, I think it will be Taysom at least on a transitional period, if not more.

Why Taysom and not Jamies? Easy. Money. The priority is to earmark money for Lattimore and Ramczyk. It Jamies wants to be our quarterback, he will have to do it on the cheap for a couple of years. We simply don't have the money to pay him.

Can it be another guy currently on the league? Before starting posting exotic trade options (like Watson's), please consider that trades have cap considerations, that 31 General Managers work for the best interest of their teams, and finally, that other teams have more cap space and trade assets (players and draft picks) to trade for NFL stars. I'll give you an example: Watson wants out. He likes Robert Saleh. The Jets have the second overall pick and Sam Darnold, If I am Caserio, I am sure I can take more from the Jets than from the Saints.

I am excited because I can see Sean Payton re-designing the team. We can see an offense similar to the ravens if Taysom is the long term answer. We can return to the vertical game is Jameis is the guy. And we can see something specific if we get a player on a trade or at the draft.

We are in a good division to be competitive soon. Yes we are old, but so the Falcons and Bucs. The panthers are young but with ways to go. We don't need to be lethal in order to be competitive.

So once that the anger passes, treasure with joy what we lived the last four years, and be prepared to a new adventure. It is going to be fun.

Wonderful post.

Here’s my question: All that can still happen with the idea of Saints trading all of their picks (putting all of their eggs in a basket) by trading all of their picks to move up to 3rd and draft Zach Wilson (if he’s still there), correct? Taysom can still be a transitional year, but i would take the risk of putting all of my picks in a basket for the next Mahomes even if that means I am not able to draft another player this year

Wonderful post.

Here’s my question: All that can still happen with the idea of Saints trading all of their picks (putting all of their eggs in a basket) by trading all of their picks to move up to 3rd and draft Zach Wilson (if he’s still there), correct? Taysom can still be a transitional year, but i would take the risk of putting all of my picks in a basket for the next Mahomes even if that means I am not able to draft another player this year

With many holes that will be opened on the roster because of cap casualties, I really don't think we will look to go up to pick a quarterback. On the opposite side of the trade, I don't see any top 5, or even a top 10 team in the draft, willing to go down to #28 to get extra picks or players.

We may want a new quarterback (right now, we don't know) but I am sure we will not invest the draft capital to go far to get any player.

I think Saints are going to look like the 2006-2009 Saints era. Not bad team but good enough to make a Super Bowl run. Saints gonna have some holes to fill. Saints need all draft picks they can get. I wouldn’t be surprise if you see some players traded for more picks. I think this is order of needs: LB, DL, OL, DB, WR, RB.

Here is another angle that can be good, and that is our performance with Drew's injuries.

Let me explain, Drew and Coach Payton were tied together. Not a bad thing but I think the record of wins with Teddy and Taysom will allow Coach Payton to be even more confident on his approach to the future. He knows he needs a good quarterback, but he also knows now that he can be successful without Drew.

I don't know if we'll be "totally different", but I do expect some significant (and perhaps unexpected?) turnover. We're slammed against the cap, the cap is supposedly going down by about $20M next year, and another $20M will be due against Brees' contract (assuming retirement). That's a LOT of salary cap trimming to do, before you can even get to the extensions of some of our fantastic 2017 picks.

100% agree on Ram & Lattimore. Mainstays & building blocks. In Payton's terminology...."MUST HAVES". As for the others, my personal opinions are as follows:

Hendrickson - I think he played himself out of our price range. Like to keep him, but can't afford him. Someone will show him the money. I think it'll be a mistake for him to leave, as I'm not sure his blossoming isn't the product of playing on a Dline with no weak links. He's a "WANT", but he's gone, IMO.

Williams - I'm torn on this one. So much promise and potential. So many stupid mistakes and too often out of position. I was ready to move on from him last year, but playing next to Malcolm, he seems to be coming together again. Is he a late bloomer? Or just needs someone to coach him on the field? Might be the same situation as Hendy...."WANT" him back, but likely can't afford to keep him.

Rankins - I'm torn on this one too. Was turning into a ferocious monster in the middle before he blew his achilles, and seems to be bit by the injury bug since. But he was solid this year, and seemed to be regaining form. I WANT him back, but we've got good depth behind him and we don't lose much, if anything, when the depth is playing. I think he's gone.

Janoris Jenkins - With Lattimore on the other side, opposing teams look away from Lat's side of the field. Anyone remember what it's like to have a shutdown corner on the field that never gets thrown at because the CB on the other side gives up every throw? And the depth behind him is nothing but guys that he was brought in to replace. Don't know if we can afford him, but we need to keep him.

Anzalone - such great promise as a rookie. But derailed by injuries and hasn't progressed. If anything, seems to have regressed. I'm fine letting him pursue other opportunities, even though our depth APPEARS to be thin. I'm hoping Baun, Ellis, and Hanson elevate their game enough to surpass what AA provided. I'm also fine keeping him for depth, but wouldn't be matching other offers.

Jared Cook - had such high hopes for this signing. A HUGE man with power & speed, coming off his best season with Derek Carr. Pairing him with TE-friendly DB9 seemed like the perfect tonic to rip apart opposing defenses, pass by pass. But the man seems to have butterfingers at the WORST possible moments. whatever the reason, he hasn't progressed, or even performed to expectations. Let's see what Trautman can do.

Kwon Alexander - maybe it's a coincidence, but the defense started playing lights-out once he broke into the starting lineup. and maybe it's a coincidence, but the defense seemed to regress a little when he hit IR. Whatever "it" is, he seems to bring a spark to the defense. I'd like to keep him, but at a reasonable price. He seems to be injury prone, but sure is a difference maker when he's in there.

These are just my opinions. But I'll quickly add that the Saints staff have earned my trust when it comes to personnel decisions. These aren't the "same ole Saints" who sign washed up QBs and RBs based on past accomplishments, but are now looking for one last payday; and we aren't the same Saints who trade away HOF left tackles because of locker room disputes with "replaceable players", or let the Dome Patrol LB core leave piece by piece with nothing to show for it (other than the pick we turned into Roaf), or let your teams leading all-time scorer leave acrimoniously, only to have these players terrorize us with their new teams. No....in today's world, when the Saints let you go, you mostly just disappear and are never heard from again (with very few noted exceptions). So if the Saints brass goes against my opinions, I'll know it's because THEY KNOW SOMETHING that I do not. And I'll be fine with that...
Here an ESPN article regarding players and priorities:

I am surprised onthem giving such priority on keeping Marcus Williams.

Unlike many of you around here, I am not mad about losing yesterday or even angry about the last four years. Actually, I am grateful, even when we didn't get to the big game.

I think that the job of the coach and general manager is to constantly put the team in a trajectory to make the playoffs, and once we are there, anything can happen.

And everything DID happen, a miracle play, a terrible call, two really disappointing loses.

I do kind of laugh when I listen to the talk of the saints being underachievers. Really? Besides New England, tell me which team can claim being divisional champions for 4 straight weeks. Have a touch of reality, at least 25 teams will love to have our record.

Coud we have done better? Of course we did. That and only that can be the nature of our dissapointment.

And how about Drew? I think there is no contest he is the best PASSER in the history of the league, but his playoff record will harm them in the talk of being one of the best quarterbacks ever. Not too shabby on my book.

Now, it's time for another adventure, and I am excited for it. We are starting Sean Payton's saints v3.0.

To me, priority number one is to find the resources to keep Marshon Lattimore and Ryan Ramczyk on long term deals. This is even priority over the quarterback of the future.

If we can find money to hold to Trey Hendrickson, that will be a huge bonus.

Regarding who will play quarterback, I think it will be Taysom at least on a transitional period, if not more.

Why Taysom and not Jamies? Easy. Money. The priority is to earmark money for Lattimore and Ramczyk. It Jamies wants to be our quarterback, he will have to do it on the cheap for a couple of years. We simply don't have the money to pay him.

Can it be another guy currently on the league? Before starting posting exotic trade options (like Watson's), please consider that trades have cap considerations, that 31 General Managers work for the best interest of their teams, and finally, that other teams have more cap space and trade assets (players and draft picks) to trade for NFL stars. I'll give you an example: Watson wants out. He likes Robert Saleh. The Jets have the second overall pick and Sam Darnold, If I am Caserio, I am sure I can take more from the Jets than from the Saints.

I am excited because I can see Sean Payton re-designing the team. We can see an offense similar to the ravens if Taysom is the long term answer. We can return to the vertical game is Jameis is the guy. And we can see something specific if we get a player on a trade or at the draft.

We are in a good division to be competitive soon. Yes we are old, but so the Falcons and Bucs. The panthers are young but with ways to go. We don't need to be lethal in order to be competitive.

So once that the anger passes, treasure with joy what we lived the last four years, and be prepared to a new adventure. It is going to be fun.

I agree to looking forward to Sean Payton's SAINTS v.3.0. It will show just how good of a coach we have in Sean Payton.
And yes our priority should be earmarking money to pay Marshon Lattimore and Ryan Ramczyk. Those two players importance to the SAINTS is utmost.
Marshon is tasked every week in covering the opposing team's best receivers. You hardly hear Marshon being mentioned in game. That's because he is exceptional at his job. A very important player for the TEAM
Ryan Ramczyk, what can you say that already hasn't been said by those who should know a great player. A Pro Bowler every year.
Both Ramczyk and Lattimore deserve top level player money. They have earned it, and the SAINTS do take care of their top players financially.
As far as cap space, from what I have seen printed as the new severe drop in cap because of Covid, then ALL teams will be up against the cap.
This again is where we will see the worth of our General Manager's financial wizardry.
I would like to see Jeff Ireland promoted to total control of the GM position. If not we will lose him. If not this year, next. Chicago might be looking for a new GM next year.

I would like to see Jeff Ireland promoted to total control of the GM position. If not we will lose him. If not this year, next. Chicago might be looking for a new GM next year.

For what we know, Ireland interviewed for the Detroit job, and was talked about for other jobs.

It is interesting to me that Fontenot, not Ireland, got a G.M. position on this cycle.

I am all for a promotion for Ireland, and I don't think it is a difficult thing to do. You can give him a new title and salary. Make the person who will be replacing Fontenot to report to him. There you go!

I know you can't account for fluke plays and refs etc, but something has just seemed "off" with the defense (in this game and the Minn playoff game last season). A lack of fire, and pressure that they normally had during the regular season didn't get to the opposing qb. I don't know what it is, just didn't seem like the same. I don't know what it is or how to describe it. I think SP has assembled a good regular season team, just something is missing in the playoffs, something that they are lacking to get them over the hump so to speak

What was "off" with the defense was having to defend an incredibly short field three times.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom