It's time for our offensive line to step up... (1 Viewer)

jimmac

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
If there's another Super Bowl run coming, we will need the offensive line to be light years better run blocking than we have been. getting the run game going once every 4-5 games is'nt getting it done. They must play better!

the o line is doing their part or rbs were dancing too much instead of hitting the holes

Uhh, go back and watch again. They were getting dominated at the line of scrimmage. There were defenders in the backfield less than a second after the snap. O-line continues it's inconsistency which is what worries me the most.

Uhh, go back and watch again. They were getting dominated at the line of scrimmage. There were defenders in the backfield less than a second after the snap. O-line continues it's inconsistency which is what worries me the most.

go back and watch the line......not the running backs

tell me how many runs we had for negative yardage yesterday

aside from the 2 big losses from reggie, we had a good ypc average

but when you only run it 14 times, and one of those was a backwards pass, you dont really try to establish your dominance in the ground game

please please....before you tell someone to go back and watch the game again, do it yourself

We have played four teams with a winning record this year, against Pittsburgh, Atlanta and Baltimore we had 51 carries for 100 yards, against Tampa we ran for over 200 yards but they are the 29th ranked run defense. Yes we need more carries, but the line is not creating any holes to run. Last year we ran the ball great, there was much more balance, less turnovers, this year things look more like 2007-'08. The difference in a winning record, our schedule has to be one of the worst in the league and we have played some pretty pathetic offenses. For the most part we have beaten the teams we should beat with the exception of Arizona and Cleveland.

We have played four teams with a winning record this year, against Pittsburgh, Atlanta and Baltimore we had 51 carries for 100 yards, against Tampa we ran for over 200 yards but they are the 29th ranked run defense. Yes we need more carries, but the line is not creating any holes to run. Last year we ran the ball great, there was much more balance, less turnovers, this year things look more like 2007-'08. The difference in a winning record, our schedule has to be one of the worst in the league and we have played some pretty pathetic offenses. For the most part we have beaten the teams we should beat with the exception of Arizona and Cleveland.

I have tried to defend out schedule through out the year but Im guess it is true. we are 2-2 against teams with winning records this year, and we've struggle and lost against some bad teams. Not sure who these Saints are this year. Like Coach said in the SoundFx "If you wanna go from good to great it wont be easy" I guess right now, we are just that good team that "nobody wants to play right now" but we arent Great yet.

the bolded is the answer to your own question

last season, the only significant difference in the offense is the rushing attempts.....we are still successful running the ball when we get up towards 25 rushing attempts per game.....but when we run it less we arent going to establish enough consistancy to have that dominant run game that we had last year

Another thing that concerns me is the last five games we have given up 375 yards a game and we have been as healthy as we have been all year.

I just don't get how our O-line goes from best in the league to being so inconsistent.

Does anyone know what Payton's record is when we rush the ball less than 20 times? I have a hunch it's not so good. And agreed. I believe we have one of the best O-Lines in the league, certainly the best guard tandem. I just don't understand why we can't establish a consistent running game this year.

the o line is doing their part or rbs were dancing too much instead of hitting the holes

Strongly disagree. The runblocking, passblocking, and overall discipline regarding avoiding penalties is light years behind what they were doing last year.

It's very possible this unit overachieved last year.

I think it all starts with mindset, yes we have a prolific passing game, but we continue to come out in games with the intentions of throwing the football. It seems we start most games passing 10-12 times out of the first 15 plays. Against the Rams we were clicking starting off the game throwing and had them on their heels and the run game opened up early. Yesterday we started with a three and out, on the second drive we made a couple third down conversions and scored, but never really got the run game going. When Baltimore scored it seemed that Payton thought he had to continue to throw and pretty much abandoned the running game.

I agree the O-line is not playing well enough for us to repeat.

Brees is having to make plays when the line breaks down way too much and we all know what happens when Brees is not concerned about the pressure. It's an automatic 7 points down your throat.

O-line is playing at about a B- or C+ level this year, and we know this group is way better than that.

Strongly disagree. The runblocking, passblocking, and overall discipline regarding avoiding penalties is light years behind what they were doing last year.

It's very possible this unit overachieved last year.

like several other posters pointed out, penalties are up all around the league for offensive linemen. more holding penalties and false starts.....probably due to the new position of the umpire behind the offense

as far as our pass blocking goes...ive said this several times.....the offensive line is giving up more sacks overall, but the ratio from pass attempts to sacks is not bad at all.....we just pass the ball too much IMO

and the run blocking is not elite this year....but we are still successful when we do decide to run and its helped chris ivory become one of the better rookie prospects. the real issue is the lack of commitment to the ground game that knocks our rushing totals down several notches

Does anyone know what Payton's record is when we rush the ball less than 20 times? I have a hunch it's not so good. And agreed. I believe we have one of the best O-Lines in the league, certainly the best guard tandem. I just don't understand why we can't establish a consistent running game this year.

Best guard tandem? That was for one year..do it once you're a rookie, do it twice you're a pro. We do not currently have the best guard tandem in the NFL...we do not have a dominating offensive line. They produced like that for one year.

For the casual fan your argument regarding how much the Saints run equating to victories seems like a good stat. The thing is, sometimes when we run more, it's not because we are trying to be balanced, it's a product of being ahead in the game.

When you break it down, shake it around, and analyze all the data, this argument has totally been ripped to shreds. ..many times over.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom