Ivory to receive tender (according to Holder) (1 Viewer)

Can't afford to pay for potential anymore at that position, which as currently run as a platoon, does not lend itself to Ivory's current skillset, even when healthy.

We'll get a draft pick and Ivory hopefully will get a shot as as starting rusher or primary backup on a team like Pittsburgh that really only uses two true running backs a game.

Ivory's being in the NFL and being our camp star in 2010 is a great story. But there has not been a consistent role for him in three regular seasons, with much of the problem being nicked up - which may truly be a result of his exposed, bulldog running style.

I think that would be the thought behind giving him that. Tender him for a 2nd so that nobody takes him. Trade him somewhere else for a lesser pick.

So can u do that? Tender a second...trade for a 3rd?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I hate for Ivory to be gone, but what choice do the Saints have? He can't stay healthy for a season so how can they commit to keep him long term? The best thing to do is try to get something for him in a trade which seems to be the route they're going.

RFA tenders usually become negotiable which is why I thought a tender early is a sign of opening up talks for a realistic trade scenario. I'm thinking a low round tender and then a sign and trade. Teams know the Saints will likely match any offer, so for me an incentivised trade deal works well.

I may be misunderstanding your post, but sure, they're negotiable. They're negotiable for all parties involved. The Saints could tender and then sign him to a long-term contract, tender and then match any contract offer he gets elsewhere, tender and then trade him to a team (which would extend his deal then), etc.

The nature of NFL contracts however is that it's pretty easy to poison pill a deal. It doesn't happen all the time, but it has happened (notably Steve Hutchinson to the Vikings). Or a team could simply front-load the deal in such a way that it doesn't work for our tight cap. Either way, unless we tender him at a 2nd round level, which requires compensation if we don't match, we're unlikely to get anything for him. Tendered at the lowest level another team could easily construct a deal we could not match and give us nothing in return for compensation. There would be no reason for a trade.

There is a tender level between the lowest and the 2nd round tender, but it the compensation given if the deal is not matched there is the round the player was drafted in. Given that Ivory was an UDFA, this is essentially the same for us as the lowest tender, so we won't use it.

It'll be a 2nd round tender, which could be prelude to a trade, or the lowest tender which means we'll likely see him walk for free.

So can u do that? Tender a second...trade for a 3rd?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah. You could trade him for a bag of peanuts and a conditional 7th rounder in 2014 dependent on him winning the MVP if you wanted.

The tender level only denotes what the team gets if they fail to match a long-term deal he signs with another team.

Everyone needs to seriously shut up about this crap. I'm sick of everyone saying this stuff. Back it up with evidence or stop parroting crap you saw another poster say who got it from another poster and so on.

I got it from watching games. If you disagree, neat. But that's my opinion based on what I've seen.

RFA tenders usually become negotiable which is why I thought a tender early is a sign of opening up talks for a realistic trade scenario. I'm thinking a low round tender and then a sign and trade. Teams know the Saints will likely match any offer, so for me an incentivised trade deal works well.

You must have heard something different than what I'm aware of..

As far as I know, there are only 3 tenders allowed:

Level 1: first round pick compensation, 2.88 million one-year contract
Level 2: second round pick compensation, 2.02 million one-year contract
Level 3: same round pick compensation, 2.02 million one-year contract

Since Ivory was a UDFA, we'd get nothing for the Level 3 tender.

As LSS said, if we tender him at level 1 or 2, we'd better be prepared to pay him 2+ million if he signs it. A lot of times, a club will tender a player and then offer him a multi-year deal that is more to his liking, but it's still a gamble if he simply signs the tender and plays out his year.

I got it from watching games. If you disagree, neat. But that's my opinion based on what I've seen.

I disagree based on what I've seen. I've literally seen every snap played by Ivory in his career with the Saints and can think of o e bad play he had coming out of the backfield and it can be argued that it wasn't even his fault.

I disagree based on what I've seen. I've literally seen every snap played by Ivory in his career with the Saints and can think of o e bad play he had coming out of the backfield and it can be argued that it wasn't even his fault.

That is the red flag, you haven't seen it because we rarely put him on the field where he has to pass protect.

I think it depends on which model we decide to use and how the team views Mark Ingram.

IF the saints feel as though Mark Ingram can be a 3 down back then Thomas can be on the way out.

Ingram is supposed to be everything Thomas is...but younger and a bit faster. Is he the player that Thomas is that remains to be seen.

So if you take that model which would resemble our 2009 SB team wed end up with

Ingram
Sproles
Ivory
Cadet

However, if the teams feels as though Ingram hasn't shown the ability to pass protect or contribute in the screen game then Ivory could be the oddman out. That would leave us with the 2006 version of the offense

Ingram
Thomas
Sproles
Cadet

Both have their strengths n weakness.

Say we trade/release Thomas. We have to hope Ingram can fill that role..especially the screen game. Its the most balanced but it will take a little projecting. I think Ingram can do it but because of the emotions fans have invested in Thomas and how much he has contributed it would be hard to see this happen.

The second scenario allows us to keep Thomas but....if we lose Ingram for any amount of time we don't have anyone else to be a battering ram/closer and wear down defenses. Thus wed end up having to sign someone off the streets.

As much as i love Pierre id prefer we keep Ivory.

Or.....we may just keep them all again

That is the red flag, you haven't seen it because we rarely put him on the field where he has to pass protect.
So he doesn't play because he can't pass protect or catch out of the backfield in practice?

iverson.jpg

I think it depends on which model we decide to use and how the team views Mark Ingram.

IF the saints feel as though Mark Ingram can be a 3 down back then Thomas can be on the way out.

Ingram is supposed to be everything Thomas is...but younger and a bit faster. Is he the player that Thomas is that remains to be seen.

So if you take that model which would resemble our 2009 SB team wed end up with

Ingram
Sproles
Ivory
Cadet

I wouldn't mind this.

I'd prefer we keep Ivory and PT. Ingram and PT are not the same person, PT is better than Ingram in an assortment of categories. I realize that this will be more Cap and ego than any realistic scenario based on production.

You must have heard something different than what I'm aware of..

As far as I know, there are only 3 tenders allowed:

Level 1: first round pick compensation, 2.88 million one-year contract
Level 2: second round pick compensation, 2.02 million one-year contract
Level 3: same round pick compensation, 2.02 million one-year contract

Since Ivory was a UDFA, we'd get nothing for the Level 3 tender.

As LSS said, if we tender him at level 1 or 2, we'd better be prepared to pay him 2+ million if he signs it. A lot of times, a club will tender a player and then offer him a multi-year deal that is more to his liking, but it's still a gamble if he simply signs the tender and plays out his year.

The Level 3 is $1.33 million (not $2.02 million). I would imagine that is the tender he will get, which means he could walk for nothing. However, I think we still retain the right of first refusal for any tender.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom