It's official A.D. to Lakers [MERGED] (1 Viewer)

I don't follow the NBA very closely, so let this neophyte know if I have this incorrect. From what I have read, the Pels got a helluva deal with the trade of AD. And the Lakers plan to make a run at the playoffs with essentially 2 players. What's to stop AD from entering free agency at the end of next season if he figures going to LA was a complete mistake?

EDIT: Widge beat me to it.

Also, Davis’ people have said he will not sign the one year extension or a new deal this year. He will test free agency next year. It probably won’t happen, but it would be hilarious if AD decided to sign somewhere else like Golden State, Boston, or the Knicks after next year.
By not signing this year it gives the Lakers more cap space for this year and an opportunity to sign another big priced free agent. I think after being with the Lakers for a year they would be able to offer AD more money next year than any other team similar to the way the Pelicans was the only team that could offer AD more money on a contract extension. It's just the way they do business in the NBA. Lebron is controlling everything AD does for the benefit of Lebron.

By not signing this year it gives the Lakers more cap space for this year and an opportunity to sign another big priced free agent. I think after being with the Lakers for a year they would be able to offer AD more money next year than any other team similar to the way the Pelicans was the only team that could offer AD more money on a contract extension. It's just the way they do business in the NBA. Lebron is controlling everything AD does for the benefit of Lebron.

Well, apparently the deal will be done on July 6 so the Lakers won't have enough for another max contract. They would if it were done on July 30, but apparently the Pelicans said no to that. I wonder if they can get something else to move back the date.

I'm no NBA cap expert, but I think once he is on their team, they can offer him the Super Max contract. I don't think it makes a difference how long he is on the team once they have his rights. But, I could be wrong.

As far as Davis doing this to help the Lakers, I doubt that. Why would he sacrifice money to give them more cap space? We already know he won't be refusing his $4 million trade bonus to give the Lakers more cap space and players don't generally give up money to help a team's cap, especially not in the NBA which doesn't really have a hard cap. Agents don't like that and nor would the NBAPA. I think he is doing what he should do, keep his options open. If LeBron has a season ending injury, declines because of age, hates LA, or he doesn't feel they will properly build, then he has the option to leave and go to a more attractive place.

Imagine this scenario and tell me it doesn't make you smile just a little. Gayle, Gentry and Griffen have been meeting over the last month or so and have concocted a plan that involves trading AD to LA, he tests free agency and then resigns with the Pelicans. Would go down as the dirtiest deal in all of sports ever LMAO

Imagine this scenario and tell me it doesn't make you smile just a little. Gayle, Gentry and Griffen have been meeting over the last month or so and have concocted a plan that involves trading AD to LA, he tests free agency and then resigns with the Pelicans. Would go down as the dirtiest deal in all of sports ever LMAO
That would be a ballsy move by 3G.

D9NPWIFU0AArIr3

Demps didn't have picks to misuse. He always traded them away. Griffin knows what he's doing.

Well to be frank this team doesn't have the luxury of waiting on multiple draft picks to develop. Or else Zion will copy what Anthony Davis just did in about 6 years.

Well to be frank this team doesn't have the luxury of waiting on multiple draft picks to develop. Or else Zion will copy what Anthony Davis just did in about 6 years.
They can't afford to NOT develop through the draft. This is why the Pels are in this mess. Next time they won't have Pelinka to take advantage of.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom