It sure looks like Joe Burrow is heading back to Ohio... (1 Viewer)

Bill

Thirsty for more!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
... and it makes me sick. :covri:

I really hoped that he might have a good shot at winning in the NFL, but there's little chance that Cincinnati would pass on him when they get the coveted 1st draft pick next spring.

I know that Joe can't make the Bengals a winner all by himself, so I just hope someone in that franchise can build a decent team around him and give him a legitimate chance to win in the NFL.

As a Saints fan I selfishly approve. If he's out of the conference we only see him once every four years unless we both get to the Superbowl.

Besides Bengals are not a horrible franchise, but they do play it a tough division. They made the playoffs like 7 times in the last 10 years, but never won. Maybe Burrow would change that.

I find it ironic that he left Ohio, came to the Bayou Bengals, and may land with the Cincinnnatttiii Bengals.
Of course nothing here is written in stone, but if it does happen that Joe gets picked up by Cincinnati and helps turn that franchise around, I'm going to feel two incredible emotions: One is how great it would be for a kid to have his dream in his home state...
and Two... Why couldn't WE get him!?!? :mecry:

He will always bleed Purple n Gold...I hope he continues to get better and not get bit by the Heisman Jinx...
The Heisman Jinx is real and comes from the fact that most Heisman winner get picked up by NFL teams that are hopeless to make for a good career in the bigs. :(

Bill, it's not just Heisman winning QB's, it's also top-rated, legendary college football players who get drafted by struggling, meandering franchise's and teams seemingly with no direction and incompetent, stupid, inept owners like John Mecom or Dan Snyder. Of all the QB's in the celebrated NFL QB draft of 1971, IIRC only Archie never had a winning season, much less make the postseasons multiple times or play and win in a Super Bowl(Jim Plunkett and Joe Theismann).

Bill, it's not just Heisman winning QB's, it's also top-rated, legendary college football players who get drafted by struggling, meandering franchise's and teams seemingly with no direction and incompetent, stupid, inept owners like John Mecom or Dan Snyder. Of all the QB's in the celebrated NFL QB draft of 1971, IIRC only Archie never had a winning season, much less make the postseasons multiple times or play and win in a Super Bowl(Jim Plunkett and Joe Theismann).
Exactly.
It's very rare that those top picks ever end up on a great team. Some really good kids have made these 'sad sack' teams a little better, but few can turn around a floundering program without some commitment from management to find the right players and coaches to give the new kid a legitimate shot at winning.

Mark Ingram bucked that trend for sure.

So did Cam Newton after being drafted by Carolina in 1st round in 2011. He's been or was at least a MVP caliber QB and player for several seasons until essentially Super Bowl 50 exposed him for his game day mental and psychological limitations he had. Most football-saavy, observant fans on SR and elsewhere had seen glimpses of Cam's weaknesses before them, but he managed to cover it up or his excellent supporting cast bailed him out, but inside, I truly believe a fundamental, prime aspect in Newton cracked that night in Santa Clara in February 2016: whether it's his determination, self-confidence, his teammates confidence in him, his overall commitment, whatever it was, he was irrevocably damaged and the Panthers haven't been the same since. Even with a great dual-purpose RB Leveon Bell-clone in Christian McCaffrey making good defenses, like ours last week, look pretty pathetic and ineffective at times.

I think Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray will have good, maybe even great careers if their respective teams continue to draft or lure good, talented FA's to make them better.

I think Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray will have good, maybe even great careers if their respective teams continue to draft or lure good, talented FA's to make them better.
This^ is what I mean. So far Cleveland has made a valiant attempt to put some important upgrades around Mayfield to help turn the program around. The jury is still out on whether the Browns will climb completely out of their hole. I'm not sure how far Arizona still has to go to help Murray be a success with the Cardinals... but it's going to take more than hype to get either of these kids to the pinnacle of their profession.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom