It's now a 3 game Trend, our Offense has struggled.... Defense has thrived... (1 Viewer)

Yes it seems that we got predictable on early downs to go along with the penalties. Both our FG drives I thought we moved the ball well and were about to unload. It just didn’t happen. I also think Ingram should have got the ball more early, I didn’t like kamara early runs but a fire went off in him late.

In addition to what Bonchie said:

I think people forget how badly we struggled towards the end of ‘09. Needed some huge lucky breaks to beat Washington, Almost lost to Chris Redman in Atlanta, then lost three straight.

These are the ebbs and flows of the season. I feel like last night was similar to the Chris Redman game where we needed a stop at the end to beat a divisional opponent on the road. I feel like the Tampa game was like that Washington game with some special teams gaffes on their end and a few big plays changed it.

Bottom line: we are much better in the dome. We will be that much better if TA comes back and we can run left. We will be even better still if Ginn comes back and we can stretch the field again. Those two players aren’t just starters, they literally take pages from our playbook with them.

Rest, rest, rest. Survival is what we need at this point. Just survive the Steelers game Sunday with a win and then REST!

Remember 2009...our offense ran out of gas the final 2 weeks too (the game vs Carolina doesn't count). We got two weeks off before the Cardinals game and BAM, all systems were ago after that.

Our offense has legit flaws but we have to trust in Payton and Brees to deliver when it will matter, and rest and home field advantage will be a huge, huge help.

Optimistic me is thinking that the O is struggling because there is 14 games worth of tape on our tendencies and CSP doesn't want to break from those tendencies because he's saving the break for the playoffs.

Pessimistic me is thinking that the opposing defenses are no longer concerned about our WRs running routes longer than 25 yards because well...

Another reason for dumbing down defense is the inexperience of the WRs and TEs. Payton can’t go too deep in his adjustments from what they worked on during the week because those guys may not have mastered the whole playbook

Unless the Saints get dominated by Pittsburgh in the dome, I'm not worried. To the contrary, I think that game will see Drew throw for 4 or 5 TD's and make a push for MVP once again.

OP- Yeah, At first I was feeling frustrated by the offense's poor starts. But, on reflection, I remember so many teams that had bad periods but still won their 'bad' games. I'm glad to see it's the Saints who find a way to win, even when they're not at their best. That 'winning ugly' badge still comes with a 'W'.

And this is why I do not feel any sorrow for the 2011 Saints.

Did anyone here seriously trust the 2011 defense?

Offenses struggle. It happens. No dominant offense has ever fully throttled teams every game. Even the greatest offenses struggle. Remember those Colts offenses in Peyton Manning's prime? They had games too where they couldn't do anything. The 2013 Broncos come to mind, same for the GSOT Rams (who got held to 11 points in the NFC title game and were stuck at 16 points for most of the SB, then only scored 17 points in the 2001 SB). Even the old 49ers had games where their offenses struggled.

Defense is more important than anything. this team has a defense that is bailing them out. You can't just outgun your opponent every game.

This is the best Saints team we've had since 2009. If they don't win the SB this year, we're going to be pretty sad. They have something the 2011 team didn't have - a defense!

I'll be majorly concerned if we can't get going against the Steelers. They give up the pass on the road, we're at home for the first time in about a month now. There's no good reason we shouldn't be firing on all cylinders and producing more on offense. THEN you can call me and say we're in deep trouble. Otherwise, I'm attributing this more to the road stretch we just went through.

I usually don't start threads... But I fell like this topic needs it's own thread....

This is now not an "aberration"... not some "fluke".....

We now have a 3 game sample, our offense can't move the ball unless it's in the hands of Kamara, Thomas or Ingram. And when the opposing team can limit those 3 guys.... Bress has nowhere to go with the ball.

On top of that, the O-Line has been falling apart around Drew, making matters worse, and also leading to penalties.

I'm not sure what we can do at this point to fix it... I think getting Ginn back at some point can help.... and I'm not sure how healthy Armstead will actually be if and when he comes back.

At this point color me very concerned with our offense (seems weird to say really)

Our defense, on the other hand. has been the exact opposite... all three levels are now playing together and making plays in the run game, pass game, and creating turnovers. And it's not just the guys we expect. It's Apple, PJ, Klein, Bell, David O, etc. The entire defense has picked it up across the board.

Thank goodness... because without the defense... I think we are cooked until we can get the issues on the offense worked out.

(that still seems weird to say)

Anyway... I may start drinking earlier in the pre-game if the issues don't get worked out... not sure how much I can take watching Drew run for his life or read the defense 3 times and throw it at a covered WRs feet.
Three road games in a row. The end.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom