It's not just on here, clearly we're not passing the sexy test to the nation this season (1 Viewer)

Saintsphere

1 day I'll add a second Lombardi to my pic. 1 day.
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Last year we were the sexy team. Explosive offense early on, blowout wins...

Not so much this year. We've won three straight and yet many still aren't impressed with us. The old saying "it's better to win ugly than lose pretty" doesn't seem to be followed currently by many fans and analysts.

Case in point, the NFL.com power rankings have us behind Seattle AND SF. Mind you, we've beat Seattle in Seattle without Drew AND the 49ers have lost two games during our current three game win stretch.

ESPN.com's power rankings somehow have SF in front us and Seattle, but us in front Seattle.

This is not a thread to complain. This is simply an observation. The 49ers are the sexy team this season. And they deserve their props. Blowout wins can do a lot to sway a fan/analyst. They had dominant performances for a nationwide audience vs CAR and GB. We've yet to have that one complete game. Because of this, when the 49ers nearly let ARZ comeback vs them the first game they played or needed a comeback to beat Arizona the second game, it's not seen as a knock. When the 49ers beat the Redskins 3-0, they are looked at as a team that can win no matter what. Us? We're simply not that sexy a team to people as last year. "Been there done that". "Yeah that girl is still cute but did you see the new freshman student who just arrived on campus...wow is she hot!"

If the 49ers had the same performance we did vs the Falcons Thanksgiving against the Cardinals, the conversation would be on their 9 sacks and how dominant the defense is no matter what position they are put in and how Nick Bosa (Cam) is the best defensive player in the NFL. We do it and it's..."man, last year the Saints were blowing teams out. Now they look average."

It's the "price to pay" with sustained success. There will always be a new, sexier team that comes around. Hopefully, we do like the Patriots, and just stack up wins, style points be damned. And keep on winning all the way until February.

OP
OP
Saintsphere

Saintsphere

Reaction score
I mean...analyst opinions don't matter...just wins. BUT, last night on TV when they were discussing who are the best teams in the league...SF, Ravens, Bills, Packers, and Seattle were all discussed at length without a peep about the Saints...who at that moment were the actual #1 seed above all but one of them. I think if we had emerged from the Bridgewater period and showed up as dominant, folks would gladly have more faith in us. After all, we were a sexy superbowl pick the last couple years. Everyone agrees that our defense is playing well and Thomas is on another level, but there's something missing in the eye test. Part of the discussion was that all of these teams have a strong run game, and subjectively I don't think we've shown that consistently. I see it in certain games, but the AK/Murray combo should make their presence felt in every game unless we're trying to climb back and have to air it out. I mean heck...let Taysom run it more too.
I noticed yesterday the lack of Saints mentions too. Whenever they showed the seedings it was more focused solely on Seattle jumping up to 2 and SF falling to 5, and not one mention about "Oh hey! The Saints are now #1 because they beat Seattle this season. The Superdome is quite an X factor should they hold on to that spot."

I'm sure a win Sunday will put us back at the forefront. An "Oh yeah! We forgot the Saints can be really good too!" game. But I just want to go on our run in Jan/Feb. No matter how we get there.

blackadder

...from a chicken, bugwit
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
We haven't been sexy since the bye.

Other than the Tampa game we've played sloppy/dink and dunk. We've made it easy on the refs to slow us down.

Maybe just an abberation but to get sexy again we need to be better than we've shown lately against poor to mediocre teams.

The bar is already higher for the Saints to get attention, anyway. Whatever the case, under the radar is fine by me.

blackadder

...from a chicken, bugwit
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I noticed yesterday the lack of Saints mentions too. Whenever they showed the seedings it was more focused solely on Seattle jumping up to 2 and SF falling to 5, and not one mention about "Oh hey! The Saints are now #1 because they beat Seattle this season. The Superdome is quite an X factor should they hold on to that spot."

I'm sure a win Sunday will put us back at the forefront. An "Oh yeah! We forgot the Saints can be really good too!" game. But I just want to go on our run in Jan/Feb. No matter how we get there.
Yeah, was odd they did not utter the word "Saints". Almost like there was a memo or something. All those times to discuss and the #1 seed not mentioned. Odd.

Winter

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
No doubt in my mind we would have beat LA had Brees not gone down that game. We should be sitting at 11-1. I think what people don't trust about this team is because of both Atlanta games and the Carolina game. We appear to be a team that has shown the tendency to relax. We were woefully unprepared and motivated for the first Atlanta game. Then in the other Atlanta and Carolina game, we relaxed and almost let those games get away from us. In comparison, look at the 49ers and their games. They haven't relaxed one iota this season. Their two losses were down to the wire on field goals. They went toe to toe with the clear cut hottest/best team in the league. So I can see the reason why people are more in favor of SF over the Saints. We've struggled with consistency and Payton's glaring mis-use of Murray since Brees returned has left speculation on what kind of Saints team will show up each week.

That being said, the one silver lining for me, is division rivals. These last 4 games have been against division opponents. SF's struggles against the Cards and Hawks were division rivals. The division is no easy feat for any team unless you're the Patriots. Look at how we beat Seattle this year, how SF destroyed Green Bay, or how the Vikings almost pulled out an upset in Seattle. Looking at these last few weeks of games to decide who's the favorite to win might not matter at all. I hope this is the case and makes everything I said above not matter.

RiverRat

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Take back the turnovers or drive stops taken away by ghost penalties and we would have the #1 defense along with our offensive snap count going up significantly. More snaps, more big plays. Plain and simple.

Other than that, we’ve had a higher percentage of drops this year. I think we’re far from ugly, just haven’t really clicked on all cylinders yet.

JvilleJoe

Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I mean...analyst opinions don't matter...just wins. BUT, last night on TV when they were discussing who are the best teams in the league...SF, Ravens, Bills, Packers, and Seattle were all discussed at length without a peep about the Saints...who at that moment were the actual #1 seed above all but one of them. I think if we had emerged from the Bridgewater period and showed up as dominant, folks would gladly have more faith in us. After all, we were a sexy superbowl pick the last couple years. Everyone agrees that our defense is playing well and Thomas is on another level, but there's something missing in the eye test. Part of the discussion was that all of these teams have a strong run game, and subjectively I don't think we've shown that consistently. I see it in certain games, but the AK/Murray combo should make their presence felt in every game unless we're trying to climb back and have to air it out. I mean heck...let Taysom run it more too.
None of these talking heads will matter much IF we take care of business on Sunday against the ninver.

dvdman

All-Pro
Reaction score
Yawn.....Niners have lost 2 of their last 3.
I don’t care who they played. It will 3 of 4 after Sunday.

Doug B

Fanaticus Sanctii
Reaction score
Whatever the case, under the radar is fine by me.
This is a good point. The Saints seem to play a lot better when they're not being propped up in the media.

Once everyone starts saying the Saints are #1 and are so awesome and will take down anyone they face ... that's when the cheese-eating has seemed to start. So it's a good thing that the Saints can be 10-2, and still underrated. Might help keep the team hungrier than they'd be if there were glowing press clippings and sound bites everywhere.

Noble Saint

Former NFL Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
What did being a sexy team get us in 2011, 2017, 2018?? I’m ok with getting back to pounding the rock all day like we were with Teddy and being ugly lol...
I agree. I want and hope everyone underestimates us. Just like 09. Every time we get put on a pedastal we get knocked off.

saint_drago

I Must Break You
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
In all fairness though, this year has been really ugly. Sure, we're tied for the best record in the NFL at 10-2 but our 10-2 isn't as sexy as the Ravens' or the Seahawks'. Compared to their 10-2 ours is like a 7-5.

But it's important to keep in mind that we're 10-2, NFC South Champs, and currently the top seed in the NFC. The Saints wrapped up the division with a month left with Teddy Bridgewater playing QB for several games.

OP
OP
Saintsphere

Saintsphere

Reaction score
In all fairness though, this year has been really ugly. Sure, we're tied for the best record in the NFL at 10-2 but our 10-2 isn't as sexy as the Ravens' or the Seahawks'. Compared to their 10-2 ours is like a 7-5.

But it's important to keep in mind that we're 10-2, NFC South Champs, and currently the top seed in the NFC. The Saints wrapped up the division with a month left with Teddy Bridgewater playing QB for several games.
I would have signed up for 10-6 and a playoff spot before the season, I kid you not (I wouldn't now because it'd mean we lost out lol).

It is so hard to have three straight seasons of top-notch success. Only the Patriots seem to sustain it. That's why I vouch this will go down as the greatest Saints era of our time.

But my stance this season has always been "Just get in the dance and find a way to win it all". Dominant, sexy seasons are fun. But scratch and claw seasons can be just as fun when you're hoisting that Lombardi in February.

gboudx

Not trusting a big butt and a smile since 1990.
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I honestly don't know why any of this matters. NFL power rankings were created to give the media something to blather on about. Unlike college football, the teams record and tiebreakers are all that matters for the postseason.

Maik Jeaunz

#1 SoCal Saints fan
Reaction score
I fully expect everyone except for Saints & Seahawks fans to say that we're gonna get smashed this Sunday. the only things they see are that we got stomped by the falcons and had trouble with the panthers. never mind anything else.

but you guys already know the drill...very rarely do the Saints get any acknowledgement. we're not one of the media darlings. so the only way to get the respect is to smash teams in the mouth and take it.

HouseCall

Resist, Ronald, resist!
Reaction score

The NFC has three division races that are neck and neck. The Saints wrapped up the South on Thanksgiving. I think it plays into the national narrative that the Saints aren't in a compelling division, so there isn't much to discuss in this final four weeks that have many of these division races coming down to head-to-head match-ups.

I don't focus on the national media -- they clearly don't watch a lot of Saints games anyway.

Look at the Vegas odds for the Super Bowl right now. The darling Ravens are the favorite at 3-1.

Looks who is sitting at #2... our Saints at 4-1.

So despite the lack of national coverage -- Vegas and all of their metrics and deep analytics, see us as the highest likely Super Bowl representative from the NFC.

However, I agree 100% - we beat the Niners Sunday -- you are going to be sick of hearing about us by next Tuesday.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom