Its Not Reggie's... (1 Viewer)

Also, quit blaming the line. They're not great, but they are not a bad group. You know how many RB's wish they had our passing game to back them up? Imagine if teams were stacking the line to stop the run, like many top backs in the league face.

The fact that you are equating our OL run blocking to our passing game makes me wonder why I'm responding to your post.

None of our Linemen seal blocks well to create a hole. I don't care if there's only 6 men in the box on defense, if our OL can't win there man to man matchups our prolific passing game means nothing.

The fact that you are equating our OL run blocking to our passing game makes me wonder why I'm responding to your post.

None of our Linemen seal blocks well to create a hole. I don't care if there's only 6 men in the box on defense, if our OL can't win there man to man matchups our prolific passing game means nothing.

The fact that you are making a weak attempt to call out my football knowledge makes me wonder why I responding to yours. I wasn't equating run blocking to our passing game. First 2 sentences, I commented on how our line is not that bad. The next 2 sentences, I commented on how defenses can't stack the line due to our passing game. I didnt equate the 2 anywhere, 2 separate things. In summary, 1) our line isnt that bad, 2) our passing game does not allow defense's to play 8 in the box. Why do you think we havent been able to get deep much this year?

The fact that you are making a weak attempt to call out my football knowledge makes me wonder why I responding to yours. I wasn't equating run blocking to our passing game. First 2 sentences, I commented on how our line is not that bad. The next 2 sentences, I commented on how defenses can't stack the line due to our passing game. I didnt equate the 2 anywhere, 2 separate things. In summary, 1) our line isnt that bad, 2) our passing game does not allow defense's to play 8 in the box. Why do you think we havent been able to get deep much this year?

The only time we have spread the field this year is when we are in 2 minute drills or no huddles. Their have been plenty times we have seen 8 in the box, including today.

As far as not going deep, that is directly related to Devery's ineptness and Faine's lack of effectiveness to stop a pass rush up the middle forcing Brees to throw dumpoffs.

I don't know about the blocking, there was one play early on where Bush had a GIGANTIC hole to run through. Instead of sprinting through it and taking off he danced around and got run down by a LB. He has to shoulder some of the blame for his poor running performance.

The only time we have spread the field this year is when we are in 2 minute drills or no huddles. Their have been plenty times we have seen 8 in the box, including today.

As far as not going deep, that is directly related to Devery's ineptness and Faine's lack of effectiveness to stop a pass rush up the middle forcing Brees to throw dumpoffs.

Devery's ineptness or Faine have nothing to do w/ our inability to get deep this year. We went deep successfully last year with these same players. The problem is extremely simple. We cant go over the top because defenses are playing us w/ variations of deep zones. Our receivers are being forced to cut off their routes because of this. The reason they are comfortable playing deep zones against us is that they do not have to put an extra man in the box to stop the run. Why is that? - No Deuce, and we are w/out an adequate replacement. Its simple as that.

Devery's ineptness or Faine have nothing to do w/ our inability to get deep this year. We went deep successfully last year with these same players. The problem is extremely simple. We cant go over the top because defenses are playing us w/ variations of deep zones. Our receivers are being forced to cut off their routes because of this. The reason they are comfortable playing deep zones against us is that they do not have to put an extra man in the box to stop the run. Why is that? - No Deuce, and we are w/out an adequate replacement. Its simple as that.

You really don't have a clue. When Reggie is the lone setback teams are leaving 8 men in the box to stop the run and pickup Reggie out of the back field. Our O-lines run blocking is horrible so constant push by opposing defenses line and extra man in the box= a chance in hell that Reggie has a chance to get to the second level. Last year when Deuce was the single back with reggie split out wide teams were not able to leave the extra man in the box and that is the only formation we would have success with running the football. I remember last year always saying that we need to have Deuce and Bush on the field at the same time because thats the only time I saw room to run. I think are only option to have a successful running game is to employ the same tactics and have Stecker/Thomas in the game at the same time as Bush. What I have a problem with is people saying Reggie can not be a full time back. Reggie could easily be a full time back if the O-line could open up holes. Look at todays results...

Stecker rushing the ball with Reggie Bush split out wide=
6 rushes for 28 yards

Stecker rushing the ball with Reggie Bush not in the game=
7 rushes for 14 yards

We see the same pattern as last year, Reggie used as a decoy is our best chance for a running game. Maybe this off season we can get rid of the 3 career backups that are starting on our O-line and replace them with quality starting offensive lineman. That way we will not be wasting 60 million on Reggie as a decoy and the O-line might give him a chance to get to the second level.

You really don't have a clue. When Reggie is the lone setback teams are leaving 8 men in the box to stop the run and pickup Reggie out of the back field. Our O-lines run blocking is horrible so constant push by opposing defenses line and extra man in the box= a chance in hell that Reggie has a chance to get to the second level. Last year when Deuce was the single back with reggie split out wide teams were not able to leave the extra man in the box and that is the only formation we would have success with running the football. I remember last year always saying that we need to have Deuce and Bush on the field at the same time because thats the only time I saw room to run. I think are only option to have a successful running game is to employ the same tactics and have Stecker/Thomas in the game at the same time as Bush. What I have a problem with is people saying Reggie can not be a full time back. Reggie could easily be a full time back if the O-line could open up holes. Look at todays results...

6 rushes for 28 yards

7 rushes for 14 yards

We see the same pattern as last year, Reggie used as a decoy is our best chance for a running game. Maybe this off season we can get rid of the 3 career backups that are starting on our O-line and replace them with quality starting offensive lineman. That way we will not be wasting 60 million on Reggie as a decoy and the O-line might give him a chance to get to the second level.

Very informative post and all good points!:9:

If Reggie best serves us as a decoy right now than that's what we should do. I'll take a 31-6 Win every game!

6 rushes for 28 yards

7 rushes for 14 yards

The Oline is average, not horrible. Same crew as last year. Average Backs + Average Oline = Average Running Game. Reggie Bush is not seeing many 8 man fronts. When he does see 8 man fronts, its not because of Reggie Bush; its because our formation is dictating the defensive set. No matter who is in the backfield, you'll see that defense.(Such as 2 tight end, 1 receivers, etc. Defenses are not keeping the 8th man in the box, regardless, specifically to stop Reggie Bush's and his vaunted attack from the RB position. The safety may cheat up some when he is the lone setback, but he is not up in the linebacker's level. To beat the Saints, you have to pressure Brees to disrupt the passing game. Thats what defensive should be focusing on their defensive help on, not bottling Bush's runs up. He'll do that himself.

And about splitting Reggie out to open things up for Deuce, thats BS - Deuce was a probowler and stud long before Bush was serving as a "decoy" in order to "allow" Deuce to be successful.

Reggie Bush has not given us any indication that he can be a full time back in this league. What he has shown is the following:
1) Solid 3rd down back
2) Nice change of pace
3) Inability to break tackles
4) Poor Vision
5) Alot of wasted movement going through the hole.
6) Inability to break the long run
7) Average kick returner

There is going to come a point in time, fairly soon, where the excuses are going to have to stop. Potential is nothing; Production is everything.

9 in the box basically means that there are 9 defenders up near the line of scrimmage, which makes it very hard for the runningback to find any holes to run through because the offense is outmanned in the running lanes.

Aww,ok thanks.Yeah I guess it would be hard to make anything out of that when it's 9 in the box.But he was doing what he was told to do but he still got a first down out of it with 9 in the box.

The 2 biggest holes on the O-line are Faine and Stinchcomb... with Nesbit coming in at a close 3rd.

Faine just isn't strong or powerful enough... it's as simple as that. Same goes for Stinch, only he's doesn't have quick feet either.

The 2 biggest holes on the O-line are Faine and Stinchcomb... with Nesbit coming in at a close 3rd.

Faine just isn't strong or powerful enough... it's as simple as that. Same goes for Stinch, only he's doesn't have quick feet either.

Faine has always been known for having short arms and i think thta puts him at a disadvantage against bigger stronger lineman, because they can in on him quicker and control him with leverage. i also think Nesbit is clearly our 2nd worst lineman. it often looks to slow when pulling and just doesn't generate enough drive in the running game. Stinchcomb had his troubles earlier, but has since been playing better and because Evans plays next to him the Saints often get most of their success in the running game behing those 2.

i also think the offense looked so much better when Goody was in there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom