It's a Wonderful Life (1 Viewer)

HoustonSaint68

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I've been musing over the last few days why I'm not more upset about coming to the conclusion in my own head that, through 13 games at least, I believe Mahomes truly deserves the MVP award over Drew Brees. I really did want it for him so badly to cement his place of greatness with his contemporaries Brady and Manning, and above Rodgers. So, I found it curious that I wasn't more bummed out about his falling behind in the MVP race.

But, I think the answer to my sangfroid lies in plain view during this very merry season: Drew is George-freakin-Bailey.

Sure, Brady's got the rings and a super model wife, Manning's got the commercials, and Rodgers' got everyone fooled. But Brees is like a George Bailey who stayed in Bedford Falls, married the best girl in town, and changed everyone's lives for the better -- but also invested in Sam's company early and is rolling in cash. Even if these last three games don't turn the MVP tide, once Drew and all his contemporaries are long retired he will get richer in all the things that really matter in life as each day passes. Hee-haw, indeed.

So, a toast: to our very own Drew, the richest man in town!

I think if Drew finishes the season with a First round Bye (at least 13-3 record)... Gets to 40 TDs and less than 5 Ints.... While maintaining about a 75% completion rate... he can still win MVP... all of those things are realistically attainable for Drew.

If he slips... Mahommes will take it.

If Drew wins the SuperBowl this year, he's going to be recognized as one of the best QBs of all time, which we all already know. If he doesn't win the MVP, it's just another record he breaks, 'Best QB to never win a MVP'. I'm OK with that. If he doesn't win it, it might make him hungrier in the SuperBowl and I'm definitely OK with that. As of now, I think Mahomes deserves it because with that defense... he's the one keeping them winning games.

... I've been musing over the last few days why I'm not more upset about coming to the conclusion in my own head that, through 13 games at least .....

So, a toast: to our very own Drew, the richest man in town!
Love this. I might, though, change my tagline to .... Drew Brees, the richest man in the NFL!

Yeah, it's funny how Drew is still seen as the underdog everyman despite all the usual trappings of what we define as "success". Only the NFL MVP eludes him.

Let's be candid, though. I think it -- along with the Pro Bowl -- has been rendered meaningless by giving it to lesser QBs Matt Ryan and Cam Newton because they had a "magical" year. What does Brees do? Well, all he does is continue to be consistently awesome -- not a consistent journeyman or game manager -- into the age of 40. No tearful "look at me but I didn't really mean it" retirement at age 39 only to reconsider six months later. So, give it to Mahomes for his "magical year" and leave him and the aforementioned QBs without rings. With his style, he'll soon be matching int's with TDs.

No, to continue to deny Drew says more about the NFL than it does about Drew. He is the MVP on the Saints and has been consistently since 2006 while also being MVP to his family. Adding NFL MVP doesn't make his career or life more complete than it already is.

So I guess Steve Sarkisian is the drunk version of Mr. Martini then?

Does this make Sean Payton Clarence? Roger Goodell can be Mr. Potter, always trying to get his grubby hands on the Benson Building and Loan.

I like Goodell as Potter, but not sure about CSP as Clarence. Clarence was too simple-minded. No way Clarence calls for an onside kick in the Super Bowl.

Let's be candid, though. I think it -- along with the Pro Bowl -- has been rendered meaningless by giving it to lesser QBs Matt Ryan and Cam Newton because they had a "magical" year.

Exactly.

I almost hope he doesn't win it because it such a joke that Cam and Marty Ice actually won the thing and he has not that I want to keep that ridiculous imbalance intact as proof that the award isnt worthy of respect anymore (if it ever was - Rich Gannon anyone?)

It's like winning an ESPY at this point.

Was Tom Benson Mr. Gower?

“Every man on that transport died. Harry wasn’t there to save them because you weren’t there to save Harry.”

I love that movie.

Does this make Sean Payton Clarence? Roger Goodell can be Mr. Potter, always trying to get his grubby hands on the Benson Building and Loan.
CSP is Peter Bailey, George's father.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom