Jack the ripper identified (1 Viewer)

IIRC, the DNA came from the shawl of one of the victims. Some speculate that police handed Kosminski the shawl as they were questioning him or he may have just been a client of the victim (Catherine Eddows?).

He was placed in a institution some time after the murders ended (but there is still a year or 2 in between)

Last edited:
Body Farm director says new Jack the Ripper evidence doesn't close the case
"I'd like to see more tests being done before we truly link a family who has living descendants today to such a name as Jack the Ripper."

This latest research into the over 130-year-old cold case has sparked a lot of conversation.

However, Dawnie Steadman, director of the Forensic Anthropology Center at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville, also known as The Body Farm, warns this one study does not completely close the case. . . .

She said there are some potential problems with some of the testing methods. Primarily, the shawl, which was the only physical piece of evidence in this case, was passed down through the generations from family members of the police officer who originally collected it. She said many people have handled it, and they know some bloody parts were cut away from it, which damages evidence. . . .

Steadman said this type of DNA works well for tracing the female victim, but the male suspect cannot pass down mitochondrial DNA.
"It wasn't clear from the article who on his side of his family they actually got the reference DNA from," Steadman said. "I think that should, perhaps, be a little bit more transparent."

Overall, Steadmam said she does not think the Jack the Ripper case will ever be solved.

IIRC, the DNA came from the shawl of one of the victims. Some speculate that police handed Kosminski the shawl as they were questioning him or he may have just been a client of the victim (Catherine Eddows?).

He was placed in a institution some time after the murders ended (but there is still a year or 2 in between)

I read the dna was from semen on the victims clothing. Was she a Lewinsky?

I read about it. Interesting. But don't think forensic folk can say beyond a reasonable doubt.
DNA tests have helped catch other killers though. Very cool.

They have added the highly contaminated shawl to kominski/kosminski whatever the spelling is, in all probability. Or they have tied a customer to a adult entertainer,one of many customers. After a century plus that is actually well done. Still not case closed but it is interesting.

Wonder ion they can trace his handwriting to any of the letters. They claim he couldn't speak english well. Or does this mean all the letters are fakes?

They have added the highly contaminated shawl to kominski/kosminski whatever the spelling is, in all probability. Or they have tied a customer to a adult entertainer,one of many customers. After a century plus that is actually well done. Still not case closed but it is interesting.

I agree we'll never be 100% certain. The case is just too old. That said,Kominski was a barber. Barbers in the 19th century
were very different than the ones we see today. Those in early era's also performed surgery and dentistry. One thing is
certain. Whoever committed these grisly murders had good knowledge of the human anatomy. That's the reason Kominski
was a prime suspect at the time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom