J Johnson on Saints and improving teams (1 Viewer)

Great article... thanks for the link.

I particularly liked this quote from Jimmy:

"...Being a coach, I always want to list coaching near the top of that list. It usually is the main reason why teams have gotten better during the course of the season — and will continue to get better. It allows these teams to continue to separate themselves from the rest of the pack..."

While it's a generic quote and doesn't specifically address just the Saints, it speaks volumes as to why we find ourselves where we are as a team with just five weeks remaining.

Coming from a proven superbowl champion coach like Jimmy simply makes it more meaningful for me... he's not your typical talking head.

Very good article. He makes a good point that teams that see improvement through the year don't implode like those that are playing at the same level as when they started. It makes a lot of sense, and it could have applied to the Saints from about 01 through last year. They just never got better. That has to be frustrating, and I can see how it can lead to problems in the locker room when a lot of players feeling frustrated. I think this may help to explain our December collapses in the past, not that I care anymore.

Diehard,

Nice find; thanks for posting.

Finally... someone who has the courage to call the "darling Panthers" for the shell of the team they've been puffed-up to be:

Quote: "I know I mentioned Carolina earlier, but something is missing this year with this team. They are not converting on third downs for some reason and they were shaky on defense earlier in the year. I am worried about them because they lost to a quarterback playing in his second NFL game and against a defense that has been shaky all year long. Washington's defense hasn't been very good, but the Panthers couldn't score.

I don't understand why Carolina doesn't have a better intermediate passing game with Keyshawn Johnson on the team. They should be able to convert on third downs. They are a very limited offensive team and one that seems to be limited to throwing deep to Steve Smith all the time. Sometimes they simply throw it deep and hope for the best and today they had two of those throws intercepted."

Diehard,

Nice find; thanks for posting.

Finally... someone who has the courage to call the "darling Panthers" for the shell of the team they've been puffed-up to be:

Have you ever noticed that Jimmy never pulls his punches? Maybe it's because he's secure in what he says and has the "coaching skins" to backup his words.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom