Jacob Hester as the Saints FB? (1 Viewer)

Would you like to see Jacob Hester as the Saint's next possible fullback?

• Yes

Votes: 64 24.2%
  • No

Votes: 200 75.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Necrocajun

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
After watching the BCS game, I entertained a thought that I'd like to see the Saints consider. What if Hester fell to the second day of the draft, I think it would be cool if the Saints picked him up as a possible fullback. Against the number one defense in the nation in Ohio State (even though LSU straight up embarrassed and outplayed them :hihi:) that can compare with some NFL defenses, to an extent, with its All-American talent; Hester looked really good! The man can run with the rock and rarely fumbles, has great hands and can catch out of the backfield, has the power and ability to block pretty much everybody (hint, hint...a certain OSU linebacker touted as a top 10 pick) for run and pass protection, can play special teams. This guy is a beast! I remember the announcer commenting that he could play linebacker and safety if he wanted to as well. No disrespect to Mike Karney, but what a weapon AND shield Hester could be for the Saints offense! Granted, I'm not a draft expert and I don't know if Hester would need to bulk up or gain speed to fit the mold of an NFL fullback, but wouldn't he be a great fit for the Black and Gold! Can you see him blocking for Drew, Deuce, Reggie, Aaron and Pierre...blocking downfield for our receiving corp, getting the occasional rock to pound it between the tackles with power when the opposing D doesn't expect it, being a RELIABLE set of hands to catch passes out of the backfield and give Drew yet another safety valve...this guy can bring a lot to the table for a potential second day pick. Now, I don't know if he raised his stock tremendously from this game or what his stock will be like after the combine. But I think he would be well worth a 4th round pick. Second day picks seldom make an impact outside of special teams or depth behind starters. (Colston and Evans are our current exceptions to the rule) I truly believe he's worth the low risk of a second day pick. He's a vintage-style player with more than enough heart and soul to play the game.

I've been reading these forums for years now, but I've recently registered and this is my very first post. I've seen quite a number of people get grilled for their "insight". But I do feel I make for a worthy conversation with my first thread. Positive, neutral and negative thoughts are always welcome! :9:

no no no...

Haven't you read Saintsreport this past couple of days? All LSU players are overrated. No LSU players could help improve the Saints. According to SR, LSU prospects will be available as follows:

10th Pick - Glenn Dorsey
3rd Round - Ali Highsmith, Early Doucet
7th Round - Chevis Jackson
UDFA - Hester, Steltz

no no no...

Haven't you read Saintsreport this past couple of days? All LSU players are overrated. No LSU players could help improve the Saints. According to SR, LSU prospects will be available as follows:

10th Pick - Glenn Dorsey
UDFA - Hester, Steltz
not being rude but this is a horrible thought of an idea
. i'll take our FB over him anyday

We will probably keep only one fullback and I seriously doubt he will even come close to beating out Karney. Someone else may pick him up though.

between this and the trade reggie bush garbage i dont know whats worse. why in the world would we get rid of karney.

No, I didn't get the memo on that one! I didn't think that the LSU players entering the draft were scouted so low! Especially Highsmith and Doucet in the 3rd round. Most mocks have them in the upper 1st and lower to mid 2nd.

Purple and Geauxld SuperBowl? LOL

between this and the trade reggie bush garbage i dont know whats worse. why in the world would we get rid of karney.

We wouldn't. Payton would like to carry two fullbacks on the roster. This year, we carried four TEs because he thought the combination of those TEs were better than the options at FB. Last season, we carried two fullbacks going into the season until Keith Joseph got hurt. So, I can see him bringing in Hester as a backup FB and a short yardage RB. Mike Detellier recently mentioned something similar on the radio.

No , I will want to beat my head against a wall until I either cannot think straight anymore, or I am dead if we draft Hester. We DON'T need him. That is just as dumb as the Bush trade as mentioned above. Let Hester run for anybody but the Saints.

Wow, I didn't expect to get seared this bad on my first thread! :hihi: I'm not suggesting we get rid of Karney. He is on the cusp of being a Pro Bowl fb. I'm just speculating here. Just playing a little "what if" here.

Fellas, I was being SARCASTIC. I was just summarizing some of the BS that has been posted about LSU players on this board lately.

Hester is no FB, unless he sits out a year learning the position and puts on 30+ pounds of muscle.

He can play in a patriots-type running game as an H-back type. He'll be a decent special teams contributor in the NFL and maybe get some spot carries, but it has to be the right system.

no no no...

10th Pick - Glenn Dorsey
UDFA - Hester, Steltz

Highsmith is a 2nd round pick, Doucet 1st round pick, Jackson 2nd round pick, Steltz 4th.

Okay fine, let me alter my thread a bit. Is he worth a 7th round or rookie free agent pick up to see how he would fare in camp?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom