It's Official... Re-Build Has Begun!! (1 Viewer)

YeahSaintsWin

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Taysom Hill was smart and got some good advice from his agents. Hill is a 30-something veteran who will never see a long-term contract. And his RFA tag for $4M would have likely been followed by offers not exceeding $2M per year. So, Hill's new contract with it's two-year term matches Brees' two-year term contract and Payton has already drafted the successor to Hill in the 7th Round... let the rebuilding begin.

Basically, Taysom got the contract Bridgewater had in the prior season, but he is not the veteran backup QB. The Saints roster is rebuilding and will need to sign a veteran QB (J.Winston) as a backup. And, with 4 QBs on a 53-man roster, Loomis certainly won't win "Executive of the Year". So, how did the Saints get here?

The cardinal sin in a rebuild is to bow to fan pressure and/or allow inmates run the asylum. Brees should have been allowed to retire. And he could have left with his friend Taysom in tow. Yeah, fans would have gone ballistic but the Dome would still be filled and winning would have ushered in the new normal for the team. The Saints missed that opportunity. I love my team and QB, but that is my opinion.

To his credit, Payton does seem to like the offense and plays with Swiss-Army Hill. So, Payton trades back into the 7th Round and drafted QB Tommy Stevens. A guy who can do what Hill does and Tommy is a better passer. Stevens is 10 years younger and the Saints can't afford $10M per year for a backup QB/special teams player; so, the writing is on the wall for Taysom and Drew.

How does a two QB system work in the NFL? Tom Landry tried two QBs using Roger Staubach and Danny White. During the season, Landry settled on Staubach and the rest is history. Taysom and Tommy are not the new "Roger the Dodger" and running QBs can end up banged up ala Cam Newton. This, plain and simple, is a rebuild and my advice is, "buckle up!!"

GO Saints!!!

We’ve been avoiding a true “rebuild” for 3 years. We’ve got an offensive line that can last another decade and a young defense with attitude. The next QB should plug right in.

Apparently you and I have differing definitions of "rebuild"....

I don't know that using the 1st round pick to shore up the interior line (an area imperative for Brees to have success with his style of play)...........the following pick on a linebacker, which was also an immediate need..........followed by another weapon at TE.......would fall into the category of rebuilding.

I find this post very confusing. Not really sure what the point was.

Are you basing the future of the team on a 7th round pick? 7th rounders rarely make the practice squad much less the team.

Are you saying the whole team needs to rebuild because there are future questions at the QB position?

Are you saying we paid too much for QBs and should have cut them all this year?

None of it is making sense to me.

I never understood why this fan base is so fascinated with rebuilding when they are built to win right now. Team had a great draft/free agency period and folks still complain.

Taysom Hill was smart and got some good advice from his agents. Hill is a 30-something veteran who will never see a long-term contract. And his RFA tag for $4M would have likely been followed by offers not exceeding $2M per year. So, Hill's new contract with it's two-year term matches Brees' two-year term contract and Payton has already drafted the successor to Hill in the 7th Round... let the rebuilding begin.

Basically, Taysom got the contract Bridgewater had in the prior season, but he is not the veteran backup QB. The Saints roster is rebuilding and will need to sign a veteran QB (J.Winston) as a backup. And, with 4 QBs on a 53-man roster, Loomis certainly won't win "Executive of the Year". So, how did the Saints get here?

The cardinal sin in a rebuild is to bow to fan pressure and/or allow inmates run the asylum. Brees should have been allowed to retire. And he could have left with his friend Taysom in tow. Yeah, fans would have gone ballistic but the Dome would still be filled and winning would have ushered in the new normal for the team. The Saints missed that opportunity. I love my team and QB, but that is my opinion.

To his credit, Payton does seem to like the offense and plays with Swiss-Army Hill. So, Payton trades back into the 7th Round and drafted QB Tommy Stevens. A guy who can do what Hill does and Tommy is a better passer. Stevens is 10 years younger and the Saints can't afford $10M per year for a backup QB/special teams player; so, the writing is on the wall for Taysom and Drew.

How does a two QB system work in the NFL? Tom Landry tried two QBs using Roger Staubach and Danny White. During the season, Landry settled on Staubach and the rest is history. Taysom and Tommy are not the new "Roger the Dodger" and running QBs can end up banged up ala Cam Newton. This, plain and simple, is a rebuild and my advice is, "buckle up!!"

GO Saints!!!
This is exactly the kind of post I’d expect after a month of covid isolation.
1587927579161.jpeg

The rebuild happened 4-6 years ago when they shed all the knuckleheads and started building a roster with purpose.

We now have one of the youngest and best offensive lines in the league.

We have one or the best receivers in league history.

We have a talented and deep defensive line.

We have a secondary that is going to be damn good.

We have not one but two possible successors for the greatest quarterback in the history of football.

Life is good man. What are you complaining about?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom