Jabari Greer elected into Saints Hall Of Fame (1 Viewer)

After the disappointing 2007 and 2008 seasons, it was greatness when we signed Jabari as a free agent on March 4, 2009. Darren Sharper signed on March 24.

QB's had the second worst passer rating in 2009 when targeting Greer. Only Revis was better.
I still remember him coming down and his knee doing that thing knees do when they get blown out in a non contact injury. I instantly said he was done and wish so badly I had been wrong. He’s without a doubt my favorite CB to wear black and gold, and I so badly wish he hadn’t gone for that ball on that play. No doubt that was the beginning of the end for our D and our dynasty window closed when that happened.

I feel like 4 years is a little short for a "HOF" career, but if anyone deserves it it's him. When you look at the arc of the Saints defense success, the D was trash the year before he got here, and trash the year after he left.
It peaked in 2013 when somehow the stars aligned for Greer, Keenan Lewis, and Junior Galette to actually all play at the same time for half the season.

If we're doing an All Time Saints Defense, who are the starting Corners? I came up watching The Dome Patrol so I don't know much about our Corners before the late 80's. We just didn't have many great Corners. Hell we didn't have that many good Corners. So for me the pre-toast version of Fred Thomas was as good as it was going to get. Then when I saw Greer and I was like wow, this is what a really good Corner looks like.

If we're doing an All Time Saints Defense, who are the starting Corners? I came up watching The Dome Patrol so I don't know much about our Corners before the late 80's. We just didn't have many great Corners. Hell we didn't have that many good Corners. So for me the pre-toast version of Fred Thomas was as good as it was going to get. Then when I saw Greer and I was like wow, this is what a really good Corner looks like.
Lattimore and Greer has to be the all time Saints starting CBs by far. Both are/were All-Pro level cover corners. It’s a shame Greer never got AP selections. He definitely deserved two while he was here, even if they were second team All-Pro selections. Greer’s ’09 season was all time NFL great in coverage, but media’s AP selections for CBs are based on who has the most INTs way too much.

Dave Waymer and Toi Cook were really good during the 80s. Both played all DB positions. I’d have them as the 3rd and 4th CBs.

Lattimore and Greer has to be the all time Saints starting CBs by far. Both are/were All-Pro level cover corners. It’s a shame Greer never got AP selections. He definitely deserved two while he was here, even if they were second team All-Pro selections. Greer’s ’09 season was all time NFL great in coverage, but media’s AP selections for CBs are based on who has the most INTs way too much.

Dave Waymer and Toi Cook were really good during the 80s. Both played all DB positions. I’d have them as the 3rd and 4th CBs.
Yeah those would be my starters based on the players I have seen. Just wasn't sure if we had a Corner who before my time who was on that level. The Saints just haven't had many Corners.

Greer is a good dude. He lived here after his playing days and his wife had a business (small bookstore) on Magazine Street. Sadly she passed away a few years ago. Not sure if Jabari and his kids are still in town or not.

Well deserved. Our first shutdown corner. Vital part of the early 2010s playoff teams, helping us bring home a SB
fify

We'd NEVER had a shut down corner in Saints' history until Greer came. We'd had a few very good corners before he came (i.e. Waymer, Cook, Aaron Glenn), but never a shut down one. I feel like Greer opened a lot of fans' eyes as to what a star cornerback actually is. As someone else mentioned, no corner for the Saints had ever put up the kind of stats he did.

Accolades well deserved and glad to see him "immortalized" in the Saints Hall of Fame.

fify

We'd NEVER had a shut down corner in Saints' history until Greer came. We'd had a few very good corners before he came (i.e. Waymer, Cook, Aaron Glenn), but never a shut down one. I feel like Greer opened a lot of fans' eyes as to what a star cornerback actually is. As someone else mentioned, no corner for the Saints had ever put up the kind of stats he did.

Accolades well deserved and glad to see him "immortalized" in the Saints Hall of Fame.
I went back and fixed it! I had in the 2000s at first out of regard for Dave Waymer. He was a Saint for a decade and played with the Dome Patrol just before I was born, plus an AP honor. At the same time, I never heard of any Saints corner ever known for lockdown coverage before Greer. I knew Greer had to be our first true shutdown CB. I couldn’t believe it took 42 years to finally have one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom