It's time for Courtney Roby to step up on Kick Return (2 Viewers)

Overall, ST are the achilles heel of this years Saints. I don't put that stat on Roby though, lots of touchbacks, and he's been *very* important on kick defense.

Every kicker who we face has their leg turn into a rocket whenever we play them.

Buehler had 8 touchbacks all year going into Thursday night. He had 3 in that single game against us.

Orlindo Mare had a season high 3 touchbacks against us the week before.

The teams that we face know that they don't want us starting from the 40 or better, so they put their all into those kickoffs. On top of that, the ST blocking is suspect, and needs much improvement. Finally, I like Roby - I think he's very good, but there have been times where one cut to the left or right, and he would have been gone.

I'm sure he realizes kickers are putting their all into kickoffs so he needs to start taking more chances and bringing it out of the endzone instead of being so quick to take a knee.

He needs to start taking more chances and bringing it out of the endzone instead of being so quick to take a knee.

No, he doesn't.

Several times he has and he's given us horrible field position. If it's 4-5 yards deep, take the knee.

No, he doesn't.

Several times he has and he's given us horrible field position. If it's 4-5 yards deep, take the knee.

That area needs to be upgraded then. I appreciate what he's done as a gunner, but we certainly can do better in the return game. The blocking on ST isn't that frickin' horrible that he can't make room for himself by making a few cuts. He's just very predictable.

More than anything else, I think it may be time to find a new special teams coach.

We're missing a lot of good, young players from our special teams units. Lynell Hamilton and Jonathan Casillas were arguably our two best blockers last year, and they haven't played a snap this year. Chris Reis has also missed a lot of time, and Pierson Prioleau has been in and out of the lineup.

He's not a very talented kick returner. He's just fast. So if he hits a hole (not likely) he can take off and run away from people.

Trouble now is we cannot seem to create a crease for him no matter what.

does anyone know for sure why Moorestead hasn't been kicking off?

jeffduncantp
Think they wanted him to concentrate on punts. @super2510: do you know why Moorestead hasn't been kicking off like he did last year?

That's a weird answer (and odd that a reporter would buy that as a real answer). How hard is it with this offense to concentrate on punts? We should use his skills to help the team and one of his skills is clearly kicking off.

Roby has the change of direction of carl nicks. All he does is run in a straight line no matter what. If there is no huge hole then roby will not make anything happen. He cant break tackles either. I think in the offseason we need to bring in some competition there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom