It's official A.D. to Lakers [MERGED] (3 Viewers)

Well to be frank this team doesn't have the luxury of waiting on multiple draft picks to develop. Or else Zion will copy what Anthony Davis just did in about 6 years.

I disagree we tried the other way with Davis and it failed miserably. We loaded up with veterans and killed our flexibility to "win now" and keep Davis happy. I think the finding young players for Zion to grow and win with is a better strategy .

Also, before anyone annoints the Lakers as favorites for anything, remember that their roster currently consists of an aging LeBron, an oft injured AD and five other dudes.

Someone pointed out when the Lakers traded for Dwight Howard he was 26 and Kobe was 34.

Anthony Davis is 26 and Lebron James is...34.

That year they went 45-37 and made the playoffs by two games. They were swept in the first round. The next year they went 27-55 then 21-61. Picking 7th and then 2nd for three years in a row.

The Pelicans currently have the #3 pick of the ‘15 draft(Okafor), the #2 from ‘16(Ingram), the #2 from ‘17(Ball) and are soon to have the #1 and #4(if not traded) from the ‘19 draft.

If Randle had stuck around the #7 from '14 Draft.

The only problem I have with this trade is Lonzo Ball. He is a complete bust. Hopefully we are already working on trading him. His dad is a clown and will create nothing but distractions.

My dream for spring 2020: AD holds a press conference to say "As I have said all along, I have always intended to enter free agency. What I kept secret was that my plan all along was to sign a FA contract with the New Orleans Pelicans SO THANKS FOR THE FREE DRAFT PICKS SUCKAS!"

They can't afford to NOT develop through the draft. This is why the Pels are in this mess. Next time they won't have Pelinka to take advantage of.

Exactly. The major problem with Monty Williams, other than picking the wrong young vets and bad injury luck, is that he traded away all our picks and tried to sign a winning team of young vets in free agency or through trades. That doesn't really work in a small market because all your cap is tied up in your starters and you don't have role players like pure shooters or backups who can play during inevitable injuries.

The only problem I have with this trade is Lonzo Ball. He is a complete bust. Hopefully we are already working on trading him. His dad is a clown and will create nothing but distractions.

I'm hoping that either Lonzo has grown up and will no longer want his dad around all the time or that his dad has grown up and realize that he is only hurting his son. And, I have some hope that given his comments after the trade about LA that he may have learned his lesson that a town like New Orleans with less pressure would be good for his son.

As far a Ball himself, I'm no basketball expert, but he appears to me to be a guy that can work in a running system like Gentry's. He can't shoot, but he can run, he's a great passer, and plays very good defense. That's a very useful player. Not a star, but starter caliber if you put talent around him to distribute the ball to, especially if he can improve his FT shooting percentage and improve his outside shooting just a little.

Extremely doubtful.

Probably, but I have a strange feeling he could embrace New Orleans and that New Orleans could embrace him. All it would take is for Lavar to pull out one 28-3 joke and he would be welcomed with open arms.

Extremely doubtful.

Lavar is lying his arse off here:

BUT. He seems to have bought in so I'm willing to see what Ball can bring to be honest. I've been down on him since he has come into the league but like Ingram he's only 21. And being away from the Lakers sheet show can do wonders for guys (Russell in Brooklyn and Randle here). So I'm willing to wait and see on Ball.

Probably, but I have a strange feeling he could embrace New Orleans and that New Orleans could embrace him. All it would take is for Lavar to pull out one 28-3 joke and he would be welcomed with open arms.
He did have a nice zinger on First Take this morning when he said he likes Lonzo’s new jersey because it says NO LA.

Lavar is lying his arse off here:

BUT. He seems to have bought in so I'm willing to see what Ball can bring to be honest. I've been down on him since he has come into the league but like Ingram he's only 21. And being away from the Lakers shirt show can do wonders for guys (Russell in Brooklyn and Randle here). So I'm willing to wait and see on Ball.

No doubt he is lying. But at least he is lying in a way to make it easier for his son to fit in with the Pelicans and adapt to New Orleans. He could have come out and said his son does not want to play in NOLA or something similar which would have made the entire thing a sheet show. What he is saying now is really the only thing he can say to help ease the way for Lonzo in NOLA.

I'm hoping that either Lonzo has grown up and will no longer want his dad around all the time or that his dad has grown up and realize that he is only hurting his son. And, I have some hope that given his comments after the trade about LA that he may have learned his lesson that a town like New Orleans with less pressure would be good for his son.

As far a Ball himself, I'm no basketball expert, but he appears to me to be a guy that can work in a running system like Gentry's. He can't shoot, but he can run, he's a great passer, and plays very good defense. That's a very useful player. Not a star, but starter caliber if you put talent around him to distribute the ball to, especially if he can improve his FT shooting percentage and improve his outside shooting just a little.

Maybe it is a coincidence, but it definitely appears that Lonzo has been keeping his dad at arms length in the past year.
I am sure LaVar was planning to use his son to help the BBB but Lonzo hasnt had anything to say or do with it publicly in a long while and the BBB is failing

Allegedly Gentry loves Ball. So who knows.
I don’t know why people are so against keeping Ball. The guy has a rare set of elite skills. Sure he doesn’t have much of a mid jumper under pressure but his passing, IQ, ball control, and 3 pt shooting should allow him to improve into a real strong asset very soon. Combine that with the young athletic talent the team will surround him with and Gentry’s offense and I see a situation where Ball could really be something special for this team.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom