Jacob Eason the real deal (1 Viewer)

cbord12

Veteran
Reaction score
I really hope the Saints dig into this guys film. He reminds me of a taller, stronger Brees. Not saying he will ever sniff Drew's accomplishments, but he has great pocket awareness and accuracy. Good foot work and movement inside the pocket and makes NFL reads. Honestly, if not for an injury would of never left Georgia after Fromm took over. I think he is top 3 QB prospect in this class. My opinion doesn't mean much, but something about this guy screams success in NFL, when compared to Hebert or Love. I think e would really thrive in Payton's offensive scheme and could sit for a year to learn from Brees. I would not be mad burning 1st rd pick on him, since we dont have a 2nd. Maybe we could trade back, pick up a 2nd and get this guy and a WR.

That's the full set now, I think? A separate thread for every QB not good enough to go in the first round but somehow worth us drafting in the first round?

Don't be like the 2011 draft.

I would allow every other team to overproject these less than solid QBs and let the much better players at other positions fall to us.

There is an object lesson to be learned from the top of the 2011 draft:

† = Pro Bowler

Rnd. Pick # NFL team Player piece of work.
1 1 Carolina Panthers Cam Newton † QB
1 2 Denver Broncos Von Miller † LB
1 3 Buffalo Bills Marcell Dareus † DT
1 4 Cincinnati Bengals A. J. Green † WR
1 5 Arizona Cardinals Patrick Peterson † CB
1 6 Atlanta Falcons Julio Jones † WR Alabama
1 7 San Francisco 49ers Aldon Smith † LB
1 8 Tennessee Titans Jake Locker QB
1 9 Dallas Cowboys Tyron Smith † OT
1 10 Jacksonville Jaguars Blaine Gabbert QB
1 11 Houston Texans J. J. Watt † DE
1 12 Minnesota Vikings Christian Ponder QB
1 13 Detroit Lions Nick Fairley DT
1 14 St. Louis Rams Robert Quinn † DE
1 15 Miami Dolphins Mike Pouncey † C
1 16 Washington Redskins Ryan Kerrigan †
1 17 New England Patriots Nate Solder

J. J. Watt was drafted by the Houston Texans and has been voted defensive player of the year three times by AP and three times by the PFWA.

The other non-QBs have done pretty well for themselves as well. By reaching for the likes of Gabbert, Locker and Ponder, those teams missed out on some very good and occasionally excellent players, and left themselves still looking for another QB a few years down the line.

No thanks.

Great arm. But it doesn’t translate to the field. His play also falls off a cliff as the game goes on.

i like eason for the saints........especially in the 3rd round...........wonderful arm and good presence in the pocket

Here are comments from his draft profile on nfl.com. Based on their score, he's somewhere between a player who might become a starter in 2 years, or is likely to be a back up. On the high end they compare him to Carson Palmer, on the low end, Brock Osweiler. Theres an ocean of difference between those two.

Full article here: https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jacob-eason?id=32194541-5338-2386-3401-72035bd47e1c

Strengths
  • Strapping pocket-passer prototype
  • Has frame and arm strength to excite evaluators
  • Accuracy is his working default on most throws
  • Can step and rip it between two levels of defenders
  • Velocity helps mitigate average anticipation
  • Arm strength to challenge secondary anywhere on field
  • Deep-ball accuracy on play-action shots
  • Alters trajectory to outpace trailing coverage deep
  • Big hands secure the football through contact
  • Willing to hold and throw through edge pressure
  • Disguises screen intentions

Weaknesses
  • Deep dropbacks hurt his pass protection
  • Setup for quick outs and slants takes too long
  • Inconsistent timing on intermediate throws
  • Needs to trust the route runner and avert gaze early on
  • Was highly ineffective under duress
  • Fails to expedite his process when pressure mounts
  • Shows tendency to drop eyes and panic against the interior blitz
  • Below-average escapability and running talent
  • Takes sacks rather than getting rid of the ball
  • Needs to improve footwork and discipline for full-field reads
  • Circles up and out of the pocket if half-field reads aren't open

The guy is a big arm & that’s pretty much where the positives end. Eason’s a Pressure player/EDGE/Pass Rushers delight. That dude is an easy sack waiting to happen. & Eason literally wilts under pressure. I mean, watch the games. He’s a game manager who happens to have a cannon arm. If youre gonna ask him to win a game, or come from behind, youre team is screwed. Again, watch a couple of his games in their entirety & its easy to see. Eason is a QB2 at best who on the high end is Derek Anderson, & on the low, is Zach Mettenberger.

There is nothing Brees-like about Eason. Despite all of his physical attributes, he couldn't beat out Fromm at UGA.

He actually did beat out Fromm and started the season for the Bulldogs. He got injured and never gained the job back, most likely do to the momentum that Fromm built while leading the team to the SEC Championship. Also a terrible barometer to judge someone, when the consensus #1 overall pick (Burrow) could not beat out two guys, that but most expert analyst, are not starting NFL QBs (Haskins and Barrett). Burrow was on the receiving end of misfortune and needed a change of scenery. I would definitely love to hear your opinion and supporting facts, not the lazy comment like the one you provided.

All his weaknesses are correctable under the right coach and mentors. He has the physical traits and mental toughness. He reads the field well and delivers an accurate ball. I would rather take him in the 2nd but unfortunately we don't have a 1st and he wont be available in the 3rd as someone mentioned.

He actually did beat out Fromm and started the season for the Bulldogs. He got injured and never gained the job back, most likely do to the momentum that Fromm built while leading the team to the SEC Championship. Also a terrible barometer to judge someone, when the consensus #1 overall pick (Burrow) could not beat out two guys, that but most expert analyst, are not starting NFL QBs (Haskins and Barrett). Burrow was on the receiving end of misfortune and needed a change of scenery. I would definitely love to hear your opinion and supporting facts, not the lazy comment like the one you provided.

All his weaknesses are correctable under the right coach and mentors. He has the physical traits and mental toughness. He reads the field well and delivers an accurate ball. I would rather take him in the 2nd but unfortunately we don't have a 1st and he wont be available in the 3rd as someone mentioned.
I've been saying this for months.

The Burrow hypocrisy here is breathtaking.

Eason
Chase Claypool
Denzel Mims

Are my top 3 cloud players at 24 overall.

I like Claypool the best but Eason makes most sense for this franchise.

Jake Luton isn't far behind athletically and was third in Ball Velocity behind Eason and one other player. Luton scored even higher on the Wonderlic.

If they miss out on Eason then Luton, and Tyler Huntley are the next most physically gifted Qbs in the draft.

I also would love Mason Fine late.

Here are comments from his draft profile on nfl.com. Based on their score, he's somewhere between a player who might become a starter in 2 years, or is likely to be a back up. On the high end they compare him to Carson Palmer, on the low end, Brock Osweiler. Theres an ocean of difference between those two.

Full article here: https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jacob-eason?id=32194541-5338-2386-3401-72035bd47e1c

Strengths
  • Strapping pocket-passer prototype
  • Has frame and arm strength to excite evaluators
  • Accuracy is his working default on most throws
  • Can step and rip it between two levels of defenders
  • Velocity helps mitigate average anticipation
  • Arm strength to challenge secondary anywhere on field
  • Deep-ball accuracy on play-action shots
  • Alters trajectory to outpace trailing coverage deep
  • Big hands secure the football through contact
  • Willing to hold and throw through edge pressure
  • Disguises screen intentions

Weaknesses
  • Deep dropbacks hurt his pass protection
  • Setup for quick outs and slants takes too long
  • Inconsistent timing on intermediate throws
  • Needs to trust the route runner and avert gaze early on
  • Was highly ineffective under duress
  • Fails to expedite his process when pressure mounts
  • Shows tendency to drop eyes and panic against the interior blitz
  • Below-average escapability and running talent
  • Takes sacks rather than getting rid of the ball
  • Needs to improve footwork and discipline for full-field reads
  • Circles up and out of the pocket if half-field reads aren't open
Carson Palmer is a good comparison.

I think I'll pass but hopefully somebody pick him before we do in the 1st round.

He actually did beat out Fromm and started the season for the Bulldogs. He got injured and never gained the job back...

This is really not entirely true... Eason was a huge recruit for former UGA head coach and monumental disappointment Mark Richt. Eason started the season as the Bulldogs starting QB because Fromm was a green/wide-eyed freshman. The Bulldogs started out looking sluggish and mechanical on offense with Eason at the helm. He was a statue back there in the pocket, and had zero touch on any of his passes. Georgia fans rejoiced when he went down and the unknown Fromm got his chance... mainly because they knew Eason was NOT the answer and at least Fromm had a chance to be good. Fromm performed well with a bevy of great RBs at his disposal, and Eason ran back to his home state of Washington because he knew he was done at Georgia.
I’m telling you... I have nothing personal against Eason, but he’s not a good QB. He’s got a canon for an arm, but that’s it.

I would compare him to former Seattle QB Dan McGwire. McGwire was a former 1st round pick; taken because he had a great arm... and I see the same ending for Eason as Mark’s brother.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom