It's time for our offensive line to step up... (1 Viewer)

go back and watch the line......not the running backs

tell me how many runs we had for negative yardage yesterday

aside from the 2 big losses from reggie, we had a good ypc average

but when you only run it 14 times, and one of those was a backwards pass, you dont really try to establish your dominance in the ground game

please please....before you tell someone to go back and watch the game again, do it yourself

Those two big losses count and where the fault of unblocked defenders coming in on Reggie at the handoff.

Those two big losses count and where the fault of unblocked defenders coming in on Reggie at the handoff.

That could be more poor decision making or play design than poor blocking. In other words, the play had no chance of succeeding.

If there's another Super Bowl run coming, we will need the offensive line to be light years better run blocking than we have been. getting the run game going once every 4-5 games is'nt getting it done. They must play better!

We need Bushrod to stop being dominated as well. He was ate for lunch yesterday.

I thought the guards and center were very good pass protecting yesterday and Stincomb had a decent day allowing Brees room to roll out many times when he needed to. Brees was pressured from his left all day long and the first fumble was because Bushrod completely whiffed his block.

like several other posters pointed out, penalties are up all around the league for offensive linemen. more holding penalties and false starts.....probably due to the new position of the umpire behind the offense

as far as our pass blocking goes...ive said this several times.....the offensive line is giving up more sacks overall, but the ratio from pass attempts to sacks is not bad at all.....we just pass the ball too much IMO

and the run blocking is not elite this year....but we are still successful when we do decide to run and its helped chris ivory become one of the better rookie prospects. the real issue is the lack of commitment to the ground game that knocks our rushing totals down several notches

And Evans has the most holding calls against him than any offensive lineman in the league.

This tells me that Evans was possibly really good at doing things he shouldn't be doing to block his guy...

Best guard tandem? That was for one year..do it once you're a rookie, do it twice you're a pro. We do not currently have the best guard tandem in the NFL...we do not have a dominating offensive line. They produced like that for one year.

actually, the year before jahri was widely considered to already be the best guard in the league, but we didnt make the playoffs and nicks was only a rookie so he couldnt be considered in the top although he was playing lights out after taking over for nesbit.

this is the 3rd year in a row they are playing at an elite level and its no fluke........it looks like you're just trying to hate on them

When you break it down, shake it around, and analyze all the data, this argument has totally been ripped to shreds. ..many times over.

thats complete BS....when you break it down, you can see that when we run less than 25 times per game, we dont find much success. when we run more, we find more success because we are balanced

when we run once every couple series you cant establish anything....and nobody is going to respect it at all......especially the crappy little draws that we were trying to run yesterday

I don't think it is as simple as coach Payton not running the ball enough, but I do think it probably has to do with the O line.

Last year we generally used the pass to open the run. Our pass blocking was better last year than it is this year, at least partly because Evans (and probably others too) used to be able to get away with a little holding that they can't get away with anymore. This has seriously affected Brees, reducing the effectiveness of our passing attack, especially early in the year.

I will bet you that the focus in practice since the season started has been how to pass block effectively without creating penalties, since Brees is our bread and butter.

If that's the case, focus there means less focus on run blocking. Our pass blocking has gotten better as the season has gone on, but our running game comes and goes with Chris Ivory, a running back who doesn't need much of a hole to get the job done.

actually, the year before jahri was widely considered to already be the best guard in the league, but we didnt make the playoffs and nicks was only a rookie so he couldnt be considered in the top although he was playing lights out after taking over for nesbit.

this is the 3rd year in a row they are playing at an elite level and its no fluke........it looks like you're just trying to hate on them

thats complete BS....when you break it down, you can see that when we run less than 25 times per game, we dont find much success. when we run more, we find more success because we are balanced

when we run once every couple series you cant establish anything....and nobody is going to respect it at all......especially the crappy little draws that we were trying to run yesterday

You were proved wrong before, not sure why the need is to go there again. There is no magic number the Saints need to run that equal victory.

Go watch the Steelers game..

I'm not biting.

And Evans has the most holding calls against him than any offensive lineman in the league.

This tells me that Evans was possibly really good at doing things he shouldn't be doing to block his guy...

lmao......this post tells me you arent understanding blockin at all

every play, every lineman, on every team holds

and let me lay out a scenario for you....when you watch a sport.....any sport......dont your eyes get drawn to the best players automatically?

guess what......if jahri is getting so much attention, dont you think he is going to get called more?

you are using a stat that has nothing to do with his skill to try and prove that he isnt any good.....sure, point out the 1 holding call per game and ignore the other 70 plays we run

You were proved wrong before, not sure why the need is to go there again. There is no magic number the Saints need to run that equal victory.

no kidding.....i never said there was.....in fact ive said 100s of times that there is no magic number......in those exact words

but when you look at the stats.....and im betting you wont, when we run more, we find more success because we balance our offense

its simple science

go watch all the games except the steelers game since thats the one you decided to harp on

and they resulted in an overall bad ypc total that is not reminiscent of how the majority of the game went

when we tried to run we found success aside from 2 runs

which means 12/14 runs went for positive gains and 8 of those went for 3 yards or more........the first 3 yards are the lines responsibility so it looks like they were doing their jobs if you ask me

For the record it boggles my mind how any can think our guards are playing at an elite level this year.

They haven't been playing well. The ref moving behind the line hurting them? Well, it's interesting how other teams guards aren't having the same problems Evans is...Evans has the most holding penalties of any offensive lineman in the league.

THE VERY MOST!

THAT is terrible.

For the record it boggles my mind how any can think our guards are playing at an elite level this year.

They haven't been playing well. The ref moving behind the line hurting them? Well, it's interesting how other teams guards aren't having the same problems Evans is...Evans has the most holding penalties of any offensive lineman in the league.

THE VERY MOST!

THAT is terrible.

they are having the same trouble that evans is.....didnt you read anything i said?

the difference is that evans is the best guard in the league and i guarantee you he is getting a few extra eyes every play watching his blocks

they are having the same trouble that evans is.....didnt you read anything i said?

the difference is that evans is the best guard in the league and i guarantee you he is getting a few extra eyes every play watching his blocks

Once again, from your perspective, the best guard in the league has the most holding calls in the league..he has also been embarrassed in quite a few games..I'll never forget that Sf game.

I'm not buying it that people are picking on him because he is good.

What am I buying? I think the guy was good at bending the rules and was EXCELLENT at holding where it could not be seen by the ref. No, not all the times, of course, but more so than other offensive lineman. Now the referee has moved and he is being caught. I'm just hoping he can adapt and either learn to hold where it can't be seen(not that he does this all the time, but he used to pick his spots well) or learn to play straight up and block his guy.

Once again, from your perspective, the best guard in the league has the most holding calls in the league..he has also been embarrassed in quite a few games..I'll never forget that Sf game.

I'm not buying it that people are picking on him because he is good.

What am I buying? I think the guy was good at bending the rules and was EXCELLENT at holding where it could not be seen by the ref. No, not all the times, of course, but more so than other offensive lineman. Now the referee has moved and he is being caught. I'm just hoping he can adapt and either learn to hold where it can't be seen(not that he does this all the time, but he used to pick his spots well) or learn to play straight up and block his guy.

your argument is so political

"he played a nazi in reinactments so he must be a nazi"

you act like he isnt any good because he holds sometimes

your argument is so political

"he played a nazi in reinactments so he must be a nazi"

you act like he isnt any good because he holds sometimes

lol

Look, I'm not saying Evans is terrible(though a few plays here and there this year he has looked that way). I'm just really questioning how good he can be now, and in the future, under this new rule-set. I believe we both can agree that these new rules are effecting him more than other guards..That's a concern, no matter what you think of Evans..

I hope you're right that it's just because he is being picked on because he is considered so good. I have serious doubts about this though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom