It's going to be sloppy - just chill and be happy we have football (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Football is here! I can't think of any more anticipated football season in our lifetimes, just because it is bringing some sense of normality in what has been a whackadoodle year for all of us.

The first month or so of any NFL season (at least since the turn of the century) is sloppy. Starting players don't have that many game reps. Practice reps are fewer than they used to be an many veterans try to avoid much real activity in the camp and preseason. Every year we see a product in September that looks nothing like what we will see by the end of the year. And this year is going to be even worse. No pre-season games. No off-season activities. Limited camp activities. We can expect the first month or even six weeks to be very sloppy. Players of all experience levels are going to make mistakes. Some, at times, are likely to look "out of it" or make truly boneheaded plays. I think we all have to be prepared for this and keep perspective: in May or even June, nobody really knew if we would even get to this opening day.

Before we throw stuff in our living rooms or come here to post what a bum X player is and we never should have signed him, pause and remember that these guys haven't played a snap of real football since January. Execution will likely be messy, but it will get better and all teams are going through the same thing.

Everybody just be cool.

St.Dan

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Expect some notable injuries in Week 1 due to the nontraditional offseason. I do hope our team's relative familiarity with one another outweighs Tampa's mishmash of Dream Teamers' just now practicing together.

Meachemdat

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Also important to remember that all signs point to this being Drew's last season.
I'm going to try to sit back and enjoy watching the GOAT do his magic one last time.

Anybody that follows the game-day board knows I whine a lot, but I'm going to try and take this season in stride and not get so bent out of shape when things don't go our way.

I'm just happy we have football back.

rail

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Huge thumb up - if for nothing else, the perfect Scarface gif.

JvilleJoe

Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I have been thinking the same thing for some time. No off season, no pre season, and minimal practice reps, plus little hitting, will probably lead to a real sloppy and turnover filled opener. The first few weeks should be much the same. I am, however, counting on the continuity of the Saints to play less mistake free football and hopefully pile up some wins in a row.

Saint Spud

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Agree completely. I just wish we weren’t starting with such an important game. And being forced to play it at home without fans, no less.

Hopefully we’re the less sloppy team Sunday. But lots of season left after this one regardless.

CowtownSaint

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
Also important to remember that all signs point to this being Drew's last season.
I'm going to try to sit back and enjoy watching the GOAT do his magic one last time.

Anybody that follows the game-day board knows I whine a lot, but I'm going to try and take this season in stride and not get so bent out of shape when things don't go our way.

I'm just happy we have football back.
I am with you on this. There is going to be a lot more taking it in this year for me as well.

Super44

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Football is here! I can't think of any more anticipated football season in our lifetimes, just because it is bringing some sense of normality in what has been a whackadoodle year for all of us.

The first month or so of any NFL season (at least since the turn of the century) is sloppy. Starting players don't have that many game reps. Practice reps are fewer than they used to be an many veterans try to avoid much real activity in the camp and preseason. Every year we see a product in September that looks nothing like what we will see by the end of the year. And this year is going to be even worse. No pre-season games. No off-season activities. Limited camp activities. We can expect the first month or even six weeks to be very sloppy. Players of all experience levels are going to make mistakes. Some, at times, are likely to look "out of it" or make truly boneheaded plays. I think we all have to be prepared for this and keep perspective: in May or even June, nobody really knew if we would even get to this opening day.

Before we throw stuff in our living rooms or come here to post what a bum X player is and we never should have signed him, pause and remember that these guys haven't played a snap of real football since January. Execution will likely be messy, but it will get better and all teams are going through the same thing.

Everybody just be cool.

I don’t have to chill. I do not watch games without the Saints, nor do I care for watching any sports, outside of golf. Enjoy your games, as they may be and while you can.

And I think you, with others, are going to be disappointed with the viewer ratings.

Reaction score
I just want to see motivation, determination, and each player giving their best effort. If someone makes a mistake, I want to see someone else make a play to offset it. I think this is the most talented team we've ever had. If all these guys play for and look out for each other, we will be fine, and it should be a very exiting season.

OP
superchuck500

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don’t have to chill. I do not watch games without the Saints, nor do I care for watching any sports, outside of golf. Enjoy your games, as they may be and while you can.

And I think you, with others, are going to be disappointed with the viewer ratings.
I think it's pretty obvious that I was talking about the Saints.

And why would I be disappointed with viewer ratings? I don't really have an interest in NFL viewership or ratings. In fact, the only people I ever hear speak about viewer ratings (outside of those in the biz) are those people who seem to want them to be low because it serves some agenda they have (something about wanting those who take a view point that is different from theirs to fail or suffer).

Ratings are down all over the place - the Kentucky Derby viewership was down 46% and I'm pretty sure none of the horses kneeled for the anthem.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom