It's official...Genesis will regroup and hit the road (1 Viewer)

Jazzbo

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Genesis regroups for tour after 15 year break

Fans of the prog era Genesis will probably be disappointed to learn that it's only the commercial line-up of Collins-Banks-Rutherford getting back together. However, there is perhaps a small concession for the Gabriel/Hackett crowd:

Banks said the tour would give fans the chance to hear a side of the band that went beyond their hits.
"Genesis has another side to it, a more complex area of music," he said.
"One side gets slightly more attention than the other. We are trying to reacquaint people. Genesis is not particularly a group mentioned very much these days and we want to remind people we did do a lot of things."

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/11/07/genesis.reunion.ap/index.html

yeah, I would have loved to see the full group reunited, but I saw them on the abacab tour when they had already tanked and they absolutely rocked.

Banks said the tour would give fans the chance to hear a side of the band that went beyond their hits.
"Genesis has another side to it, a more complex area of music," he said.
"One side gets slightly more attention than the other. We are trying to reacquaint people. Genesis is not particularly a group mentioned very much these days and we want to remind people we did do a lot of things."

Good God!...NO!!! For the love of God please no!! No more Phil Collins. There is a reason Genesis and Phil Collins aren't mentioned theses days. Because everyone is sick of them. For over 15 years Clear Channel Radio stations across the nation had Genesis and Collins on rotation every 10 songs they played. Genesis is a overrated and over saturated band. They must be hard up for cash to go back on tour.

More specifics from last week's press conference:

- Doing it for fun, not money
- Line-up is Phil/Mike/Tony/Daryl/Chester
- 20 shows in Europe, 20 in US (TBA)
- Rehearsing songs back to 1973
- Originally planned on Lamb tour with Peter
- Setlist to include a couple of medleys
- Not planning on playing Supper's Ready
- No CAS material being played
- Encore series not yet discussed
- Rome show will be free show for 300,000 people
- German shows on sale 10th Nov, UK 24th Nov. Others TBA
- SACDs releases to be March 2007 (Trick - Abacab), June/July 2007 (Genesis - CAS), Fall/Winter 2007 / Spring 2008 (Tresspass - Lamb)

With no Steve Hackett, no Anthony Phillips and no Gabriel, what's the point? Why not Supper's Ready? Bet Mama will be in there, though.

They'll probably pick up where they left off from The Way We Walk tour. They performed a medley of Gabriel/Hackett-era songs like "Fifth of Firth", "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway", "I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)", etc.

>>They'll probably pick up where they left off from The Way We Walk tour. They performed a medley of Gabriel/Hackett-era songs like "Fifth of Firth", "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway", "I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)", etc.

I hate medleys. I wouldn't go see them for precisely that reason and because I don't want to hear any post Wind and Wuthering Genesis. I know a lot of people liked And Then There Were Three, Abacab and such, but I didn't. And though I dig Chester Thompson and am glad he's back on the road with them, I still wouldn't go and see them without Hackett or Gabriel. Because let's face it, with out Steve, Genesis can't Hackett. :hihi:

TPS

Steve, the two times I saw them (Abacab and Genesis tours (I didn't much care for more than a couple of songs on either album, but still)), they only did one medley, the same one that's on Three Sides Live - In The Cage/Cinema Show/Slippermen - and it rocked. I can't stand Phil Collins as a solo artist, but he's a kick *** drummer and a good frontman (no Peter Gabriel, mind you, but still good). I think you'd be surprised at how good their show is. Or at least was at the time. I'd imagine they're gonna stick with the classic stuff, but if they break into a buch of "Paperlate" type crap, it would be vomit-worthy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom