It sucks to be an SEC team... (1 Viewer)

Some teams need to schedule tough OOC games to balance their schedule...the SEC does not.

I think the SEC, and all conferences really, have a responsibility to play some nonconference games against other BCS conferences though. You have to have some sort of comparative value. Besides, if the SEC is so good (and we are) then we'll win most of our non-conference games.

I think the SEC, and all conferences really, have a responsibility to play some nonconference games against other BCS conferences though. You have to have some sort of comparative value. Besides, if the SEC is so good (and we are) then we'll win most of our non-conference games.

Agree 100%. LSU had VTech in there, but were still criticized for La Tech, Tulane, etc.

I think it's true that if the SEC is so good they'll win anyway. But the schedule is brutal, and sometimes you need to have those weeks in there to get healthy. It's a balancing act for those making the schedule, no doubt about it. Conferences with built-in creampuffs have an excuse; "we HAVE to play them" -- SEC, for the most part, doesn't have that, and yet gets criticized when an SEC team schedules more soft OOC teams than other conferences do.

Then again, the criticism is coming from ESPN, so I dont' really care...:D

UGA is holding up their end of that deal, @ Arizona St, vs. Ga Tech. Also play Central Michigan who played Purdue in a bowl game this year.

LSU may win the SEC again but it'll be difficult,

Funny, I don't ever remember a national champion lifting the trophy at the end of the year and saying...

"Ya know, it was really easy this year. All we had to do was come out the tunnel each game and our opponents just gave us the victories."

I suspect it will always be difficult to win a national championship.

It takes great skilled players, imaginative coaches, and a whole lot of good fortune to get through any season on top...

Especially in the SEC!

Agree 100%. LSU had VTech in there, but were still criticized for La Tech, Tulane, etc.

I don't think anyone ought to fault you for La Tech or Tulane, but Middle Tennessee State was pretty weak :hihi:

I think a fair split is 2 BCS conference schools and 2 non-BCS conference schools.

I'd actually like to see some standardization in college football. I know the conferences are all unique and that's special, but I think we can all agree all BCS conferences need to have a championship game and I think all BCS conferences should require BCS schools to schedule 2 non-conference BCS games to be bowl eligible.

Next year Ohio State plays USC, which is going to be a great game, but then they play Youngstown, Ohio, and Troy State. Does anyone else see a potential 11-1 season for OSU where they talk about "one bad game" vs USC?

If they played another BCS school, doesn't even have to be a great one like USC (say Louisville, or maybe Nebreska), and the rest of the Big Ten played OOC games, and the rest of the BCS conferences played good OOC games, then we'd have something to compare too.

Sure OSU is 11-1, but they lost to USC, struggled to beat Louisville, and the Big Ten had a terrible OOC schedule. They don't belong in the NC game, this two loss Oregon school that won the Pac-10, a conference with a good OOC schedule, deserves to go. etc

Funny, I don't ever remember a national champion lifting the trophy at the end of the year and saying...

"Ya know, it was really easy this year. All we had to do was come out the tunnel each game and our opponents just gave us the victories."

I suspect it will always be difficult to win a national championship.

It takes great skilled players, imaginative coaches, and a whole lot of good fortune to get through any season on top...

Especially in the SEC!

His point is the SEC will be much tougher next year. Georgia and Florida stand to be much better teams over the full season. Auburn stands to be just as good, Bama has a top recruiting class coming in, MSU returns most of its starters and can sneak up on SEC teams, Tennesse will always be tough, etc. Its not tougher because LSU won't be better, but because of the competition in the conf.

LSU opens the season next year with North Texas, Troy and a patsy to be determined later before opening up in the SEC at Auburn. That's three games for the LBers abd CB's to get the kinks worked out before facing they're first real test.

Just remember this when y'all are dissing everybody's else strength of schedule every year.

Georgia played with youth all this year. I'm sure they'll be the favorite, and Florida nipping at there heels. Auburn possibly could be up there too. I'd put LSU maybe 3rd.

LSU: Two BCS titles
Florida: One BCS title
Georgia: Zero BCS titles

Les is building a dynasty at LSU. It will always be tough to win the SEC b/c of the high level of competition from top to bottom, but LSU is loaded and will not relinquish its SEC and national crowns easily. We have a tougher schedule next year in the SEC b/c of the away games, but we beat Tennessee in the Georgia Dome without our starting QB and practically without Dorsey this year. I don't think the Tigers will fear anyone next year.

i expect us to have a learning curve next year with misses so many seniors and juniors that are leaving for the draft. the talent is there and boy there is alot of it. the only thing is the experience and playing in big games week in and week out. i think we will contend for the SEC west but its gonna be quite a test next year with UGA coming into death valley and us going to the swamp.

i expect us to have a learning curve next year with misses so many seniors and juniors that are leaving for the draft. the talent is there and boy there is alot of it. the only thing is the experience and playing in big games week in and week out. i think we will contend for the SEC west but its gonna be quite a test next year with UGA coming into death valley and us going to the swamp.

Depending on how we handle Auburn and how UGA handles Florida, I think it will be UGA and LSU for the SEC championship. Should be another interesting year in college football!! :D

Not just losing to Tennessee - but crushed, destroyed, and used as toilet paper by Tennessee.

I think that's an important point...LSU looked pretty bad some games, but they were not "crushed, destroyed, or used as toilet paper" by ANYONE this year....UGA can't claim that, and neither can USC. I think that's why the 2 losses by LSU were not looked upon as negatively as the losses by USC and UGA. Again, JMO.

Yeah - LSU's two loses were in OT. Those were the least objectionable loses in the SEC with the possible exception of Florida - who lost to better teams, but lost 3 of them.

Next year -at this point - the only team that scares me is UGA. And that is because of their defense. They may have the best defense in the SEC since the 1998 Vols

I think that Florida, Georgia, and Auburn will have stronger teams than LSU. I wish that were not the case, and I hope LSU maintains their spot at the top.

But the fact remains that while we return a lot of talent, we have some gaps that need experience and some that will need both talent and experience. And Auburn and Florida are younger and will benefit next year from all of that youth.

Georgia will also continue to be strong - i don't see much of a fall off there at all.

So while I wouldn't be surprised that LSU takes the West, I think that Auburn begins the season as the favorite. And the year after that, I think Alabama will certainly be in the mix. And Arkansas with Petrino? Wildcard.

I definitely think the road is tougher the next couple of years - not saying this year has not been tough. But I just see a tougher Auburn, Florida, and Georgia team in the SEC with an improving Alabama and Arkansas. And Nutt at Ole Miss - he'll make them a stronger opponent than Big Ed, imo. No slouches or gimmes in the SEC.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom