it's bracket time ! (1 Viewer)

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Baylor was far and away the best college basketball team I've seen in a long, long time....

faceman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Baylor was far and away the best college basketball team I've seen in a long, long time....
A friend of mine at work predicted an upset. He follows the college game closely. He said Gonzaga had trouble against teams with great guard play. That was obvious last night

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
A friend of mine at work predicted an upset. He follows the college game closely. He said Gonzaga had trouble against teams with great guard play. That was obvious last night
I thought going in that Baylor would win easily. Gonzaga is a good team, no question but Baylor is so deep and you can't stop those 3 guards. The thing I love about those guards is they all have markedly different skill sets and they know their roles so well....I was kind of shocked Gonzaga was favored....

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks y'all - I think the real March Madness was the friends we made along the way.

I had a good bracket this year. I think I started doing these in high school (or even Jr. High), and I'm pretty sure I have done at least one every year. Most of the time you end up in the middle, but every now and then you get lucky and your sheet looks pretty good.

saintmdterps

If we give ya the boogie, can ya handle it?
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Gonzaga now joins the 1979 Indiana St. team led by Larry Bird to go undefeated and lose the title game.
The win over UCLA took the gas out of Gonzaga. They fell behind quickly to a better rested team who did not have to fight tooth and nail on Saturday and had the benefit of playing the first Final Four game.

saintmdterps

VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
grant hill was the star of duke. he didn't get his glamour and fame until the next year, but he was easily the best player. laettner was forced upon fans.

i mean, seriously. laettner over shaq for the dream team? you can't argue that wasn't scripted. it is possibly worse than zeke being shafted over drexler.
Laettner also had the distinction of quite possibly being the most-hated player in ACC history. Given the vast array of hateable Dookies, that's quite an accomplishment.

Last edited:

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The win over UCLA took the gas out of Gonzaga. They fell behind quickly to a better rested team who did not have to fight tooth and nail on Saturday and had the benefit of playing the first Final Four game.
I'm not that sure rest had that much to do with it, I doubt five extra game minutes and a few hours on the clock for start time makes that much of a difference for 20 year olds. But certainly the emotional drain of the intense OT game with with UCLA probably played a part.

But I don't think it can be understated how well Baylor played, especially in the first half. With the exception of about five minutes when Zags made a mini-run in that first half, Baylor was executing nearly flawlessly on both ends and making just about everything they took.

Perhaps the drain from the UCLA game put Gonzaga a bit flat at the opening and Baylor was just so damn good, it became insurmountable. But Baylor dominated a very good Houston team as well. I think the best explanation is that Baylor was just better than Gonzaga no matter the circumstances.

saintmdterps

VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not that sure rest had that much to do with it, I doubt five extra game minutes and a few hours on the clock for start time makes that much of a difference for 20 year olds. But certainly the emotional drain of the intense OT game with with UCLA probably played a part.

But I don't think it can be understated how well Baylor played, especially in the first half. With the exception of about five minutes when Zags made a mini-run in that first half, Baylor was executing nearly flawlessly on both ends and making just about everything they took.

Perhaps the drain from the UCLA game put Gonzaga a bit flat at the opening and Baylor was just so damn good, it became insurmountable. But Baylor dominated a very good Houston team as well. I think the best explanation is that Baylor was just better than Gonzaga no matter the circumstances.
Oh, no doubt. I think Baylor would have beaten a well-rested Gonzaga team. Baylor deserved the win.

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Gonzaga now joins the 1979 Indiana St. team led by Larry Bird to go undefeated and lose the title game.
The 1979 NC game was one for the ages, not the game itself per se, as it wasn't close but the rivalry it set up between Bird and Magic. I'm of the opinion that this rivalry pretty much saved a floundering NBA....

Had completely forgotten this was going on
- no fish were biting this morning but we did see a 3-4 ft gator so that was a win for the oldest
I would almost always rather be fishing, hope you guys get some fish....

My son agrees with you, but I really believe Baylor would beat Gonzaga regardless, to me there is no doubt they were the better team....I can jibe with the argument that it could have been closer though had Gonzaga won in regulation....

faceman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
The 1979 NC game was one for the ages, not the game itself per se, as it wasn't close but the rivalry it set up between Bird and Magic. I'm of the opinion that this rivalry pretty much saved a floundering NBA....
You have to be our age to remember this. Before Bird and Magic joined the NBA, the finals were on tape delay. When they joined it became must see TV . The 84 finals was the best basketball I've ever seen. Bird carried that team on his back. DJ's defense against the Lakers guards was also legend

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
You have to be our age to remember this. Before Bird and Magic joined the NBA, the finals were on tape delay. When they joined it became must see TV . The 84 finals was the best basketball I've ever seen. Bird carried that team on his back. DJ's defense against the Lakers guards was also legend
I remember watching one of the games at some bar near Canal St. (it may have been Ro-Bears?), most people were shocked that the Celtics were able to keep up with them scoring wise much less beat them in the series...I think this is one of those were you don't really realize how great the basketball was until much later....it was such a different game back then....

faceman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I remember watching one of the games at some bar near Canal St. (it may have been Ro-Bears?), most people were shocked that the Celtics were able to keep up with them scoring wise much less beat them in the series...I think this is one of those were you don't really realize how great the basketball was until much later....it was such a different game back then....

The series turned when Mchale closelined Kurt Rambis. The Celtics basically said you aren't getting any easy fast break points. This was beautiful basketball.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom