It's not the defense fella's (1 Viewer)

rlemieux

Who Dat?
Reaction score
Don't jump out and blame the defense. The defense is not the problem (though its obviously not the solution). Granted this isn't the Baltimore/Chicago defense that can actually go out and create points, however this defense is very capable of being average (and with a high scoring offense thats all you need to get by). I am not saying this defense is perfect, far from it, but its not the reason we are losing games.

Ask yourself: What is the same in every game we have lost (especially the Baltimore/Pittsburgh/Cinci games). Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers.

The defense is not good enough to win games for us, but its also not so horrible it will blow games either. The offense has put this team in some really bad positions, allowing teams to tee off. Plain and simple, we don't turn the ball over we win. Put the 6-4 record on the offense and the turnovers.

Like I said, this defense isn't good enough to pick up the offenses slack, however without the turn overs and early leads this defense can be fairly effective (and with a good offense thats all you really need).

I agree 99% with you. There has been one other big factor in three of the four losses and that is BIG fourth quarter plays given up by the defense.

Carolina scored 14 in the 4th
Pittsburgh scored 14 in the 4th
Cincinnati scored 14 in the 4th (on the defense)

Yep no doubt about it.... I really thought this week we would of had a better time protecting the ball after the Turnovers lost us the game last week, instead we went out and turned over even more.... I beginning to wonder if we can even protect the football at all anymore. Turnovers are this teams doom, and at this point after todays game i don't see it changing.

I agree 99% with you. There has been one other big factor in three of the four losses and that is BIG fourth quarter plays given up by the defense.

Carolina scored 14 in the 4th
Pittsburgh scored 14 in the 4th
Cincinnati scored 14 in the 4th (on the defense)

Defense cannot finish at the end of games

The only real problem that they have is the Fred Thomas and Jason Craft... and the TURNOVERS.. if we would not turn it over we would easily be 8-2

The odds are EXTREMELY poor that a team with more turnovers than takeaways will be a winner.

This stat needs to change quickly if we are to get back on track.

Certainly the turnovers.......On defense everyone in our section wanted to cover our eyes everytime Chad Johnson would line up against Fred Thomas.

Turnovers are the key to defeats.....but the defense is clearly the weaker side of the ball. If the offense can take care of the football, the defense can keep the team in the game.

Our defense does not force turnovers either. To be a really good defense, you have to be able to create plays.....not just play solid ball. Our defense overacheived the first half of the year.....we are probably closer to what our "real" defense is now than in game 2 or 3.

The only real issue I have with the defense is that they need to cause more turnovers.. They need to help themselves out as much as the offense needs to help them by not turning the ball over.. We might not have a great defense, but they should be able to get a turnover or two a game.. We got one this game but were done in by the ones by our offense.. 2 picks in the red zone and another pick returned for a TD.. That more than accounts for the difference in the game..

Turnovers are the key to defeats.....but the defense is clearly the weaker side of the ball. If the offense can take care of the football, the defense can keep the team in the game.

Our defense does not force turnovers either. To be a really good defense, you have to be able to create plays.....not just play solid ball. Our defense overacheived the first half of the year.....we are probably closer to what our "real" defense is now than in game 2 or 3.

Our defense has been pretty much the same all year, however the difference has been the offense and ball control. Even at 3-0 our defense wasn't going out there creating plays, however our offense was taking care of their side of the deal also.

There is a reason everyone is scoring on us in the 4th quarter. We held the Bengals to 10 points until the 4th quarter. If our offense goes out there, controls the clock and puts points on the board our defense is on the sideline resting (and the Bengals offense is not putting points on the board). There is only so much this defense can do, holding a very good Cinci team to 10 points dispite some key turnovers isn't horrible. However if your offense keeps going 3 and out, turning the ball over, etc. the defense is going to wear down and you are going to see points start to come after the 4th quarter (its the fact of football).

Look at srenner's post. It's not the defense isn't finishing, its the offense putting the defense in bad positions, keeping them on the field too long and allowing the opposing offense more opportunities then they should.

Defense is not the problem, turnovers are.

Not the defense?? Which game were you watching? Even if the ball is turned over the defense's job is to stop the other team from scoring. Two turnovers in the end zone didn't help, however those weren't short passes that Chad Johnson caught. I think Fred Thomas and J. Bullocks were both embarrassed in the Superdome. I think they should repay Benson for this week.

You can really qualify it for all four games that we lost. Don't forget in the Carolina game: Reggie's fumble around the 20, Carney's missed FG(which I count as a turnover) and the botched call on Keyshawn that would have made it fourth down and a FG try instead of a TD.

ill agree with you somewhat, yse the turnovers are killing us. but man those big plays the d is giving up and the d not getting any turnovers, come on.
cincy came out im sure saying we are going to put chad on this guy or that guy. wow just the past 2 games have been atrocious.
at pitt. we were still in the game yes those turnovers killed us but come on those 2 long and i mean way long runs. one ill give you maybe but not two like that.
c johnson, burnt us big time. its not just the turnovers its the d also

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom