J. Russell close to 300lbs....... (1 Viewer)

who cares...he's a QB and he's not a runing QB...does his arm still work? if it does he will be fine...also i have seen a lot of negative things on here about j.r. , kinda reminds me of his lsu days, so nobody knows what he will be in the nfl.....so stop hating......go j.r.!!!!!

Historically the #1 overall player doesn't amount to much. It seems to go double for QB's. Saying that JR was going to live up to the hype is like saying that the Saints won't win the next three Superbowls.
Theres bust all over the first round every year, that doesn't mean Russell wont be a good or even great QB, i think it's going to be mental for him, if he gets that part of the game down i think he will be fine, he has every physical skill you need to be a great one.

JaMarcus_Russell.jpg

Did a quick search didn't see anything else about this, but here he is during practice last week, he looks like he's in better shape than he was last season.

JaMarcus_Russell.jpg

Did a quick search didn't see anything else about this, but here he is during practice last week, he looks like he's in better shape than he was last season.

If that is a recent pic, then this report of his weight is terribly incorrect.

If he tanks, it won't be because of his weight. He always seemed like he just didn't quite get it for some reason. I'll never forget what he said before he got drafted. He'd go to whoever paid him the most money. Not really what you want your #1 pick to be talking about at a news conference. You want him to talk about how hard he wants to work, win, play, etc. Not how he wants to get paid.

He may be OK one day, but I don't think he'll ever be great. JMO....

JaMarcus_Russell.jpg

Dude could play DE if they needed him to..

He won't make Leaf look like an All-Pro, but he will never do anything in the NFL.

I always thought the same. Russell looked great in the Sugar Bowl, but he reminds me too much of Aaron Brooks. A player with great physical tools but who keeps making the same mistakes. Russell could always make incredible throws and then turn around and misfire on a screen pass. He had no touch and not his accuracy was never the greatest.

The problem is that arm strength is not something you can teach, but touch is something you can. If a player can't learn to throw the touch pass, it means he is not very coachable. I don't think Russell is coachable. He'll always try to whip the ball in there, and sometimes he'll connect, sometimes not, but he'll never be more than a 50% passer. He's Vince Young without the mobility, and that's the kiss of death.

Let's see how he does in the NFL for at least 1 season before we assume, label, or criticize him as a player in the NFL.

I always thought the same. Russell looked great in the Sugar Bowl, but he reminds me too much of Aaron Brooks. A player with great physical tools but who keeps making the same mistakes. Russell could always make incredible throws and then turn around and misfire on a screen pass. He had no touch and not his accuracy was never the greatest.

The problem is that arm strength is not something you can teach, but touch is something you can. If a player can't learn to throw the touch pass, it means he is not very coachable. I don't think Russell is coachable. He'll always try to whip the ball in there, and sometimes he'll connect, sometimes not, but he'll never be more than a 50% passer. He's Vince Young without the mobility, and that's the kiss of death.
Did you watch LSU? He has touch. Your assessment is horrible. Glad you aren't a Saints scout.

He always seemed like he just didn't quite get it for some reason. I'll never forget what he said before he got drafted. He'd go to whoever paid him the most money. Not really what you want your #1 pick to be talking about at a news conference. You want him to talk about how hard he wants to work, win, play, etc. Not how he wants to get paid.
I know a lot of people that share that sentiment, and quite frankly I think its a lame reason. Number one pick equals top dollar. Since everyone can make the connection, it should be obvious that he was insinuating that he wanted to be the number one pick. Would you really have gotten more out of that answer if he had just given the same stock answer that he had given interview after interview to countless reporters and microphones?

Guys, was a "rumor", and by the way, they've reported that he's in 260 range.

If he tanks, it won't be because of his weight. He always seemed like he just didn't quite get it for some reason. I'll never forget what he said before he got drafted. He'd go to whoever paid him the most money. Not really what you want your #1 pick to be talking about at a news conference. You want him to talk about how hard he wants to work, win, play, etc. Not how he wants to get paid.

He may be OK one day, but I don't think he'll ever be great. JMO....
I will never be upset at someone who is willing to say what everyone else is thinking. It is incredibly naive to think that a professional athlete of any sport plays the game because they want to work, win, play, etc and not because they want to make millions of dollars. There are plenty of other jobs out there where you don't have to risk bodily harm and permanent injury, but they don't pay nearly as well.

Geez, Don't y'all remember that Haz learned a lot form Al Davis? And what did Haz try to do with every player we had? Make them gain weight. Where did he learn that? Obviously from the Raiders. So naturally the Raiders want JR to gain weight. Why? So he can change the game of football as we know it.

Think of the Superbowl. How many times was Brady hit or sacked? Something like 30 times. Why? Because he's a wispy little thing. They could tackle him without fear of begin injured when he fell on them. And remember Trent Green? How he had to throw that low block, and ended up with a concussion? What did the guy he blocked do? Holler and scream at him as he lay on the ground?

Now imagine these scenes with JR. The giants rush and rush, but unfortunately, they can't just push or grab a leg and have this behemoth fall over like a Drew Bledsoe clone. So they have to try to tackle him. The Raiders are prolly teaching him to fall forward while being tackled, so when Strahan gets to him, he falls flat on top of MS. MS is squished, and after 3 sacks, he doesn't want to get near JR ever again.

As for the Trent Green reference, imagine you are a LB.You run around the egde, and suddenly here comes 300 pounds of JR at you. Are going to wait for him to hit you, or are you just going to fall down and pretend you slipped? And if he hit you, do you think you would get up and holler and scream? You might scream, but it would be from the stretcher they were taking you away on.

Who needs pulling guards when you can have pulling QB's? Imagine how much better Bush would have been last year if Brees were 300 pounds and played QB/FB! The option play would live again, as no CB would ever attempt to tackle a steam roller like that.

Once again, Al Davis and his devious mind are changing football as we know it.

pulling QB! LMAO

Yeah, I think that's probably a pretty terrible assessment.

Vince Young is a fat Michael Vick....with out the dogs.

Jamarcus can throw the ball, he's got good accuracy, touch, and arm strength....he's not mobile...but neither are most 6'6" 260 lb. men.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom