It may be too soon to say this but... (1 Viewer)

City Champ

HOF 2010
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Could Brees be the next Montana???

If you ask me, the best QB of all time was Montana. For those of you old enough to remember when Montana came into the league, you will remember that he was not very highly rated. He was a 3rd pick (brees 2nd) and the knock on him was arm strength. The thing that made Montana so great was his ability to stay cool under pressure and his cerebral approach to the game. Montana could always put the ball where only his guys could get to it, and never tried to take more than the Defense would give him. His vision and field presense always amazed me. As a Saints fan, I watched Montana beat some very good Saints Defenses with this approach. We had some luck against him, but more often than not, Montana came out on the better end.

The last few games, it appears Brees has really started to see everything much clearer. He has been very good over the course of the season, but early on, some of his choices were less than stellar and he seemed to float balls. As of late, he just appears to play at a higher level compared to others on the field. I know its early, but I see ALOT of Montana in his approach to the game, and the way he commands the team. His vision and pocket presence is eerily familiar and his calmness is blatanly apparent. Look at the last two drives in yesterday's game and the last drive of the Philly game. It almost looked effortless. I know we have a good QB on our hands, but could we be on the verge of greatness???

Either way, its refreshing to see this type of play from the QB position. As Saints fans, we have endured many seasons of sub par QB play. That drought has certainly ended, but we may be in store for something much more special in the season and years to come.

my .02

Brees is the next Montana.
Colston is the next Rice.

Man we're doing pretty good aren't we?

If only they can bring the S.B. rings in like Montana and Rice did. The word Saints and dynasty would sure sound good in the same sentence.

All we need now is the next ray lewis

He certainly has Kfran. The guy isn't blowing anyone away with amazing arm strength or running passed defenders with breath taking speed. He is just making really good decisions with the football. That was what Montana was great at. He rarely did something stupid with the football, rarely got sacked, and NEVER cracked under pressure. Watching him play has brought back some very old memories, I'm just happy we are on the good end of this for a change. We will win alot more games than we lose with Brees under center...

He certainly has Kfran. The guy isn't blowing anyone away with amazing arm strength or running passed defenders with breath taking speed. He is just making really good decisions with the football. That was what Montana was great at. He rarely did something stupid with the football, rarely got sacked, and NEVER cracked under pressure. Watching him play has brought back some very old memories, I'm just happy we are on the good end of this for a change. We will win alot more games than we lose with Brees under center...

It feels good to be envied by other fans over your QB, rather than the butt of their jokes about your QB, doesn't it OnePeat? What a wonderful change!!!!

Joe Montana may be the best now but you can bank on it that Peyton Manning will go down as the greatest ever. After he wins the superbowl though and that could be any year he plays.

He's probably too nice and cool to be the next John Unitas....if you want to compare him to the best ever. :hihi:

The old Montana/Rice Niners had a better D than the current Brees/Colston Saints......

Manning is going to have to win more than just one...
Montana had good numbers, but more impressive was his win percentage, especially in the Playoffs. I will head some of you off at the pass with the whole, he played with Rice, Craig, Waters, taylor stuff...

Montana got those guys the ball...

and CT, Brady has tons of physical talent compared to Montana. Montana could not throw a ball 40 yrds...
well, at least not a spiral...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom