Jacob Hester as Mr. Irrelevant? (1 Viewer)

How does Hester's draft stock measure up to that kid from Tulane?

imo, if we are looking to pickup a RB and both are available, I would grab the Tulane guy - and I am a LSU homer.

He would be a perfect fit for the Patriots.

I thought the same thing. The Pats would use him perfectly, but on many other teams I don't see him much more than a special teams guy. Unless he gets bigger.

He will be drafted.

my guess is that hester will be undrafted, sign with a team as a FA, get cut on the last cut but make the practice squad somewhere...

He has 2 things going for him: Football Intelligence, and vision. You can always find backs with speed, but those two things are rare. He's also a pretty good at piking up the blitz, which kills a lot of backs.

He's a 4th on guts and talent, but prolly a 5th-6th pick. He'll have a good long career, but he won't be a superstar. Reminds me a lot of the guy the Oilers/Titans had, Frank Wycheck, except a little shorter. He'll make someone a good H-back for the next 6 years.

Lo Neal isn't getting any younger. Betcha LT wouldn't mind having Hester pave the way for him.

This may not be a popular sentiment on this board, however, I find Hester to be quite over-rated. I was more impressed with the backs behind him in the LSU lineup. He does have value and will contribute at the next level but not as a starter in my opinion.

I agree totally about the backups. I screamed all year it was ridiculous that we played "Hester Ball" everytime Scott, Williams, or Holliday touched the ball it was big yardage. However, even with one of those guys getting the bulk I still loved Hester for short yardage, and 2 RB 3rd down situations. He is the inverse of Reggie Bush, he's multi talented but in different ways. He's a good blocker, he's very smart, he is a decent receiver out of the backfield and GREAT short yardage runner. I've seen very few players that have his ability to get a tough yard or two.

That being said I believe he's a great fit for the Saints. Obviously we are loaded at RB, but with Hester you can get rid of Stecker. Also I believe something will have to be done with Deuce. Hester can be a special teamer, flex back, slot WR, FB, HB, etc. It's a burden with all our RB's, but I believe this preseaon they have to trim it down...I wouldn't be suprised to see us go into 2008 with Reggie, Pierre, and a rookie.

You are a homer but you are also correct. Flynn is in the correct spot but Hester and Chevis should both be gone by round 4 or 5

That's a nice Saints mock.

1: Leodis McKelvin (CB)
2: Quentin Groves (DE/OLB)
3: Tavares Gooden (OLB/MLB)
4: Eric Young (G)
5: Tom Zbikowski (S)
6: Tommy Blake (DE)
7: Breno Giacomni (OL)

Last edited:
With the fullback position becoming the Dodo bird of the NFL, it's not surprising to see Hester projected that low or an UDFA...

He can be an effective utility/special teams player, but unfortunately for Hester, roster spots will be hard to come by on most NFL teams.

That's a nice Saints mock.

1: Leodis McKelvin (CB)
2: Quentin Groves (DE/OLB)
3: Tavares Gooden (OLB/MLB)
4: Eric Young (G)
5: Tom Zbikowski (S)
6: Tommy Blake (DE)
7: Breno Giacomni (OL)

What does this have to do with Hester?:dunno:

Hester should fit in somewhere. He has too many talents not to make it. What round is debatable.

I really like Jackson, but he's too slow for CB. Great size though.

Hester is a solid pick in the 4th or 5th round -- cannot see him falling below that -- I would not mind if the Saints drafted him -- he is not a starter (unless its at fullback) but he can put up some solid numbers -- he did play in the SEC which has the toughest defenses around -- the games I saw him play in he was faster then I originally had thought of him

This may not be a popular sentiment on this board, however, I find Hester to be quite over-rated. I was more impressed with the backs behind him in the LSU lineup. He does have value and will contribute at the next level but not as a starter in my opinion.

Actually I can sort of agree with this. I agree that he might be overrated by us LSU fans as a running back. As a FB, he could find his niche on the next level. Versatile fullbacks are starting to be utilized more and more in today's offenses. He's pretty good at everything, but great at nothing. He can block, run, and catch pretty well, and I think that gives him a chance in the NFL.

im definate some team might take a shot at him at 3rd round,,but be picked in the 4th,,,he free up roster spot he can back up rb and fb,,,st player also can be a h-back type player,,his versitility make him sure spot on roster and middle round draft pick

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom