I've always thought that certain injuries could be avoided based on Skill of the player (1 Viewer)

Surprised this thread is catching so much flak. The original point is a no-brainer.

Haiku of the day.

Perhaps we're just "bored"
Debating obvious points
On a football "board"

And yet interesting enough...depending on who is reading/looking at it it makes little to no sense and yet to you its a no brainer. That POV thing I was speaking on. Even to me it didn't seem as something that was "obvious" and it took me reading this article to say oh...ok that really does make sense instead of being in my brain like...how to I express this or does it even make sense to anyone else but me.

I can buy this.

Players tearing their ACL jumping 2 feet in the air celebrating versus players that dive and do flips running into the endzone at full speed. Similar to pocket presence, knowing when to protect yourself and having flexibility and control to prevent / minimize risk of injury.

Learning to keep your head on swivel early is probably the most important lesson you can learn. That and see what you're hitting.

It makes sense EJW. Not just to you.

A fundamental part of being a pro football player is - protect your body.

SomeThreadbareDragonfly.gif

This is the questionable technique on the play that Bennett was injured on. The article goes through his technique and presents how he has good technique most of the time. But what he doesn't do is give us the context of Bennett's injury. Bennet is supposed to be playing the 5 Tech on this play, it appears he is playing to "10" technique since he is about twice as far out as a 5 tech should be. Being that far out of position to start with is poor technique. That is the entire reason matthews had to cut him. Further poor technique would be that he wasn't in control of the Offensive linemen allowing himself to get cut like that. The entire article misses the biggest point he was trying to make. Good technique usually saves you from injury. Had the article instead extrapolated that when Bennett used poor technique it got him hurt, than I would have given full marks.

So one statement can absolutely derail the point of an entire article. Just like my poor technique of bashing the statement without context derailed my entire point.

SomeThreadbareDragonfly.gif

This is the questionable technique on the play that Bennett was injured on. The article goes through his technique and presents how he has good technique most of the time. But what he doesn't do is give us the context of Bennett's injury. Bennet is supposed to be playing the 5 Tech on this play, it appears he is playing to "10" technique since he is about twice as far out as a 5 tech should be. Being that far out of position to start with is poor technique. The entire article misses the biggest point he was trying to make. Good technique always saves you from injury. Had the article instead extrapolated that when Bennett used poor technique it got him hurt, than I wouldn't given full marks.

So one statement can absolutely derail the point of an entire article. Just like my poor technique of bashing the statement without context derailed my entire point.

Looking at it He also reacts last second to the hit coming. Perhaps having that reaction time to what was happening in front of him along with his athletic abilities is what saved him. Which is also discussed in the article as well. He seems to see it coming just enough to respond.

He also would have been fair to not assume a cut block was coming as it looks like the protection was meant to allow the LG to engage him to which he was looking to engage and the LG was looking to engage just b4 the cut. Both Bennett and 67 looked prepared to engage then Matthews cuts him.

One could assume the cut by Matthews was unnecessary

It's kind of funny because as I was reading the article, a light bulb came on and I thought well that is a better way of explaining thoughts I've had on the subject for a while.

I played all sports growing up, and stayed with football through highschool playing linebacker. I never once suffered any kind of a knee or ankle injury, not so much as a sprain. And the only thing I've been able to attribute it to is an innate ability I've always had to feel contact or a fall/trip and immediately be able to diagnose the situation and know the best way to fall or absorb or avoid the impact/fall that will result in the least amount of damage or pain. Whether that would be just going with the fall, having to turn my body or body part to keep it from getting pinned, brace myself or not brace, or attempt to break the fall or not.

Not trying to compare myself to Michael Bennett here, just that I can completely relate to the author's point because of years of personal experience. I've gotten stitched from head to toe, many times over, but never broken a bone or torn a ligament. And trust me, I've been in numerous situations where I should have suffered both to multiple parts of my body.

I'm not sure if it's exactly what the author is saying, but I've always attributed it to a certain level of body control.

I feel like Sproles was one of the more skilled players at knowing how to take a hit.

Good read, thanks for posting!

It's kind of funny because as I was reading the article, a light bulb came on and I thought well that is a better way of explaining thoughts I've had on the subject for a while.

I played all sports growing up, and stayed with football through highschool playing linebacker. I never once suffered any kind of a knee or ankle injury, not so much as a sprain. And the only thing I've been able to attribute it to is an innate ability I've always had to feel contact or a fall/trip and immediately be able to diagnose the situation and know the best way to fall or absorb or avoid the impact/fall that will result in the least amount of damage or pain. Whether that would be just going with the fall, having to turn my body or body part to keep it from getting pinned, brace myself or not brace, or attempt to break the fall or not.

Not trying to compare myself to Michael Bennett here, just that I can completely relate to the author's point because of years of personal experience. I've gotten stitched from head to toe, many times over, but never broken a bone or torn a ligament. And trust me, I've been in numerous situations where I should have suffered both to multiple parts of my body.

I'm not sure if it's exactly what the author is saying, but I've always attributed it to a certain level of body control.

I just got chills reading this. I played all sports, never broke a bone never has serious ankle sprains. Was always able to control falls and catch myself and be aware of things around me. Good body control can save you. You can't avoid ankle sprains in Basketball and yet amazingly I've never suffered anything severe despite being in situations to do so. Man thanks for allowing me to relate for a moment.

I played football when I was a kid - and I never got anything more than a few sprains or bruises. Saw plenty of people get hurt.

But I also knew when to get out. I knew I didn't have the talent to compete with full bearded 300lb monsters when they started blowing up.

So I got out. Getting out was good situational awareness, and good technique!

I played football when I was a kid - and I never got anything more than a few sprains or bruises. Saw plenty of people get hurt.

But I also knew when to get out. I knew I didn't have the talent to compete with full bearded 300lb monsters when they started blowing up.

So I got out. Getting out was good situational awareness, and good technique!

Well played sir:hihi:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom